19114-Trade-Period-Tom-Hickey-900x560.jpg

Tom Hickey
[Player Profile TBA]

Tom Hickey
DOB:06 March 1991
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2010 Zone
RECRUITED FROM: Morningside (Qld)/Gold Coast/St Kilda

Will Hickey have to be strapped up every pre-game to minimise rotation?
I cringed when Tom first did follow up at centre bounce bending low to handball the ball out.
‪Hickey patchup.jpg

Last edited:
Big week for Tom next week against the best ruckman in the competition. Don't expect him to beat Gawn but it is great going into the game thinking there is a good chance we won't be smashed in the ruck and that Gawn will need to be held somewhat accountable.

I love Sinclair, and he did a really good job for us for years but we didn't draft him as a ruckman and it wasn't really a position he was suited for.

Its why you don't develop rucks or take them with top 10 picks just poach them from other clubs.

Hickey is playing career best football at age 30 they take so long to develop.

It's a mixed bag. You can get a good starting ruck from another club. The star ruckman still seem to be drafted and developed.

Starting rucks
Drafted: Gawn (34), Naitanui (2), Grundy (18), O'Brien (RD), Goldstein (37), Darcy (38), Marshall (RD), English (19), McInerney (RD), Draper (RD)

Acquired: Hickey (TRD), Martin (TRD), Pittonet (TRD), Stanley (TRD), Witts (TRD), McEvoy (TRD), Lycett (FA), Nankervis (TRD), Mumford (TRD)

Hickey is giving us what the best modern ruckmen provide and that's an extra midfielder. The most clearances last night with 10.

He's great in the tap but he follows up his own ruck work or is able to take it straight out of the ruck. He's having an incredible season for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always felt like Hickey was massively underrated, was one of my favourite players when he was with us, super thrilled to see him doing well with you guys!
Seems like he was a great guy with every club. Appears to have settled in here really well. There are a few players at a similar life stage and the youngsters seem to really look up to him. I'm guessing of course but I reckon family life is going well too. Sydney fans love his energy and quirkiness. We've always fancied ourselves as a club that can resurrect careers.
In any case, he is most likely leading our B&F, is definitely our AFLCA votes leader and seems to be having the fun of Cork.

#NailedIt
#worriedifnaismithgetsfitwemightpickhimandstuffupourteam

He would IMO be the best ruckman on our list and I don't expect he would command a huge salary.

He has all of Naismith's strengths:
- being tall

plus also has some other skills and actually provides some effort and a marking presence around the ground. He had a very solid year for West Coast last season and would provide us with an alternative to Sinclair

Remove this Banner Ad

Back