Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that we might be reading a little bit too much into a short video clip of him doing some resistance training. And a guy of his frame, his weight gain needs to consistent and in line with incremental rises in his muscle mass and strength gains. If he chucks it on too quick, he will break down. If he goes too hard and redlines his lifting too early, he will break down. Further complicating the addition of muscle mass is the large volume of cardio footballers do. Its a delicate balancing act. I think referencing other players who altogether are totally different in size, shape, genetics isn't really going to work. What is the best takeaway from that video is that he putting in extra work after perhaps not really digging in last season
Agreed

I think that we might be reading a little bit too much into a short video clip of him doing some resistance training. And a guy of his frame, his weight gain needs to consistent and in line with incremental rises in his muscle mass and strength gains. If he chucks it on too quick, he will break down. If he goes too hard and redlines his lifting too early, he will break down. Further complicating the addition of muscle mass is the large volume of cardio footballers do. Its a delicate balancing act. I think referencing other players who altogether are totally different in size, shape, genetics isn't really going to work. What is the best takeaway from that video is that he putting in extra work after perhaps not really digging in last season

Agreed ,and If it’s good enough for Max Gawn to do some of his preseasons there it’s good enough for Edwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm happy to be on the Jake train.

He has some exciting traits for a tall kid but clearly needs to grow into an AFL ready body. While he chips at that we need to be patient. Huge upside if it comes off.

I hope they steer him towards a KPF because, let's face it, the Ruck is generally for blokes around 2 metres who can't cut it elsewhere.

While carrying a fridge maybe
s-l400.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took Gawn five seasons to get there, and he hit his straps after seven
There is no denying big men take time, big men who don't lob to pre season in great nick take even longer, and sometimes as a result don't get 5 or 7 seasons to make it happen. He doesn't need to set the world on fire, just have a red hot crack this pre season

Yep but Gawn is 208cm, if he was 202cm he might not have gotten 5 seasons to prove his worth.
maybe so, he Edwards turned 20 in November. Is listed as 202cm 85kg's.
I personally would be disappointed if we didn't think it would be a five year investment, which cost us a mid season draft pick= a free hit.

I would suggest we just let him develop in the VFL. Surely Goldy, Xerri, Comben, Larkey and CCJ would allow us that luxury. If we got rid of him another club would pick him up.

38 players on a list, I think we can afford developing a couple of them.

There is no denying big men take time, big men who don't lob to pre season in great nick take even longer, and sometimes as a result don't get 5 or 7 seasons to make it happen. He doesn't need to set the world on fire, just have a red hot crack this pre season
He's had one pre-season and it was interrupted by his HSC VCE.

maybe so, he Edwards turned 20 in November. Is listed as 202cm 85kg's.
I personally would be disappointed if we didn't think it would be a five year investment, which cost us a mid season draft pick= a free hit.

I would suggest we just let him develop in the VFL. Surely Goldy, Xerri, Comben, Larkey and CCJ would allow us that luxury. If we got rid of him another club would pick him up.

38 players on a list, I think we can afford developing a couple of them.
I was excited when we got him, good leap and range from the looks of it, also looks to have a good head on his shoulders, although a mug only a mother could love.
Bit disappointed that he is still 15-20kg off AFL level though, he should be living in the kitchen.

Ya right and that's ok. Would put him at 22 years of age.
I'd hope we thought it would be a four, five year process when we called his name in the pre-season draft. He is listed as 202cm 85kg's.

If not we're in worse shape than I thought, which fyi isn't a good thing.

Max Gawn is a great example, drafted 2009 didn't debut until 2011 and more importantly it took until 2016 for him to find his groove.

I hope we keep Edwards for the long haul.
Good example. People forget how long it took Max Gawn to get his s**t together, so to speak.

I get the feeling he’s right where he should be.

Late developer, wasn’t in elite pathways long before drafted. Has had half a pre-season in 18 months. Played ruck and forward in an absolute basket case and undersized vfl side where he was basically thrown to the wolves given his physical stature at this point in development.

As people have rightly pointed out, big blokes take time and I guarantee he will look so much better this year with a proper, grown man ruck division around him in the VFL. Expect him to kick his fair share of goals this year with better service to mids, as he’s shown decent forward nous in the games I’ve seen.

Very exciting that now our young kids and development projects have an environment to develop in the VFL instead of it looking like the local reserves side bringing up the under 16s to fill a side

Got faith in this kid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back