Rookie 31. Oscar Murdoch (2022 -)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pays to play well in big games. He was country's BOG in that close loss to Metro in September. The "Under 18 Grand Final"

His opponent was Harry Sheezel. Sheezel still played well and kicked 2 but Murdoch out marked him from behind about 4 times one on one.
If you hadn’t seen any of this kid apart from highlights and read this post you’d be accused for thinking he‘s a top 20 pick. Great size and there’s just something about a smooth left footer.

Not a bad throw at the stumps for me.

Let's hope Oscar will be the next Dane Rampe - an A-grade leftie taken in the rookie draft.

Anyway he has a good vertical leap, clean hands, a strong body and, unlike Nic Stevens, takes contested marks. I liked Nic but he couldn't compete in the air for some reason. Murdoch, on the other hand, seems a great interceptor ( newish buzz word in footy).

Let's hope Oscar will be the next Dane Rampe - an A-grade leftie taken in the rookie draft.

Anyway he has a good vertical leap, clean hands, a strong body and, unlike Nic Stevens, takes contested marks. I liked Nic but he couldn't compete in the air for some reason. Murdoch, on the other hand, seems a great interceptor ( newish buzz word in footy).

Those one on one's where he out pointed Sheezel suggests he’s not only a good reader of the play and ball flight, but has talent too. Certainly something to work with.

Those one on one's where he out pointed Sheezel suggests he’s not only a good reader of the play and ball flight, but has talent too. Certainly something to work with.
Going to have some good people around him as well to teach him how to play defence at the AFL level.
Would be picking Tom Stewart James Kelly and Matthew Egan's brains at every chance I could get if I were Oscar

They stuck a shot of him kicking off the right in the clip. Just a 25m chip though.

Yep, the one at the 35 sec mark. He was near the boundary and managed to kicked it to a team mate close to the boundary.
He handled it well. My concern is with players who are forced to kick off the non prefered and cannot hit a target or if squeezed on the boundary, kick it OOTF.

Last edited:
Yep, the one at the 35 sec mark. He was near the boundary and managed to kicked it to a team mate close to the boundary.
He handle it well. My concern is with players who are forced to kick off the non prefered and cannot hit a target or if squeezed on the boundary, kick it OOTF.
Yeah he nailed that one. I don't think junior coaches push lefties as much to use their non-preferred but I think he may be OK

Interesting viewing, looking at the presser with Clohesy and Murdoch. Clohesy listed as 184 and Murdoch as 190, but I'd say there's a good 3 inches, if not 4 inches between the two. Reckon he's had a growth spurt since last measured. Means that Murdoch could be 192+, or as much as 194 and KPP size.

Gives us that late KPD we were looking for if he has grown a bit more. Very good skills too. Lot to like about the kid based on highlights and draft write up though, regardless of height.

Last edited:
Really like this pick - impressive highlights and looks to be a fantastic size already.
Getting Hayden Young ( Dockers) vibes and would take that every day of the week.
Medium term replacement for Duncan and Tuohy in distributing the pill off half back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To make it at AFL level every player needs to have at least one string to their bow.
A skill or strength that holds up when things get tough
Judging by his limited highlights video Oscar Murdoch appears to have a few.
He is a strong overhead mark. Reads the flight and positions him self well
Knows how to use his body to move his opponent under the ball.
Composed and looks for a pass to a teammate rather than kicking it long.
Good size at 190cm with clean skills by hand and foot and fair leg speed.
Competitive and versatile has ability to play on both smaller and taller opponents.

Strong making players will always be looked upon favorably...
Means he will very likely get a game in the senior team sometime.
If he looks comfortable at senior pace he could develop into a great defensive interceptor.
Another player with high potential ... one to keep you eye on.

Really like this pick - impressive highlights and looks to be a fantastic size already.
Getting Hayden Young ( Dockers) vibes and would take that every day of the week.
Medium term replacement for Duncan and Tuohy in distributing the pill off half back?

The separator with Young (and this isn't a slight on Murdoch at all) is his kicking. He doesn't get spoken about because he's not yet a household name, but he's close to if not THE best kick in the competition.

I remember seeing some of his kicking in his draft year, it's surgeon like. Could cut through the corridor perfectly with a 60 metre dart.

interesting but very good comparison, Me likey.

If kid if 1/2 as good we've done really well

GO Catters

The separator with Young (and this isn't a slight on Murdoch at all) is his kicking. He doesn't get spoken about because he's not yet a household name, but he's close to if not THE best kick in the competition.

I remember seeing some of his kicking in his draft year, it's surgeon like. Could cut through the corridor perfectly with a 60 metre dart.

Agree - I've seen a bit of Young over here and have been super impressed. He's hard at it , magnificent overhead and as you say his left peg is elite.

Limited footage but Murdoch looks to have that typical rangy left footer kicking style , most of the footage was shorter passes so will be interesting how he goes with longer options.
Big lad though - reckon he'll roost it OK :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back