AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Hamstring - 4 to 6 weeks - 19/3

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the rush folks? Humiliating him on the big stage is actually counterproductive. It's not like he isn't working on his fitness and craft 5-6 days a week at a professional club. If Essendon has a bit of structure and purpose when he comes into the side it will make his transition easier.

Reid is skinny and not as unusually built as Gumby. But he’s not a standard “skinny but big shoulders that will fill out” frame either.

I am not certain that Reid will develop an AFL level physique.
Im not worried at all you can tell from pictures he’s going to have really strong legs which important fro big guys. He’ll fill out in 2-3 years 30098C23-B25A-48A2-81B4-D3FC0F0367E7.jpeg

Has natural footballing smarts and is a great user of the ball. The competitiveness and physical side of the game needs developing, which will come in time.

He's 20 years old and 6'6"

He'll be fine.
The Gumby comparisons are kinda 😬 to be honest. Reid had glandular fever for half of last year, a stress fracture in his back towards the end of last year into the off-season, and then a foot injury during pre-season.

Glandular fever can certainly knock you about, but he's clearly healthy now and has been able to play full games at AFL level, which given the main trouble with it is chronic fatigue, he seems fine with no ongoing issues related to it.

The stress fracture in his back is pretty common for these tall kids that are still growing. It's not an impact injury with surgery to fuse the spine or fix discs or anything drastic like that. Ridley had exactly the same thing with no further issues once it healed, and the same appears to be true for Reid. It hasn't recurred and since he should have stopped growing by now, isn't likely to either.

The foot issue is the only one that is of any concern really, it was some sort of unspecified soreness which really could be anything. Even then, it did heal and it hasn't recurred. He played two VFL games on restricted minutes in rounds 3 and 4, and has been available for AFL selection every week since.

look at Sam De Konig as a blueprint. he's still relatively thin, compared to other KPFs/KPDs out there

but he reads the game very well and seems super composed, and is having a great season for Geelong in his 3rd year

i know it's easier to play in that backline than ours, but as others have said, let's be patient and let his strengths shine.

Not worried at all. If we are in the same spot in 12 months, I will start getting concerned but at this point letting him develop his craft at VFL level is fine.

Big preseason ahead though, hopefully he can take a S.De Koning style leap in his 3rd year.

At this stage VFL is best for his development.

Long term development in the VFL didn't harm Draper, Ridley or BZT.

There's obviously a few slow learners here.

It almost always takes KPPs a number of years to hit their straps and only genuine freaks of nature are able to play consistently at the top level from round 1.

I won't be concerned unless he gets to age 24 and still can't hold his own at AFL level.

Why was he playing forward?
Because he has played forward and back as a junior. The issue is right now he is just not ready . I see no issue with developing both pasts of his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really important for us that he and Cox take big steps next year.
I feel as through they're the difference between us going up a few ladder spots and not.

Hopefully Reid can finish the season holding down a KPD role for a run of games, should be getting to the size and strength needed to hold his own.

Hopefully our next CEO can tee up a sponsorship with a local butcher so the likes of Reid, Setterfield, Cox, Perkins, Jones, Zerk-Thatcher and Menzie all have good access to the protein they need to bulk up this summer.

Really important for us that he and Cox take big steps next year.
I feel as through they're the difference between us going up a few ladder spots and not.
I’d add Harry Jones to that. They are the triumvirate of generational change at our club. We have a large enough sample to know what the likes of Weideman, Wright, Ridley, Draper, and other talls can do but those 3 have only given us some tasty morsels of potential.

If the goal is to give him a break so that he is fit and raring to go in January, fine.

But at some point Reid, Jones and Cox are going to have to show rhey can withstand an AFL pre season in one piece.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back