Past #32: Jacob Edwards - drafted w/ #1 in '20 MSD - delisted end '23 w/ 0 NM games & 0 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely unforgiveable blunder by the NM recruiters. To take Edwards ahead of J Newcombe is dead-set negligence.

Did Rawlings & co. genuinely get stooged by a rumour????

Edwards has shown zero promise in his time at NMFC while J Newcombe polls 20 votes in the Brownlow.

How can we be confident re the direction of our club when Rawlings is still heading our recruiting????

If we'd taken Ash Johnson, I could live with that. But Edwards???? Come on. Please. Give me a spell.
With Rawlings F:cks up this year draft with the picks we received he should be sacked and it still got me beat he has a job at North

Not a f***ing club in the league wouldn’t have taken Edwards at 1, even the Hawks would have hoped the bounty on Newcombe would reach the 2nd round.

This is not a North recruiting issue, it’s a lazy human gifted a one a million chance problem. Sometimes these kids just can’t be arsed.

Newcombe had been training with Box Hill and he deliberately set a very high price (and long contract, iirc) to make sure he got to the Hawks. The AFL changed the rules of the MSD to make sure nobody could do that again.

The alleged consensus first pick was Edwards, so we basically had to take him. Recruiters are a conservative bunch, and if we took someone else and Edwards turned into a star, we'd be lambasted for it forever.

I'd prefer to look at the coaching and development that did or didn't happen, tbh. He didn't put on any weight, didn't improve as a player at all - surely spending 18 months in an AFL environment would achieve something?
Legit. He wasn't even up to VFL standard. I wanted him to make it so bad, I'm not sure what happened.

With Rawlings F:cks up this year draft with the picks we received he should be sacked and it still got me beat he has a job at North
Last couple national drafts I feel like Rawlings has nailed them. There is probably two or three players who have turned out as 'good picks ' from the mid season. (Kallan Dawson could also be added to that list in 12 months time)

I feel that the hype around Edwards persuaded Rawlings and co to snag him. Twomey and that other half wit were raving about him for weeks.

We are just shite at picking a diamond out of the mud during mid-season.

Newcombe had been training with Box Hill and he deliberately set a very high price (and long contract, iirc) to make sure he got to the Hawks. The AFL changed the rules of the MSD to make sure nobody could do that again.

The alleged consensus first pick was Edwards, so we basically had to take him. Recruiters are a conservative bunch, and if we took someone else and Edwards turned into a star, we'd be lambasted for it forever.

I'd prefer to look at the coaching and development that did or didn't happen, tbh. He didn't put on any weight, didn't improve as a player at all - surely spending 18 months in an AFL environment would achieve something?
Well said.
But this bloke spent 2 and half years on the list not 18 months
Wtf was he doing?

Don't even know where this one went wrong.
Consensus #1 pick. But then made zero progress after walking in the door. In fact it feels like he went backwards.
Did he just not try?

He just didn’t have the desire to be an AFL player. Simple as that. I think he thought it would all come together very easy.

His effort on the track and in the gym and his willingness to learn left a lot to be desired. Half way through this year he had completely checked out and was just going through the motions (if you can even call it that). I’ll be surprised if he is even playing at all next year.

He just didn’t have the desire to be an AFL player. Simple as that. I think he thought it would all come together very easy.

His effort on the track and in the gym and his willingness to learn left a lot to be desired. Half way through this year he had completely checked out and was just going through the motions (if you can even call it that). I’ll be surprised if he is even playing at all next year.
Yeah, the lack of effort in the gym was super obvious.

looked like 5 toothpicks taped together and could be knocked over by a stiff breeze. And that was after 2 yrs on the list.

Arguably wasn't even our worst pick in the 2020 MSD. WTF were they thinking with Charlie Ham? Seemingly, his only elite attribute was that he had no elite attributes.
Obviously thinking ham…

ham saint GIF by Scorpion Dagger

Arguably wasn't even our worst pick in the 2020 MSD. WTF were they thinking with Charlie Ham? Seemingly, his only elite attribute was that he had no elite attributes.

