Player Watch #31 Rhyan Mansell

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
He's in my 22. In the backline. Everyone else can shuffle up the ground. Stack and Short anyhow. Rioli probably found his new home in the backline
I was the source of the Morris comparison. Complimenting Morris's best attributes in the comparison.
I guess when we can pick up good footballers like Mansell, Stack, Baker. We haven't needed a good draft hand.
Be interesting if our recruiters remember what to do with a good draft hand and early picks.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Has a strong defensive bias ,,,more belief will add some dash to his game that he had in spades at lower level
I thought Mansell looked completely at home at the level against top flight opponents from game 1. I saw him play twice. The game vs Brizzy was a good one. I thought he played Kosi Pickett perfectly.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Temped to pick him over Riloi. Think he is a more complete defender. Probably not there yet and you never know Rioli may rise another level as he has only just started as a half back, but Mansell has all the traits besides belief and experience which will come. Might not be starting 22 at the start of the year, but I good chance he will be by the end of it.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought Mansell looked completely at home at the level against top flight opponents from game 1. I saw him play twice. The game vs Brizzy was a good one. I thought he played Kosi Pickett perfectly.
Some nice plays , takes a bit to belong , didn’t see a lot of dash that was apparent in sanfl , that’ll come

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Temped to pick him over Riloi. Think he is a more complete defender. Probably not there yet and you never know Rioli may rise another level as he has only just started as a half back, but Mansell has all the traits besides belief and experience which will come. Might not be starting 22 at the start of the year, but I good chance he will be by the end of it.
Both.

Rioli killed it at half-back. Our new Houli.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Both.

Rioli killed it at half-back. Our new Houli.
I don't think he killed it exactly, big improvement from half forward but I'm not sold just yet. Of course he may go up a gear as he learns the position better. Not sure there is room for both with Short, Baker, Vlas, Stack.

Mansell is tougher and more defensive, is quicker and has a longer kick so he has considerable upside. Someone will have to give up their position for him which in a fully fit side (fingers crossed) won't come easy.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think he killed it exactly, big improvement from half forward but I'm not sold just yet. Of course he may go up a gear as he learns the position better. Not sure there is room for both with Short, Baker, Vlas, Stack.

Mansell is tougher and more defensive, is quicker and has a longer kick so he has considerable upside. Someone will have to give up their position for him which in a fully fit side (fingers crossed) won't come easy.

Why aren't stack and Baker playing forward?

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Why aren't stack and Baker playing forward?
They are too good to be playing forward, after all every small forward we have had has been dropped or should have been, or left the club.

Would much rather see our mids rotate there, Edwards, Cotchin, Dusty, Bolton, all stars and far above those that have been playing there. No more role players and no room for permanent small forwards. MRJ maybe because that is what is his best position, but time will tell if he is good enough, and he would want to be good like Kosi for Melbourne.

Stack is a mid in my eyes, so he could also rest forward if he gets a crack in that role. Baker is very good in the backline so why change him.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
They are too good to be playing forward, after all every small forward we have had has been dropped or should have been, or left the club.

Would much rather see our mids rotate there, Edwards, Cotchin, Dusty, Bolton, all stars and far above those that have been playing there. No more role players and no room for permanent small forwards. MRJ maybe because that is what is his best position, but time will tell if he is good enough, and he would want to be good like Kosi for Melbourne.

Stack is a mid in my eyes, so he could also rest forward if he gets a crack in that role. Baker is very good in the backline so why change him.
Agree. Stack should now be used as a forward/mid. Baker /Rioli and Mansell then are fighting for that backline spot. Although, one could be a rotator from the bench.

Wavvey

All Australian
Apr 4, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Rhyan is one of my favourite young players on our list currently. Even if he doesn’t develop the skills necessary to become an elite player, he gives it a crack. In my opinion, that’s all we can ask for as Tiger fans. Wears the jumper with pride and is willing to put his body on the line every game.

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree

Back