Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
So I've watched his school footy games from earlier this year. No better description then him being a men amongst boys.

Things that stood out that I didn't get a good perspective of in his NAB League games:
- Consistently worked hard to get back and position defensively to take intercept marks and make spoils (having the opportunity to play full games in the ruck allowed him to show this off)
- Deftness of touch with his hands in the ruck was very good
- So. bloody. agile. Follow-up work after ruck contests and ability to be clean and quick picking up the ball was something I knew he had, but he showed this off to another level.
- Tackles and generally applies defensive pressure with real intent and aggression.

Someone asked me the other day where I would place Edwards in my rankings for this year's draft right now and I said late teens. After watching these 3 games I'd say he would be in my top 10 and closer to 5 than 10. This isn't me getting carried away by watching him against a lower level of competition either. It was things like his athleticism being better than my initial impression and footy nous that really stood out rather than his ability to monster the opposition in the ruck, in marking contests or dominating physically.

Kid's going to be a serious player if we can be patient and develop him properly. If anyone's watched Carlton this year then he's basically Sam De Koning.

Stats comparison between the two leagues he's played in this year:

NAB league averages ~50/50 forward/ruck split (3 games): 12 touches, 4 marks, 1.5 clearances, 2.5 tackles, 1.7 goals ~ 107 ranking point average

School footy averages ~mostly ruck (3 games): 26 touches, 9 marks (5 contested), 6 clearances, 3 tackles, 1.3 goals - ~190 ranking point average

I recall in the interview with Gerard Healy and Gary Lyon he said he considered himself a De Koning type so you're both astute there.

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So I've watched his school footy games from earlier this year. No better description then him being a men amongst boys.

Things that stood out that I didn't get a good perspective of in his NAB League games:
- Consistently worked hard to get back and position defensively to take intercept marks and make spoils (having the opportunity to play full games in the ruck allowed him to show this off)
- Deftness of touch with his hands in the ruck was very good
- So. bloody. agile. Follow-up work after ruck contests and ability to be clean and quick picking up the ball was something I knew he had, but he showed this off to another level.
- Tackles and generally applies defensive pressure with real intent and aggression.

Someone asked me the other day where I would place Edwards in my rankings for this year's draft right now and I said late teens. After watching these 3 games I'd say he would be in my top 10 and closer to 5 than 10. This isn't me getting carried away by watching him against a lower level of competition either. It was things like his athleticism being better than my initial impression and footy nous that really stood out rather than his ability to monster the opposition in the ruck, in marking contests or dominating physically.

Kid's going to be a serious player if we can be patient and develop him properly. If anyone's watched Carlton this year then he's basically Tom De Koning.

Stats comparison between the two leagues he's played in this year:

NAB league averages ~50/50 forward/ruck split (3 games): 12 touches, 4 marks, 1.5 clearances, 2.5 tackles, 1.7 goals ~ 107 ranking point average

School footy averages ~mostly ruck (3 games): 26 touches, 9 marks (5 contested), 6 clearances, 3 tackles, 1.3 goals - ~190 ranking point average
:oops: happy Friday everyone!

If I happen to be ‘walking my dog’ past Arden St. tomorrow is he going to be playing in our VFL team?
Yep named to play tomorrow in our vfl team
(Think Mentone are meant to have the bye this round, which has been delayed to now)
0CFBC14A-284A-4E7A-BA9B-E11F29669076.jpeg

As per RobZombie, school footy is back.
He’s apparently been named in our VFL side though? I was definitely under the impression the club was going to let him play school footy since it was a really big deal for Mentone in the AGSV this year - like, they haven’t won it for 100+ years or something.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
He’s apparently been named in our VFL side though? I was definitely under the impression the club was going to let him play school footy since it was a really big deal for Mentone in the AGSV this year - like, they haven’t won it for 100+ years or something.

Mentone has the bye today.

Loves his hair. Feels a big part of the club after KangaLotto. Been told to pass this on.

I feel bad for him, hope his hair line holds up over many years.

Mid-season recruit Jacob Edwards made his VFL debut on the day, with the young key-position player spending most of his time in the forward line, as he looks to gain experience of men’s football.

Finishing with an impressive 4 marks for the day, Edwards provided what was possibly the highlight of the afternoon, converting a tough kick to seal to win for North late in the final term.

Kicking against a strong breeze from almost 50 metres out, the forward judged the wind perfectly to split the big sticks.

“You can see every now and then he (Edwards) just shows something that makes it look like he could really be a good player for us,” Adams said.

“Clearly a full pre-season is going to be massive to get him to a level where he can compete against the bigger bodies a bit more, but some of his movements are really good.

“You can see from that clutch goal that nothing really fazes him. To kick that from 45 plus out and into the wind, it was a really big goal for us.”

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Couple of clips from the VFL where he takes the ball on the lead at the highest point he can with his arms stretched completely out. Going to draw a ton of chopping the arms frees leading out of the square with the likes of Phillips and TT kicking to his advantage.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Had to drive to Aspendale for work this morning and I went past Mentone Grammar. I didn’t see him or anything, but I just thought to myself “oh, Jacob Edwards goes here”.

Funny you say that. I was driving past Mentone Grammar and didn't see you or Jacob but thought to myself "oh sruss drove through here and thought to himself about Jacob Edwards".

Back