19114-Trade-Period-Tom-Hickey-900x560.jpg

Tom Hickey
[Player Profile TBA]

Tom Hickey
DOB:06 March 1991
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2010 Zone
RECRUITED FROM: Morningside (Qld)/Gold Coast/St Kilda

Glad we got him as he will be a good place holder for a few years.

Plus we are adding to our West Coast ruckman collection of Ball, Seaby, Cox, Sinclair and now Hickey.

I only remember him as a Saint

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Let's go Hickey, hopefully this guy makes us moving Aliir along look less stupid.

Might fix our key forward woes a bit as well letting Sinclair spend more time in the forward line.

Let's go Swans

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
You have an absolute ripper of a bloke in hickey .

Saints fans were telling us how lucky we were to have hickey on our list because of his quality and now I know why. We are passing the hickey torch to you now

He is super professional, every time he played he gave his all , he is a solid 1st ruck and if you plant him close to goal he is a good mark and accurate kick for goal .

Have heard he would stay after training with our young rucks and practice/ train them in his own time .

Awesome club man and very well liked .

He is a true journeyman and I hope he plays well for you guys .

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Will set a new record of fourth club in four different states (subject to playing a game). Anyway hopefully he plays to the best of his abilities and provides some much needed depth.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Welcome Tom, you're just what we needed. A serviceable and experienced ex-WC ruck. Maybe ex-WC rucks bring us luck as we had an ex WC ruck in our team in the years 2005, 2012 & 2016 (even if Seaby didn't get to the big dance in 2012). Ball was brilliant, Sinkers has been a warrior for us and even Seaby held his own until we got Mummy & Pyke up to speed.

Hickey's only a year older than Naismith but way more durable, having played 102 games vs a mere 30 forr Naismith. He's also from QLD so less likely to want to go elsewhere. His hitout average is lower than Naismith but his stats around the ground are better. Maybe that reflects Hickey being a backup ruck for much of his career. Needless to say he won't be wasting an opportunity to grab the top ruck spot with both hands. A bit of competition among the rucks does wonders for a club. Even if Naismith gets back to the no.1 role Hickey can always go forward and grab a goal or two. He may not be a prolific goal kicker but he kicked Naismith's entire career goal tally in a single game in 2014.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Citrus22

Premiership Player
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
He is super professional, every time he played he gave his all , he is a solid 1st ruck and if you plant him close to goal he is a good mark and accurate kick for goal .

This has peaked my interest for sure, a lot of rucks can't kick to save their life so if he goes up forward occasionally he may be able to help the scoring issues we've had.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
This has peaked my interest for sure, a lot of rucks can't kick to save their life so if he goes up forward occasionally he may be able to help the scoring issues we've had.
Look he isn't the greatest kick of the ball but he is a bit like mason Cox. Anywhere from within 30m of the goals where he usually clunks them when resting forward he will just nurse it through pretty straight and uncomplicated.

He is not going to be slotting them from 50

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Most places have been reporting his contract to be a 3 year deal but I read somewhere today that it was only a two year deal which makes me believe it's 2 plus a trigger for a third which if correct is smart management for a 30yo.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
What may be lost on many of us, myself included, is that Hickey is only 9 montgs older than Naismith, meaning that by the time Naismith is ready to play again if at all, he will be older than Hickey will be come round one 2021.
Stef Martin has been hailed as a brilliant get for Dogs & he will be 34 in a few days.

There is no reason why we couldn't get a good 4 years out of Hickey. He seems a good clubman & no doubt gives effort. A 3 year deal is absolutely well worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back