AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

He was okay. Few nice things. Was always in good positions.

With another month under his belt he'll pull down 5 more marks by default.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing his match up against McDonald this week, could be one of the forward/back duels of the next decade.

eDPS, andleanback how did they go against each other in under 18's?

Bit of a baby giraffe when the ball hits the deck (that will correct as he adapts to AFL speed) but his aerial stuff is very good for someone so inexperienced.

That 2v1 contest he won against a couple of Hawks in their goal square (3rd Q I think) was exceptional

Totally agree. I think he’ll do some frustrating things for the next couple of years as he matures, but jeez he’s showing some good early signs.

There was a play maybe in the 3rd where he gathered, spun around and made space for himself among about 4 Hawks and cleared the handball out to one of our guys, he looked like a 200 gamer

Looking forward to seeing his match up against McDonald this week, could be one of the forward/back duels of the next decade.

eDPS, andleanback how did they go against each other in under 18's?

Did they even play against each other given covid and McDonald being a somewhat bolter over his draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was pretty impressive last night.

Sometimes these big guys have big weight fluctuations in season or they look like they do.

Last night felt like an insight into the sort of beast he could become, playing in excess of 100kg and it looking like a natural, unforced evolution.

Last edited:
Get the right coaches in now and teach him how to be accountable for his man and he will become a gun, if he starts playing lose like Ridley and stops defending all together we will ruin him along with the rest of the players.
We have Fletch and Hurley working with our developing guys, so you'd expect key defenders to be trained up properly. Shitting all over Ridley after one poor game is a bit harsh, one poor game does not a career make. Fair enough if he makes a habit of it.

We have Fletch and Hurley working with our developing guys, so you'd expect key defenders to be trained up properly. Shitting all over Ridley after one poor game is a bit harsh, one poor game does not a career make. Fair enough if he makes a habit of it.
To be fair, amongst the awesomeness Ridley has had issues across the last 2 years with his one on one accountability.

The point is reasonable that we want Reid to be a close checking defender and not base his game on the Ridley type zone off 3rd tall role

The point is reasonable that we want Reid to be a close checking defender and not base his game on the Ridley type zone off 3rd tall role
I mean sure, but if the club is dumb enough to advise a key defender who is playing a close checking role to base his game on a loose 7th defender role then that's really ******* dumb tbh. Might as well have Tex Wanganeen advising him about small forward craft for all that the two roles have in common.

Further to what Lore is saying, don't jump at shadows either.

We didn't allow Ridley to become anything, not in the sense we have destroyed him. He's a better player than he was in 2020.

We had a very different team in 2020. He could come in and play a free wheeling intercept role.

Ridley has made huge gains in the last 18 months including playing on and doing very well on the likes of Naughton. That's been as much about necessity as it was rounding out his game. He inherits Heppell's role for 2023.

I dont think players like Lever, the supposed standard, are watched closely enough. He's a worse 1v1 defender than what Ridley has become.

Reid, you set for a similar role to that played by Hooker and Carlisle. Difference there is that Ried has the running power to play on hard leading players.

Last edited:
I mean sure, but if the club is dumb enough to advise a key defender who is playing a close checking role to base his game on a loose 7th defender role then that's really ******* dumb tbh. Might as well have Tex Wanganeen advising him about small forward craft for all that the two roles have in common.
I’m not buying into that part as I agree, I don’t think Ridley will influence Reid in that way.

I was just responding to the idea that criticism of Ridley’s accountability unfairly springs from one poor game. He has some deficiencies tracking his opponent at times, and these have been present even during his B&F year.

All that aside I just wish he would start marking the footy again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back