Past James Bell - delisted 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

qJOoyoJJ.jpg

James Bell

Player Profile

QBE Sydney Swans Academy product James Bell was rewarded for shining NEAFL form when he was called up for his AFL debut against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in Round 21, 2019. The young Swan is one of Sydney’s quickest players, attacks the footy hard and can play on the inside of the midfield, on a wing or at half-forward. In a tribute to his family, Bell celebrated his first AFL goal with a striking Indigenous dance at the MCG in Round 22 last year.

James Bell

DOB:10 February 1999
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: University of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited:

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think that is an unfair and unhelpful comparison. Bell is a very different kind of player. For those that need a little bit of a reminder about what club legend O'Loughlin was capable of:

I don't think so. He's a clever bugger. Has the same sort of goal sense. Not as tall as Micky O but has a certain excitement about him when he gets near the ball. But yes different players. He plays more like Walters or Whitfield. Can play mids, half forward or half back. Kicks goals when he gets near them.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think so. He's a clever bugger. Has the same sort of goal sense. Not as tall as Micky O but has a certain excitement about him when he gets near the ball. But yes different players. He plays more like Walters or Whitfield. Can play mids, half forward or half back. Kicks goals when he gets near them.

The point I am making is a few years at top level and he will develop poise. No footballer automatically has that poise. He learns it through experience and knowing he has the weapons to compete at this level.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Really excited to see Bell play in seniors. I'm not sold that he'll be a long-term seniors player but he deserves a shot. His kicking is pretty poor from what I've seen but I love his game sense in traffic and around stoppages. Fires out quick and clever handpasses to teammates in very tight situation and has a bit of pace to get away from opponents.

Hope he goes well. Have a look at the video on the website of him calling his mum too, very wholesome.

I think that is an unfair and unhelpful comparison. Bell is a very different kind of player. For those that need a little bit of a reminder about what club legend O'Loughlin was capable of:

True. I agree an unfair comparison. The young fella is just going to be the best James Bell he can be. He has no shortage of rough edges but the little I have seen over a couple of years on the telly suggests he will have a red hot crack.

Us fans in the cheap seats cannot ask for more than that.

Whether he makes it as an AFL player is up to his application, people reinforcing his confidence and learning and of course a smidgeon of luck. He has pace to burn, reads the play well and is very team focussed. Like every young bloke he has much to work on and a long and hopefully productive road ahead.

For the moment lets just rejoice in another very excited youngster, his family and crew looking forward to his debut, getting a kick and hopefully copping a Gatorade shower!

James BELL NEAFL stats*

*2017 and 2016 as a topup player

Stat2019 (Sydney NEAFL)2018 (Sydney NEAFL)2017 (Sydney NEAFL)2016 (Sydney NEAFL)
Total games151221
Total in best players list7300
Total NEAFL MVP votes6600
Average kicks9.97.19.09.0
Average handballs10.95.75.53.0
Average disposals20.812.814.512.0
Average marks2.41.53.05.0
Average tackles5.43.81.03.0
Average clearances3.42.01.50.0
Average inside 50s2.92.30.55.0
Average rebound 50s1.30.50.50.0
Average frees for0.90.50.51.0
Average frees against1.30.71.02.0
Total goals51501
Total behinds8602
Average Dream Team points80.0058.9248.5063.00

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is no micky o

Not even close imo
Agree, different type of player altogether. Let’s hope he is the first James Bell, and a damn good one.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

such good memories, forgot how skinny he was in his early years. Was at that 06 qf final, best game of football I've ever seen live.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
James BELL NEAFL stats*

*2017 and 2016 as a topup player

Stat2019 (Sydney NEAFL)2018 (Sydney NEAFL)2017 (Sydney NEAFL)2016 (Sydney NEAFL)
Total games151221
Total in best players list7300
Total NEAFL MVP votes6600
Average kicks9.97.19.09.0
Average handballs10.95.75.53.0
Average disposals20.812.814.512.0
Average marks2.41.53.05.0
Average tackles5.43.81.03.0
Average clearances3.42.01.50.0
Average inside 50s2.92.30.55.0
Average rebound 50s1.30.50.50.0
Average frees for0.90.50.51.0
Average frees against1.30.71.02.0
Total goals51501
Total behinds8602
Average Dream Team points80.0058.9248.5063.00
Great stats, where do you get them from?

JZ_Skitzo

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Seahawks
such good memories, forgot how skinny he was in his early years. Was at that 06 qf final, best game of football I've ever seen live.

I was there as well. Have to agree it was insane. I couldn't sleep for hours afterwards because of the sheer amount of Adrenalin my body was over dosing on. Had the shakes.

Enjoy yourself today :)

To 17-year-old James Bell, who will debut for the Sydney Swans on Saturay night, it felt like a jail.
“We didn’t actually call it a hostel or anything. Us boys would just say, ‘oh well, getting picked up and going back to our cells,” says Bell.
“Boys would fight over food because they’d only give us a certain amount.
“The rooms were just a single bed and a cupboard. There was nothing else in there. You had no mirror to look in. As soon as they closed the doors, they took the phones off you and you couldn’t get out without setting off the alarms. Legit, it sometimes felt like a jail.”

Heading down a path to self-destruction in Shellharbour on the NSW south coast, Bell was thrown a lifeline by Sydney legend Michael O’Loughlin and Chris Smith at the Swans Academy, allowing him to escape from the distractions that were threatening to blow his sporting ambitions up on the runway.

Link to article in this tweet seems to get around the paywall

I can't read anything about this young bloke now without shedding a tear!
I hope and pray he follows in the footsteps of Micky O and that today is the start of a long and glorious career.

Just an aside, how wonderful is Mickey O?
and from that article Adam Goodes is whipper-snipping and mowing lawns.
What a support group young James has.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Very tough position to debut in this team this season you have zero support.

Yeah mostly stuck forward pocket without much delivery, but he was also not quite up to the pace. But that’s ok, he’s 20, reckon he’s got a taste and whether or not he gets another game this year, hopefully it will set him up well for next year.

Yeah mostly stuck forward pocket without much delivery, but he was also not quite up to the pace. But that’s ok, he’s 20, reckon he’s got a taste and whether or not he gets another game this year, hopefully it will set him up well for next year.

Did a couple of nice things. Just needs to adjust a bit and preferably be played further up the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back