AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Just shows how much a freak Fletcher was. :cool:
He was broader than Cox or Reid…but take you’re point. Did Fletch avoid weights? Kept his speed forever.

I often think guys like Cox are better off staying skinny and focusing on maximising their strengths- I.e. running. There will be a degree to which some size and strength follows naturally….just let that happen.

He was broader than Cox or Reid…but take you’re point. Did Fletch avoid weights? Kept his speed forever.

I often think guys like Cox are better off staying skinny and focusing on maximising their strengths- I.e. running. There will be a degree to which some size and strength follows naturally….just let that happen.

I reckon Fletch was quite broad in the shoulders. Similar shape to Joe.

Yep. Put a line through that, certainly in the top 15.

It's not just being thin. Danier, McKay and the Kings do not have powerhouse builds but the proportions are there.

It's proportions that don't looking like they can hold weight.
Who are we basing this stuff on? Gumbleton, Z Reid and… who?

There is no structural / bio mechanical reason that wide hips & narrow shoulders should result in more breakdowns. Talls in general can struggle when young - yes. This is also true of young fast bowlers.

But judging it by eye is pretty loose. I’d want to be seeing a strong trend within a large sample size before I buy this.

There is no structural / bio mechanical reason that wide hips & narrow shoulders should result in more breakdowns. Talls in general can struggle when young - yes. This is also true of young fast bowlers.

But judging it by eye is pretty loose. I’d want to be seeing a strong trend within a large sample size before I buy this.

I wouldn't say it's scientific.

I can't really think of a player with that shape that I rate.

Cox is the other.

It’s just an observation and no doubt there is or will be an exception.But it’s not insane to speculate that certain body types may struggle to cope with the ridiculous stress that AFL places on young, developing bodies.

Cox is the other.

It’s just an observation and no doubt there is or will be an exception.But it’s not insane to speculate that certain body types may struggle to cope with the ridiculous stress that AFL places on young, developing bodies.
It's definitely not insane to speculate

But it's insane to state it as fact, especially when so many young talls with that body type are experiencing setbacks that young talls of all body types experience.

Jonathon Brown wasn't overly wide through the shoulders (relative to the rest of him) from memory.
Can't tell if this is serious?

Jonathon Brown was drafted at 95kgs without having ever walked into a gym in his life to that point.
He was actually pretty evenly proportioned and carried weight as effortlessly as any young player I can remember.

About as different to Reid as you can get as a comparison.

Can't tell if this is serious?

Jonathon Brown was drafted at 95kgs without having ever walked into a gym in his life to that point.
He was actually pretty evenly proportioned and carried weight as effortlessly as any young player I can remember.

About as different to Reid as you can get as a comparison.

Aside from the bolded none of the rest of these words relate to his shoulder width.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox is the other.

Cox so far has had mostly contact injuries. If he starts to have stress fractures in the legs or back then I’d start to worry with him. Most talls have some sort of stress injuries from 18-22 it’s extremely common. Couple that with having zero confidence in our S&c department to manage these guys correctly.

Wouldnt be too many 202cm+ guys who havnt had injuries and probably magnified by not getting much game time/footy in with covid then going into an AFL program

Club probably knew they needed a bit from Reid/Cox in their 3rd/4th years so trying to find that balance of pushing too much to not get injured with lack of footy to being in a position to have an impact in year 3/4

I remember me and him were playing pool on separate tables at the Prince of Wales in '02 and I thought about breaking a chair over the back of his head, but he was just so big I thought "he probably won't even notice."
53KR.gif

Good call. He was pear shaped.

I do remember him always being thick.

Can't remember what Westhoff looked when he was drafted but he wasn't overly broad through the shoulders (again, as compared to the rest of him).

Contrast with a Charlie Curnow who's extremely wide through the shoulders, but he's also had significant injury issues to work through.

Can't remember what Westhoff looked when he was drafted but he wasn't overly broad through the shoulders (again, as compared to the rest of him).

Contrast with a Charlie Curnow who's extremely wide through the shoulders, but he's also had significant injury issues to work through.
Isn’t Curnow’s issue a chronic knee problem that started as an impact injury? Kinda similar to Cooney’s iirc

Jonathon Brown wasn't overly wide through the shoulders (relative to the rest of him) from memory.
He was a very large man though. Ablett was another with narrow shoulders but an enormously powerful physique. Neither of them ever looked pear shaped.

The question here is super skinny talls - Cox, Reid and Gumby are the examples. Westhoff is the only similar example I can think of who’s has a significant career.

He was a very large man though. Ablett was another with narrow shoulders but an enormously powerful physique. Neither of them ever looked pear shaped.

The question here is super skinny talls - Cox, Reid and Gumby are the examples. Westhoff is the only similar example I can think of who’s has a significant career.

Forgot about Ablett, though by modern standards he wasn't tall.

It will depend on what roles they want them to play. Looking at Cox last week I doubt he is going to be a lot bigger. He looks the same as last year. Thankfully he is mobile and has reasonable skills on btoh sides so he can play intercept flank or half forward.
May be an issue for Reid as he does not have the same speed and engine as Cox and is suited to play KP.
I would not say Daniher or Hipwood are huge. Tim English is another who has been a bit on the skinny side before building up a little the last 2 seasons. Stanley at Geelong is not a big unit for a player his size. I do agree though being skinny with narrow shoulders and not a lot of leg definition is an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back