Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
You might well be the only person on the planet who is shocked to learn that a first year player isn't able to build to elite AFL endurance levels in half a pre-season.
At no point did I posit that he should have built elite level endurance.

Seems ridiculous to two weeks training is going to make any difference and treating it as an extra preseason is just weird.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

surprised that this article came out.
Club really not happy with his development and where its at?
Not fitting in with the current training schedule?
Needs extra assistance vs guys who were taken in 2021 draft?
Trying to accelerate his development so he can play seniors earlier?

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Edwards is 3 years younger than De Koning - following this path we shouldn't really expect anything out of Edwards until mid '24.

The next 12 months is about building Edwards up and maybe toward the end of 2023 he could play a couple of games in the seniors.

Our view should be that we see Edwards as a number 2 ruck/forward and capable of contributing in 2024.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Could be both a good sign and good management. As suggested above he has probably been on a pretty limited program due to where he has come from. Maybe they are confident that his body will be good to stand up to a really solid block of of two weeks intensive training to push him to the next level.

From what I have seen of the VFL I have watched is that he does get to the right spots in the forward line. He needs to be able to do that more frequently (tank) and he needs to clunk a few more marks (strength would help with that). I think if he is getting a decent block of exposure to AFL next year then that is almost ahead of schedule.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Wouldn't read a hidden message into it. Think it's just news for news sake.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where are we at with this bloke? Personally i feel the X and CCJ are not the answer to our ruck situation, Goldy might have to roll on again next year.
Hopefully Edwards can show something, otherwise we needs to go searching for another prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Where are we at with this bloke? Personally i feel the X and CCJ are not the answer to our ruck situation, Goldy might have to roll on again next year.
Hopefully Edwards can show something, otherwise we needs to go searching for another prospect.
He’s a fair way away, dude is frightfully thin, long termer for sure

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Needs to do a lot of squats and deadlifts to build strength. Hopefully he can.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Needs to do a lot of squats and deadlifts to build strength. Hopefully he can.

tumblr_ox8rv78Gy21ws2b8ao3_500.gifv

Quick - the Bigfooty Powerlifting alarm has gone off!

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Right ok, just saw 202 85kg, needs to add 15, ideally 20kg, that might take 4-5 years. Goldy got another 5 in him?

Le Grille

Cancelled
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Right ok, just saw 202 85kg, needs to add 15, ideally 20kg, that might take 4-5 years. Goldy got another 5 in him?
Probably not hence keeping x developing is where we are at

Kciza

All Australian
Jun 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was he overhyped by the media because they’re trying to build the midseason draft into something bigger then it is? Not many players taken in the MSD have gone in to do much.

From the limited stuff I've seen from him at VFL level he has some tools that are quite impressive for a man his height. He's really co-ordinated and quite smooth at ground level from what I've seen. I'd say he has the biggest upside out of our young ruck options. Rucks tend to take quite a while to develop so I think he's a good 3-4 years off playing regular senior footy, unless we want to rush him in a la Tim English well before he's ready. I guess we have the luxury of not having to do that given the amount of options we have

Remove this Banner Ad

Back