AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

His reading of the play was really clear from the outset and his marking was pretty solid too. His kicking was a little bit off but he's not afraid of biting off the dangerous kick inboard.

Would like to see him play a few more games in the reserves to really get a body of work behind him before we see him in the seniors again.

Dodoro’s favourite of the three early selections. Absolutely enamoured with him as we all are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did he say?

Was great in his first real game back (he did play a couple of scratchies in a Carlton jumper as well, but covid).

Zach Reid
Stats: 20 disposals, 11 marks, two tackles

“It was his first real game back after some time away with illness. It was pleasing to see him back playing, but he played really well. A little bit of a shaky start with his kicking in the first quarter, but he took 11 marks for the day across half-back. After quarter-time he set us up really well in our back half, and along with Marty Gleeson was a real catalyst for setting up our ball movement. He was great.”

Zach Reid
Stats: 16 disposals, seven marks, two tackles

“It was really fun to watch him play on Ben Brown. Ben Brown is such a good player - he’s an experienced AFL player and it was a really good experience for Reid. I think he (Brown) probably kicked two or three on Reidy when he was on him - a little bit of that was his craft and a little bit of that was Casey’s ball movement, which was hard for him (Reid) to defend at times. Probably at times Zach didn't get a lot of help - sometimes our pressure on the ball wasn’t great so there were some easy entries and it was hard to defend, but I thought he committed himself really well to the role.”

Laverde and Langford have less trade value than Hind. Best we could hope for is a team like North wanting some big bodies to protect their kids during a root and branch rebuild and perhaps go for a swap of third rounders for both of them. Hurts to say because I was on the Laverde band wagon early. I still think if he had have had a better run with injuries and the coaching staff had have put more midfield development into him he could have been a part time big bodied mid and medium forward. They also stuffed up Langford because I would have lived having a poor man's Gunston to operate alongside genuine excitement in Tippa and Stringer and a good KPF.

If we had some inside bull in the midfield Merrets offence would be amazing. If we can't get that this year I dont mind trading him for that inside mid and start searching for an outside replacement.

Is it ok to quote yourself to laugh at yourself? What an idiot!! lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Real shame for the kid. Was a big chance to play much of the rest of the season in the seniors and was really the main other piece we could try and develop further this year. But important to get him right nonetheless. Harry Jones has done well this year coming off no real footy last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back