Just won a flag with Torquay alongside his brother, which is about his level.

A8F07EA2-88A6-4A52-9D35-4AA82C9AE407.png

Newcombe was absolutely worth what he set for himself and it's a furphy that it was some kind of conspiracy by him to get to the Hawks. It was his preference, he was a gun, was worth it, and the Hawks had pick #2 anyway.

We fumbled it and it's no one's fault but ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For any revisionists, Edwards was unanimously regarded across the league as the number 1 pick in that MSD. We would have looked stupid if we didn't take him.
Sadly, it didn't work out because he didn't have the drive to be an AFL player, combined with our perpetual shitness in player development.

For any revisionists, Edwards was unanimously regarded across the league as the number 1 pick in that MSD. We would have looked stupid if we didn't take him.
Sadly, it didn't work out because he didn't have the drive to be an AFL player, combined with our perpetual shitness in player development.

This was all on him.

About his level

Cheltenham president Adam King is confident his club can provide what his two new recruits are looking for.
Former North Melbourne rookie Jacob Edwards and his brother Harry are desperate to enjoy their footy and have chosen to do so at Jack Barker Oval in 2024.

Jacob, who stands over two metres tall, went Pick No.1 in the 2021 mid-season draft but didn’t play a senior game for the Roos before being delisted last month.

Harry has spent recent years at Southern league Division 1 rival Mordialloc, where he played 16 senior matches for the return of 14 goals this year.

King said the Rosellas have got “two different type of footballers” at the peak of their powers.

“Jacob is 205cm, he is going to give a lot of effort and a lot of first use of the footy,” he said.

“Importantly from our end, he wants to have fun and enjoy his footy, I think for the last two years he has been in the AFL system – we can provide him with that.

“Harry is 25 years of age, he’s a goal kicking-forward who can do some freaky stuff, we’re really looking forward to him at the peak of his footy.

“He’s really excited for the opportunity to play with his brother.”

“Importantly from our end, he wants to have fun and enjoy his footy, I think for the last two years he has been in the AFL system – we can provide him with that.
Nice of him to let recruiters know he just wanted to have a giggle, and not take it too seriously, otherwise we might have been conned into making a disastrous choice in that midseason draft.

About his level

Cheltenham president Adam King is confident his club can provide what his two new recruits are looking for.
Former North Melbourne rookie Jacob Edwards and his brother Harry are desperate to enjoy their footy and have chosen to do so at Jack Barker Oval in 2024.

Jacob, who stands over two metres tall, went Pick No.1 in the 2021 mid-season draft but didn’t play a senior game for the Roos before being delisted last month.

Harry has spent recent years at Southern league Division 1 rival Mordialloc, where he played 16 senior matches for the return of 14 goals this year.

King said the Rosellas have got “two different type of footballers” at the peak of their powers.

“Jacob is 205cm, he is going to give a lot of effort and a lot of first use of the footy,” he said.

“Harry is 25 years of age, he’s a goal kicking-forward who can do some freaky stuff, we’re really looking forward to him at the peak of his footy.

“He’s really excited for the opportunity to play with his brother.”

Well if its effort of the variety he displayed with us, then they are in for a rude awakening.

Kinda feel pissed he took the opportunity he had for granted. Because in my eyes, that's how I see it.

There are players with 6/10 ability that would've done every possible thing to make it in his position. Maybe they would've played a few AFL matches too.

I just don't get it. This industry is tough and really gets to you, if you're not ready, own up to it. Simple as that. Don't make the club try as hard as they can for nothing.

This footy club should delist players knowing that player gave everything they could to make it. This is really annoying.

Kinda feel pissed he took the opportunity he had for granted. Because in my eyes, that's how I see it.

There are players with 6/10 ability that would've done every possible thing to make it in his position. Maybe they would've played a few AFL matches too.

I just don't get it. This industry is tough and really gets to you, if you're not ready, own up to it. Simple as that. Don't make the club try as hard as they can for nothing.

This footy club should delist players knowing that player gave everything they could to make it. This is really annoying.
Won’t be playing football at any level within 2 years anyway a wasted talent and soft as butter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back