Player Watch #31 Rhyan Mansell

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see it so far. I know we give kids time but he's a bit older and has some experience against men.

I see a Steven Morris type. Tough, hard and will give his best every week but limited and an indicator of a average to bad team if he is getting a lot of games.

The team is probably due for a down period soon so I could see him playing him a bunch of games...like Morris did.

Last edited:
I don't see it so far. I know we give kids time but he's a bit older and has some experience against men.

I see a Steven Morris type. Tough, hard and will give his best every week but limited and an indicator of a average to bad team if he is getting a lot of games.

The team is probably due for a down period soon so I could see him playing him a bunch of games...like Morris did.
Reckon hes a bit better or has the scope to be better than Morris, taller, quicker, better ball user. Hes hard as a cats head, reckon he could turn into a real handy lockdown small defender.

Reckon hes a bit better or has the scope to be better than Morris, taller, quicker, better ball user. Hes hard as a cats head, reckon he could turn into a real handy lockdown small defender.
He's a much better player than Morris. Has his hardness and desperation but couples it with footy nous, clean hands and good ball use. Honestly have no idea how people can watch him play and not see his brilliant defensive efforts and think 'geez we bagged another gem here.' Needs to reign in the temper and not give away the silly frees but he'll get that stamped out of him.

He's a much better player than Morris. Has his hardness and desperation but couples it with footy nous, clean hands and good ball use. Honestly have no idea how people can watch him play and not see his brilliant defensive efforts and think 'geez we bagged another gem here.' Needs to reign in the temper and no give away the silly frees but he'll get that stamped out of him.
Understands the game plan too. This is where so many people for so long thought Broad was meh but he understands the game plan and plays it really well. Mansell is def a keeper. Im with the 'geez we bagged another gem here' crowd

Understands the game plan too. This is where so many people for so long thought Broad was meh but he understands the game plan and plays it really well. Mansell is def a keeper. Im with the 'geez we bagged another gem here' crowd
Agreed. He's got an edge on players like Short and Houli etc who play off the backline in that he has a real defensive streak. If we genuinely want to move Baker into a mid/forward role (which I think we should) Mansell has his spot sewn up imo. Most natural small defender we have.

I’m a big fan of this kid.
Not afraid of a moment. Puts his head over it and has plenty of courage. Looks like he loves the niggle which is how you want your back pocket to be. Execution of skills are going to be slowly worked on. But he looks to me like he is very capable of solid decision making with ball in hand.
Give him a pre season at least before we right a kid off whose going to play double digit games in his first year of senior footy.

Possibly. I hope so. Although Morris was 185cm, Mansell 180cm.

Plenty of people told me I was wrong about Morris back in the day and he was a good player. I do see some positive traits with Mansell but wouldn't be surprised if he only plays 50 odd games. We will see.

Plenty of people told me I was wrong about Morris back in the day and he was a good player. I do see some positive traits with Mansell but wouldn't be surprised if he only plays 50 odd games. We will see.
Morris only had one gear, so full speed ahead that he left the ball behind half the time. But he had some great attributes, some of these Mansell has, but so far has not really done much wrong with ball in hand, seems to have decent vision and decent skills. You've just got to shake that Morris image out of your head.

Morris only had one gear, so full speed ahead that he left the ball behind half the time. But he had some great attributes, some of these Mansell has, but so far has not really done much wrong with ball in hand, seems to have decent vision and decent skills. You've just got to shake that Morris image out of your head.

Image I have of Morris playing like Wayne Carey in vfl gf.

Made the williamstown fans mocking him all day look like dills

lol legit. Seems bigger to me 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been absolutely brilliant, and I love the way he plays, with contained aggression and confidence.

I don’t see the Morris comparisons at all.

I see a mixture of Nathan Wilson and Neville Jetta. He’s Wilson with the ball and Jetta without it. Will be a very good player for us.

Plus he’s 21. Christian Salem is hitting his peak at 26. Bachar Houli was AA on the wrong side of 30. He has a lot of improvement left in him.

I don’t see the Morris comparisons at all.

I see a mixture of Nathan Wilson and Neville Jetta. He’s Wilson with the ball and Jetta without it. Will be a very good player for us.

Plus he’s 21. Christian Salem is hitting his peak at 26. Bachar Houli was AA on the wrong side of 30. He has a lot of improvement left in him.

It is incredible how well we seem to be doing with these pre-season and mid-season picks since they were created in the last couple of years and a bit.

Stack, Pickett, Mansell, Parker.

Not so good with Weller and Egg-Smith at this point.

But still, great way to inject talented ready-to-play-if-switched-on types on low wages. Right now that looks like 4 x best 28 footballers(probably about how deep you need to bat to contend) into the club for next to nothing.

Interesting to see how selection shakes out regarding Mansell when some more first choice backmen return, but he certainly looks an AFL level player.

He grew on me as the season went on, his competitiveness is fantastic and through experience he will continue to channel that to hopefully weed out some of the over-zealousness which can lead to some aggressive frees against. He is going to get under the skin of many opponents and opposition supporters for a long time, I love it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back