Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought this guy only played school footy this year, but on the North channel on Youtube, i watched a replay of the VFL game v Port Melbourne at Arden st,
North up by about 10 pt's 28 min into the last Q, and who pops up to kick the sealer ? No 32 Jake Edwards.

Drilled it 50 out into a strong wind

I thought this guy only played school footy this year, but on the North channel on Youtube, i watched a replay of the VFL game v Port Melbourne at Arden st,
North up by about 10 pt's 28 min into the last Q, and who pops up to kick the sealer ? No 32 Jake Edwards.

Also broke a guys leg in a smother

6AD0F9F5-908E-414F-B5BE-DD935DE626BB.jpeg

north-melbourne.jpg

Jacob Edwards

Taken with pick No.1 in the 2021 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft while he was still a school student, Edwards was always going to be a long-term prospect. With his final year of school done and dusted, 202cm Edwards will soon join North’s AFL program full-time and continue to refine his craft as a ruck/forward. From not being selected in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft to being first picked in the 2021 mid-season draft, Edwards has a proven track record of putting in hard work and reaping the rewards, and his potential for further development should be very exciting for North Melbourne fans. Despite being untried at AFL level, the Kangaroos have shown enormous faith in the 18-year-old, extending Edwards’ contract almost immediately to keep him at the club until the end of 2023. - Sophie Welsh

north-melbourne.jpg

Jacob Edwards

Taken with pick No.1 in the 2021 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft while he was still a school student, Edwards was always going to be a long-term prospect. With his final year of school done and dusted, 202cm Edwards will soon join North’s AFL program full-time and continue to refine his craft as a ruck/forward. From not being selected in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft to being first picked in the 2021 mid-season draft, Edwards has a proven track record of putting in hard work and reaping the rewards, and his potential for further development should be very exciting for North Melbourne fans. Despite being untried at AFL level, the Kangaroos have shown enormous faith in the 18-year-old, extending Edwards’ contract almost immediately to keep him at the club until the end of 2023. - Sophie Welsh
Interesting in that article how Sydney are just sitting on Will Gould, if they don’t give him some opportunities this year you’d have to think he would be ripe for the picking.

There were always doubts about his athletic qualities; it’s easy for a man child like him to dominate as a junior, but if you haven’t got the athleticism it won’t convert to seniors
I remember him coming into the system and people saying he had to drop 10+kgs.
Was close to 100kg as an 18yr old I think and lacked the pace and endurance for the position.

To keep him on the list he must be showing a bit.
100%, also think that clubs are hesitant to drop kids and look foolish when they end up doing well at another club so they're kept on a list through an extra contract or 2 more than they probably should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were always doubts about his athletic qualities; it’s easy for a man child like him to dominate as a junior, but if you haven’t got the athleticism it won’t convert to seniors

He won a flag playing good footy at Glenelg against men. He also made the AA under 18 team at bottom age. The kid can play.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Haha keep forgetting we have this guy.

Xerri, CCJ and Edwards, not a bad young ruck division we've got brewing.

I see those three more as forwards than ruckmen, but it will be really handy if at least one of them can become a top-end ruckman.

I see those three more as forwards than ruckmen, but it will be really handy if at least one of them can become a top-end ruckman.

Xerri makes it as a ruckman or not at all.

His forward craft is less than stellar.

Xerri makes it as a ruckman or not at all.

His forward craft is less than stellar.

Possibly. I don't have a crystal ball. He did show improvement at VFL level as a ruckman but he struggled a fair bit in the ruck at AFL level. Not surprising, most young ruckmen struggle. I just hope he doesn't do another runner attempt at the end of next year.

Last edited:
I think x will leave next year
When goldy is dun ccj and Edwards ruck fwd combo then larkey comben big fwds looking good
Nah I reckon X stays and takes goldy's job.
Not sure how much longer he's got left in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back