AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Entirely different thing as a Hail Mary to save a career. Another thing to unsettle lines every offseason because you haven’t developed a key forward in ten years.
Happens everywhere. Naughton did not start as a forward.

Happens everywhere. Naughton did not start as a forward.

Not what Im talking about. They have left him as a forward for 3 years straight. Not throwing him end to end. Pick a line, built cohesion for years.

Not what Im talking about. They have left him as a forward for 3 years straight. Not throwing him end to end. Pick a line, built cohesion for years.
Who have we thrown end to end out of the young blokes ?

Dangerous to compare Reid to Naughton.

He doesn't have Naughton's power.
It was not a comparison. It was simply a statement. Naughton started back. He is now forward. Nothing else.

Who have we thrown end to end out of the young blokes ?

I’m talking about Carlisle, Hurley and Hooker.
Now we have an opportunity to learn from that era. Whatever decision we make with Reid we should stick with it to give ourselves clarity of needs going forward and a chance to develop on field units that understand their role intimately.

Now we have an opportunity to learn from that era. Whatever decision we make with Reid we should stick with it to give ourselves clarity of needs going forward and a chance to develop on field units that understand their role intimately.

hooker and Hurley aa backs? Both played well fwd.

if hurley had wrists he could have been a special fwd.

What should have happened? Play all three in the same backline and no Fwds?

the whole thing was way overblown. No ones development was impacted

All had a few years at one end . Would hardly say it had a massive effect on them. Reid will be good enough to handle what they throw at him . I would say it will be back to start with given that is the group he has been in .

Reid showed real ability as a ruckman at nab level as well.
I like the idea of Jones and Reid as two developing key forwards.
zerk thatcher was re signed for a couple of years which means the club must have some belief he can make it.

Paul Salmon leading at the ball was unstoppable, if Reid or any of our over 200cm players could replicate that in the future we'd be set, I'm all in on trying anyone forward.

Different era. Salmon could obviously play but his main weapon was height. Nobody had ever seen a 6'8 key forward, in an era where your key defenders were probably around 6'2. Salmon was also an athlete, not a big lumbering type, so could lead as well as stand under the footy and use his height.

These days all sides have genuinely tall KPPs so are better equipped to deal with them, plus they double team at contests etc.

He was never really mentioned by Rutten as apart of the forward setup rather Francis was.

Need power, explosion, aggressiveness and speed as a forward, does he have those attributes?

I don't mind seeing it for 6-12 months as a forward but if it ain't working then send him back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerous to compare Reid to Naughton.

He doesn't have Naughton's power.

Naughton has the rare ability to mark the ball in really awkward positions (morphs his body). It's weird.

He was never really mentioned by Rutten as apart of the forward setup rather Francis was.

Need power, explosion, aggressiveness and speed as a forward, does he have those attributes?

I don't mind seeing it for 6-12 months as a forward but if it ain't working then send him back.

As a lead up forward yes. In time he will have power and aggression. Speed is not likely to be his one wood. Anyway he will be playing back at this stage.

Will be interesting to see Reid's development - He played like a millionaire in his debut, however he has attributes to succeed at AFL level - He strikes me as a risk/reward type who will need to learn his game - How well he does this will determine his future success.

Will be interesting to see Reid's development - He played like a millionaire in his debut, however he has attributes to succeed at AFL level - He strikes me as a risk/reward type who will need to learn his game - How well he does this will determine his future success.

How's he a risk/reward type? He was a highly rated junior, hence top ten pick for us and rated top ten by everyone. No offense Yaco, but your statement is a bit of nonsense.

How's he a risk/reward type? He was a highly rated junior, hence top ten pick for us and rated top ten by everyone. No offense Yaco, but your statement is a bit of nonsense.

I was referring to the way he played in his first AFL game and from watching two or three VFL games - Many players have AFL attributes BUT not all can put them together to be a consistent AFL player - This is why I'm watching with interest.

I was referring to the way he played in his first AFL game and from watching two or three VFL games - Many players have AFL attributes BUT not all can put them together to be a consistent AFL player - This is why I'm watching with interest.
Are you talking about flair?

That seems a bit revisionist. Hurley played years forward, before switching back due to injuries and his wrists.

Carlisle looked great forward, the issue was he didn’t want to play there.
And Hooker was great forward or back.

None of these moves were the reasons for our lack of success.

To be fair, his first AFL game was played in torrential rain and could hardly be any sort of gauge of ability or promise.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

So you are saying he is like pretty much all KP players that are drafted and had one year in the system then ?:)

So you are saying he is like pretty much all KP players that are drafted and had one year in the system then ?:)

Some put together their games more effectively than others - Time will tell.

I don’t think anyone can deny Zach had an all time mare on debut but that really shouldn’t be impacting anyone’s opinion of him.

He was under siege the entire game, it was pouring and he hadn’t had any proper lead in and probably shouldn’t have been playing. He’s the proto modern key back in terms of size and skill set, not sure why anyone would want to muck with that and play him forward, where all you really need is a big, strong body to smash packs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back