AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

With the way our tall defender stocks have looked the past few years this man could very well one day be our most important player
Can't wait to see what he delivers this season

What a baptism of fire. Daniher and Hipwood are very mobile 200cm+ forwards who can take a grab!

However, if he can nail down a spot when Stewart comes back later this year we have two very tall and mobile defenders. This means Francis and Ridley can do their thing. Won't be a bad defence.

What a baptism of fire. Daniher and Hipwood are very mobile 200cm+ forwards who can take a grab!

However, if he can nail down a spot when Stewart comes back later this year we have two very tall and mobile defenders. This means Francis and Ridley can do their thing. Won't be a bad defence.
Agree with that last part in particular. Would love to know if the way we see our future defence as the four of them together. To me, it's a good mix and could bring out the best in each of them.

Agree with that last part in particular. Would love to know if the way we see our future defence as the four of them together. To me, it's a good mix and could bring out the best in each of them.
Can see it working

Ridley ??? Francis
Hind Reid Redman
Question on who plays that deep defender role (Stewart/Ambrose/Laverde/Brand)

Laverde and Langford have less trade value than Hind. Best we could hope for is a team like North wanting some big bodies to protect their kids during a root and branch rebuild and perhaps go for a swap of third rounders for both of them. Hurts to say because I was on the Laverde band wagon early. I still think if he had have had a better run with injuries and the coaching staff had have put more midfield development into him he could have been a part time big bodied mid and medium forward. They also stuffed up Langford because I would have lived having a poor man's Gunston to operate alongside genuine excitement in Tippa and Stringer and a good KPF.

If we had some inside bull in the midfield Merrets offence would be amazing. If we can't get that this year I dont mind trading him for that inside mid and start searching for an outside replacement.

Laverde and Langford have less trade value than Hind. Best we could hope for is a team like North wanting some big bodies to protect their kids during a root and branch rebuild and perhaps go for a swap of third rounders for both of them. Hurts to say because I was on the Laverde band wagon early. I still think if he had have had a better run with injuries and the coaching staff had have put more midfield development into him he could have been a part time big bodied mid and medium forward. They also stuffed up Langford because I would have lived having a poor man's Gunston to operate alongside genuine excitement in Tippa and Stringer and a good KPF.

If we had some inside bull in the midfield Merrets offence would be amazing. If we can't get that this year I dont mind trading him for that inside mid and start searching for an outside replacement.
Can we seriously stop advocating for the trading of decent to good players for picks?

Picks alone will not save us. We need senior players to play well and stick around too.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

How did he go? I didn't watch the game.
Not bad at all, all things considered. With Ridley out he might get another game, but not sure i would be playing him if we had our entire backline available.

Got outpointed a few times by Hipwood but that’s to be expected. Also competed very well at other times, and his numerous good tackles on Daniher were a big plus.

A couple bad turnovers.

All in all, not a bad debut and certainly something to work with moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got outpointed a few times by Hipwood but that’s to be expected. Also competed very well at other times, and his numerous good tackles on Daniher were a big plus.

A couple bad turnovers.

All in all, not a bad debut and certainly something to work with moving forward.

And many of those turnovers were due to more senior teammates putting him under the pump.

Not bad at all, all things considered. With Ridley out he might get another game, but not sure i would be playing him if we had our entire backline available.
I don't mind bringing BZT in for Ridley and then playing Reid in Ridley's role for a week. Week after that he'll probably have to go out, given Carlton's tall forwards might be too strong for him.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last night really put the extent of weight gain made by tall players in the system into context.

Reading some comments here there was an assumption that Reid would be a good match-up for Hipwood and I have to concede thinking he'd be okay on Hipwood physically.

It was like a child against a man and Hipwood is far from a monster. For what it's worth I think Reid is more Hipwood than Fletcher in terms of the composition of his body. His legs are quite thick proportionate to the rest of his body. Means there is 10 to 15 kgs he'll put on from this point.

I don't look at last night negatively at all but it's a timely reminder about picking Bryan who would be more exposed physically in ruck contests.

Last edited:
Of all the situations to debut a 202cm, 86kg fullback, an away game vs a prelim finalist from last year with Daniher and Hipwood to contend with in torrential Brisbane rain would be about the hardest.

With that context in mind, he did alright i thought. Couple of moments he would take back i am sure, but that'll happen on debut. Hope he plays a few games in a row to get some exposure.

Got outpointed a few times and turned it over a bit but didn't stop having a go. I'd let him string together a few games in the seniors and then reassess whether he's better off developing in the seniors or VFL (I like the Hardwick idea of developing first round picks in the seniors just quietly).

If it was anyone else coming in (say, BZT), we would be saying he had an absolute mare. Lots of mitigating circumstances however and certainly one or two endearing moments.

By no means should we drop him though - I like the above suggestion of having him play in Ridley's intercepting role next week.

He was better than i expected in the one-on-one battles, though he still has a way to go - What disappointed me was that in your first few games YOU try to keep actions simple, except on a few occasions he 'bit off more than you can chew' and suffered the consequences - I'll add that for a player of his ilk you couldn't have better playing conditions in your first game.

Tonsilitis apparently, won't be available this week either.

Young key defender Zach Reid will be unavailable for selection after developing tonsillitis following his AFL debut against Brisbane.

Murphy said the club will continue to monitor Reid’s situation and give the 19-year-old time to recover.

“Post the Brisbane game, he had a bit of tonsilitis early in the week and he didn’t do any training across the week due to that,” Murphy said.

“It may take a week or so to settle down and then we can get him going again, but he won’t be available this week.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back