Senior 32.- Gryan Miers (2018-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparing Chapman and Miers is a serious stretch.
Chappy had about 13kg on Miers.
fair point...

but im pretty sure at draft time that 13 kg difference was not in play.

I get the point you are making and its fair - but id also give Miers 3 years to close that 13kg gap.. thats 4kgs a year...

GO CAtters

It’s funny but there are some footballers that are quick that play slow. I reckon Miers is footballer that is slow but somehow plays quick.
I’m not into following potential draftees at all these days. I no longer look at anything pre draft - highlights, profiles, phantoms - I just don’t have time.

So I saw all of our draftees for the very first time after their name was called out. Watching Miers it didn’t even occur to me he was slow and that’s because when he gets the ball he makes things happen. Just freakishly so. I’ll take a slow player who can do that any day.

It’s funny but there are some footballers that are quick that play slow. I reckon Miers is footballer that is slow but somehow plays quick.

Rhys Stanley is a great example of a player who is incredibly quick but very slow of footy brain. This guy is the opposite. If you are a natural forward you can read where the ball is going and get there to crumb the pack regardless which is what we need and is my hope for miers.

That’s a really intriguing article about him. Comes from an interesting pedigree, can’t be a bad thing.

Interesting comments here about his size and speed, given his pedigree.
Dave, his father, is a very solid build (but his mum isn't).
Dave also insists that, in his teens, he was as fast as his cousin Dallas O'Brien, who won the Stawell Gift.
Mind you, that was before the 17 leg operations (only 11 of them were on his knees, however).

Interesting comments here about his size and speed, given his pedigree.
Dave, his father, is a very solid build (but his mum isn't).
Dave also insists that, in his teens, he was as fast as his cousin Dallas O'Brien, who won the Stawell Gift.
Mind you, that was before the 17 leg operations (only 11 of them were on his knees, however).

His old man is described as a ‘mad scientist’ so I’m not sure how much stock you can put into what he says

His old man is described as a ‘mad scientist’ so I’m not sure how much stock you can put into what he says

I worked with Dave for several years. A more practical and down to earth bloke, and anyone less like a "mad scientist", you are unlikely to meet; moreover, Dallas was there when he made the claim, and didn't object.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to say the same thing right down to the dreadlocks too.

Hopefully he turns out as good a player.
Miers is being talked up as the next AFL 'cult hero' ;)

Kicked 50 goals this season :thumbsu:

I'm delighted we have a Geelong Falcons player - sentimental of me lol

"His mercurial football ability as a small forward/midfielder and genuine confidence to perform on the big stage — traits that have seen him soar into second-round — possible first-round — calculations.

“I wasn’t trying to do anything amazing — even though I did kick some weird goals.”

Big mop of hair, big goal tallies, ample talent and an “usual” name. It’s no wonder his Falcons teammates dubbed him ‘Poster Boy’ after seeing Miers grace the back page of the Geelong Advertiser."

This is the image:

His father David Miers, a scientist in biomechanics, was on Collingwood’s list during the 1980s but was constantly plagued by knee injuries."

Gryan said his Dad is a mad scientist lol

“He’s a mad scientist, my dad. He’s a genius, a bit crazy, but he knows unbelievable things that no other people think of. That’s what helps me with my footy as well because he takes me through techniques that nobody else could think of and that helps me with little things in my game, like twisting and turning.”

Some excerpts ^^^ from this terrific article:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/90193e75d605471baad3dfaebb2499b5

Really, really thrilled with this choice!

I said this kid would get picked up by us, exactly what we need.

If Linc and Gregson aren’t fit this guy could be a starter next year. He’s already got the tank for it.
Exactly what I was thinking + also we needed a small forward with Lang gone.

Still do not understand why Lang was traded?

Exactly what I was thinking + also we needed a small forward with Lang gone.

Still do not understand why Lang was traded?

Lang was out of contract and wanted a club that could offer him more gametime.

"Miers, 18, is a 178cm, 77kg forward.

A livewire small forward, Miers has elite game sense and smarts around goals.

A prolific ball-winner, he also provides strong defensive pressure inside 50."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-11-24/pick-57-get-to-know-gryan-miers

Excellent! Will remove the pressure from Menzel, who can focus on kicking goals, as our most accurate goal kicker.

Read somewhere that Miers is regarded as a very unselfish player, happy to give the ball to another player for a shot on goal, a good quality, team player.

Yes, BUT, we desperately needed small forwards! Wasn't he injured?

First of all he is a mid not a small fwd. But when a fringe player is OOC and nominates a club with an early PSD pick you either have to deal or they walk to the PSD and you get nothing.

Comparing Chapman and Miers is a serious stretch.
Chappy had about 13kg on Miers.
Perhaps later, but Chappy was much smaller when first drafted.

f428d494-fa15-45ba-9f93-2d2fe7ca79e3_500.jpg

smgen5.jpg

23823337_255434544984486_8090729529573638144_n.jpg

First of all he is a mid not a small fwd. But when a fringe player is OOC and nominates a club with an early PSD pick you either have to deal or they walk to the PSD and you get nothing.

:oops:

I read this:

"20-year-old forward Darcy Lang and fellow goal sneak Lincoln McCarthy, 22, both shone on the big stage of the MCG in arguably their best performances as Geelong players.

As good as Patrick Dangerfield was, the final term hero was Lang with three fourth quarter goals, and it was his forward of centre running that proved a real difference when most were out on their feet."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-03-29/lang-and-linc-come-of-age

Remove this Banner Ad

Back