Player Watch #31: Oleg Markov

Remove this Banner Ad

If he goes he goes. Disappointing for us... maybe. Let’s see what he does elsewhere.

Might be the unluckiest Richmond player to not have a premiership medal. Played seniors in each of 17, 19 and 20.
Any other game last week and he would have played.

Houli mentioned calf tightness in the warm up, should have been a late out with Markov as the emergency to come in.

Single or dual premiership players who aren't on our list any more:
* Alex Rance (retired, too soon but created spot for Balta)
* Jacob Townsend (delisted, I'd rather be lucky than good)
* Dan Butler (traded, squeezed out as a surplus small forward)
* Shaun Grigg (retired, premiership ruckman)
* Brandon Ellis (free agency, it's a job after you've won two flags)

Looking at this list, the club has done an amazing job to keep our core team intact.

did u see him when we played him this year

speed and elite footskills

Imho opinion elite speed definitely, improved foot skills....not sure about elite footskills?

Imho opinion elite speed definitely, improved foot skills....not sure about elite footskills?

He is a long penetrating kick, which is always useful. But some of the weight off passes he pulled off this year whilst running at full speed with opponents in pursuit were very very skilful kicks. And not only that, very smart kicks rather than bombing to spare defenders.

I thought he was really good overall in the games he played and he is a loss. Nice effort too after most of us - me included - had him delisted. Good luck to the guy, hope he gets 6-7 good seasons in at least. Smart recruiting by Suns imo, while clubs are playing massive money for players that may not prove to be all that much better than Markov.

He is a long penetrating kick, which is always useful. But some of the weight off passes he pulled off this year whilst running at full speed with opponents in pursuit were very very skilful kicks. And not only that, very smart kicks rather than bombing to spare defenders.

I thought he was really good overall in the games he played and he is a loss. Nice effort too after most of us - me included - had him delisted. Good luck to the guy, hope he gets 6-7 good seasons in at least. Smart recruiting by Suns imo, while clubs are playing massive money for players that may not prove to be all that much better than Markov.

Maybe I didn't watch him closely enough. Will go back and have another look.... certainly think he stepped up another level this season though....👍

Would have prefered Houli to have retired and keep Markov but still i wasnt convinced he could get that deer in headlights s**t out of his game so in the end im not worried if he goes and hope he does well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So without father son, NGA picks or trades for picks and FA compo, and say the Suns finish 10th next year which is a huge possibility, it's pick 46.
However with the aforementioned to still factor, it will likely be at pick 55+.
I'm just glad it's next year's draft and not this year's.

Last edited:
God we got bent over in this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is nothing more than a good will gesture by the Tigers. If Markov was delisted he'd be lucky to get a gig elsewhere. By accommodating trades with GC we are laying down the groundwork for any future trades coming back our way. The club finds Markov a home, it costs us bugger all and we are seen as a club that is a good to do business with and one that looks after players leaving. Well done by the Tigers.

God we got bent over in this deal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Headline we won't see: "B2B Tigers play Dodoro style hardball on gun half back"

Headline we won't see: "Powerhouse Club Suns bend minow Tigers over on fringe half back"

Headline we might see: "Clever Tigers feather nest for future gun Suns trades"

This is nothing more than a good will gesture by the Tigers. If Markov was delisted he'd be lucky to get a gig elsewhere. By accommodating trades with GC we are laying down the groundwork for any future trades coming back our way. The club finds Markov a home, it costs us bugger all and we are seen as a club that is a good to do business with and one that looks after players leaving. Well done by the Tigers.
You are kidding aren't you. Lucky to get gig elsewhere. He was dead unlucky not to be in our Premiership side. He is not like most of the players we have let go, he has plenty of AFL attributes, the main one being speed. He is 189cm, has a decent leg and has been very unlucky with injuries. That is giving a good player away for nothing. Will be a better player I think than Ellis.

Fire sale price.

But it’s not as though we never got anything from the Suns.... 🏆🏆🏆

When you put it like that & comparing players from both directions & consequences. We are sooo far in front......very good point🥳

The deal is fair, given all the circumstances he's never going to hold much currency.
All the best to him. 20 something games in 4 or 5 years and still a reserves player at 24 years of age, it's hardly a huge loss. We'll be fine. Ellis who was a regular best 22 for 180ish games was a far bigger loss than Markov.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back