AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

31 - reid.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 5, Happyskeret

Last edited by a moderator:
Club confirmed. Light duties this week, recovered quicker than expected and looking to resume full training, building up from next week.

Key defender Zach Reid will spend a short amount of time away from the club recovering after his tonsillitis progressed to glandular fever recently.

Murphy said Reid has recovered quicker than expected and will look to resume full training shortly.

“After having tonsillitis, Zach was diagnosed with glandular fever. He will be away from the club this week and pleasingly is now on the improve," Murphy said.

"Zach will be on light duties this week and we will look to get him back into the club next week to then build up his program as he can tolerate.”

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I got it at his age from pashing relentlessly

Was very hard to shake off while playing footy.. I’m really surprised he is back so quick

So far Cox and Perkins are coming along really nicely, and Zach, when he's back from sickness, has full backing from the coaches.

If Baldwin recovers well, then we might have just aced 2020.

MattyB3150

Team Captain
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully they don't rush him back. Glandular Fever has the potential to be a nightmare.
Hopefully Waterman can give Reid and Essendon some good advice on the issue as he obviously suffered from it a few years ago himself.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I went to "Thats Good For Footy" on Wednesday night and Stringer strongly stated that he thinks Reid could be the best of last years draft which gave me shivers. I am hoping we have finally nailed a draft.
Stringer is either legitimately rapt with our recruits or trying to praise his way into an enormous contract. Tactical genius.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Stringer is either legitimately rapt with our recruits or trying to praise his way into an enormous contract. Tactical genius.
Either way, with how he is playing right now he deserves one. Pinch hitting in the middle every quarter for a few mins + kicking 1-3 goals every week + his presence up forward, his consistency is exciting. Looks to have finally gotten his body right.

Nicholas61

All Australian
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I went to "Thats Good For Footy" on Wednesday night and Stringer strongly stated that he thinks Reid could be the best of last years draft which gave me shivers. I am hoping we have finally nailed a draft.
I read he looked good up forward in a practise match. Didn’t test great for straight line speed but good ability for a big guy and an elite kick. Looks calm and composed.

Modified program now, aiming for full training in two weeks.
Another positive injury update is the progression of young key defender Zach Reid, who has returned to the NEC Hangar after being diagnosed with glandular fever.

Reid will be on a modified training program in the immediate term, with hopes the 19-year-old will be able to commence full training in as little as two weeks.

“'Reidy' got diagnosed with glandular (fever). He was home with his parents and rested up for a week or two and that put him into really good stead,” Murphy said.

“He’s (been) back at the club from yesterday and he’ll build up his program over the next couple of weeks.

“He’s in good spirits and has good energy. We’ll take a bit of a slower approach with him, but we expect him back over the next couple of weeks.”

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
These next few games would've been perfect for him. Hopefully get to see him back soon.

Nice, I thought it was going to be a Sam Darnold situation where he's out for a year!
Someone at Brisbane I think had it earlier this year, missed 4 weeks. Not sure who it was but with a turnaround that short probably won't be 100%.

Still better than a Waterman situation though.

Hak94

All Australian
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Someone at Brisbane I think had it earlier this year, missed 4 weeks. Not sure who it was but with a turnaround that short probably won't be 100%.

Still better than a Waterman situation though.
I think considering how well our backline has held up, now with Stewart back and Francis in tandem (hopefully he stays fit) that the overall cohesion down there seems to finally be finding some stability and they all gel more from week to week. I don't think it's the worst thing if Reid doesn't play again for the year, as there really is no need to rush him in. Didn't play at all in 2020. So, if anything it'll give him time to get his body right/healthy, play in the VFL to find some form/gain some experience and also it'll give him time to bulk up more to hopefully play some regular footy in 2022. In saying this, I would absolutely love for him to be playing week to week like Cox & Perkins are, even if he's getting beaten regularly it gives him the experience to learn the rigours of the game.

Back