Tom Hickey
[Player Profile TBA]

Tom Hickey
DOB:06 March 1991
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2010 Zone
RECRUITED FROM: Morningside (Qld)/Gold Coast/St Kilda

What's been done?
Maybe a new position, but our Head of of Physiotherapy and Medical Services - Damian Raper (from Richmond?)- gives our weekly injury update.
After 26 years Matt Cameron left the club last year
physio.jpg

Saw pics of a farewell lunch at the time that included staff and Macca. Source?

It was a joke due to the amount of 4-6 week injuries we have had over the years that never get better.

Mathelios

Debutant
Mar 15, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Hickey's ruck work and disposal use has been great. He gets clearances, effective with his field kicking and can hit the scoreboard! We've got a beauty!
I think things will only get better for him over the next month too. Upcoming games against Essendon (Wright), GWS (Flynn), Suns (whoever they can find) and then Geelong (Stanley). He should really enjoy himself against those opponents.

On track for AA ruck? Has to be in consideration at the least

Will struggle against the top 3 rucks but will be competitive against every other ruck.

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Will struggle against the top 3 rucks but will be competitive against every other ruck.

Given he has beaten 4 of 4 so far, “competitive” is fine by me.
As for the big 3... I guess we’ll just have to wait and see but, with all the pieces of his puzzle seemingly falling into place, I reckon Tommy hasn’t finished his ascent just yet.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
He's awkward looking, but Hickey's athleticism is top notch. Where Sinclair can be a bit loping and slow, Hickey for a ruckman actually has a the ability to move his feet and get to the ball on the ground. Plus his clearance game is quality - I think being left-footed and left-handed works to his advantage here, most other players don't have the natural inclination to move to smother him when he grabs the ball out of the ruck and boots it. And he's smart, uses his body and positioning really well.

Quality first month as a Swan.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Not sure I could be more impressed. I admit I didn’t know much about him and hadn’t seen him much but discussed his stats on here as they seemed more than reasonable and was told to watch him play and the stats were wrong lol

Astute pickup, for the first time in his career he has been given the keys and he is running with it. Good on him, seems a great fella too.

He's awkward looking, but Hickey's athleticism is top notch. Where Sinclair can be a bit loping and slow, Hickey for a ruckman actually has a the ability to move his feet and get to the ball on the ground. Plus his clearance game is quality - I think being left-footed and left-handed works to his advantage here, most other players don't have the natural inclination to move to smother him when he grabs the ball out of the ruck and boots it. And he's smart, uses his body and positioning really well.

Quality first month as a Swan.
Clearances for a Swan in their first 4 games

Back