AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

31 - reid.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2025
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 5, Happyskeret

Last edited by a moderator:
Not expected to pick both Reid and Cox! Makes me wonder how we feel about Brand and Eyre?
Are we just building the spine first?
Sheedy is back. :p

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm glad because i was sick of everyone sooking every time Francis or Hurley had to play on a taller forward.
Also he's a seriously exciting prospect at 202 cm with his elite kicking. The real test will be can he intercept and get enough of the ball.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
I'm surprised but not disappointed we picked Zach. I really thought we would of opted for Bruhn or even tried McInnes here.

Hopefully Zach helps sure up a kpp for the next decade or more.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
This pick reflects the need to replenish the KPD stock but also that there never really seemed to be another available player who commanded this selection, not when Reid was always in the range and a style player who was ultimately needed.

I would be careful about the Harris Andrews comparison. It's Andrew athleticism that brought him into a game. It's not clear to me Reid quite has Andrews' athletic gifts but I doubt it ends up being that important and Reid is not a lumberer by any stretch (in the way Carlisle and Hooker are).

A defence needs at least one monster to control the air at half back and to play on the Danihers, McKays and Kings of the world.

I think it was the right call in the end.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
This pick reflects the need to replenish the KPD stock but also that there never really seemed to be another available player who commanded this selection, not when Reid was always in the range and a style player who was ultimately needed.

I would be careful about the Harris Andrews comparison. It's Andrew athleticism that brought him into a game. It's not clear to me Reid quite has Andrews' athletic gifts but I doubt it ends up being that important and Reid is not a lumberer by any stretch (in the way Carlisle and Hooker are).

A defence needs at least one monster to control the air at half back and to play on the Danihers, McKays and Kings of the world.

I think it was the right call in the end.
I reckon he projects as a rich man's Lachie Keefe, who was also 202cm and an underrated one oon one defender.

He is the rich mans version because he offers far more in rebounding ability with his kicking skills.

Back