Player Watch #31 Rhyan Mansell

Remove this Banner Ad

Garth was totally crap and Astbury also very patchy
backline was not really great but Lions were crap and made our backs look better than they were to be honest
Totally disagree mate, I think the backline struggled for a large period of the second quarter. During this period we got absolutely smashed in the clearances (Nank was off) and the ball was being pumped in by the Lions midfield.

Outside of this time, I felt the entire backline was very strong.

Garth was totally crap and Astbury also very patchy
backline was not really great but Lions were crap and made our backs look better than they were to be honest
You keep your opponent to a lower score than yourself and job done. No Balta, Broad Vlas or Houli. I'll take it. TBH I think our midfield finally put in a good performance and that helped forwards and backs. I hope Astbury ain't injured !

You keep your opponent to a lower score than yourself and job done. No Balta, Broad Vlas or Houli. I'll take it. TBH I think our midfield finally put in a good performance and that helped forwards and backs. I hope Astbury ain't injured !
How bad could it be if he volunteered to chair jack off? He'll be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally disagree mate, I think the backline struggled for a large period of the second quarter. During this period we got absolutely smashed in the clearances (Nank was off) and the ball was being pumped in by the Lions midfield.

Outside of this time, I felt the entire backline was very strong.

100% agree. Watching the game i thought our backline was very very poor and easily exposed. We are exceptionally lucky to be facing them with Cameron & possibly Rohan to be out. Might be a decent time to bring in Miller, another option to throw at Hawkins, along with Astbury

I thought Mansell though was excellent, really liked his game

Last edited:
100% agree. Watching the game i thought our backline was very very poor and easily exposed. We are exceptionally lucky to be facing them with Cameron & possibly Rohan to be out. Might be a decent time to bring in Miller, another option to throw at Hawkins, along with Astbury

I thought Mansell though was excellent, really liked his game
Some people have unrealistic expectations, that backline has been thrown together with four of the starting six missing and wonder why they might struggle against a top four team who dominated the midfield at different stages. Mansell has been a huge bonus this year and it is great to see the young bloke doing so well.

Some people have unrealistic expectations, that backline has been thrown together with four of the starting six missing and wonder why they might struggle against a top four team who dominated the midfield at different stages. Mansell has been a huge bonus this year and it is great to see the young bloke doing so well.

To be honest i thought our backline struggled before the injuries too - I think we are a KPD short, even with our full side in.

I read the Carlton board occasionally for a laugh and they talked about how guys like Cripps and other senior players need to shift and get the younger players in to certain positions to give them a go and develop.

It made me think of how we have shifted pieces to get Mansell into the team with Baker playing further down the ground. I think it's great what they have done this year with Mansell and he is given a chance to develop in the 1s. In a year where I think it's hard to say whether the injuries have really found us any long term senior players I think Mansell is so far the most likely. RCD too but it feels more like he was just a straight swap for other mids rather than actually moving players to accommodate someone new.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back