Delisted #32: Josh Eyre - Not offered a contract but will trial for SSP rookie spot - 11/11

32 eyre.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited by a moderator:
Quiet day but competed well in the air.

Josh Eyre
Stats: five disposals, one mark, one tackle

“Josh played alongside Cian as one of our key forwards. He had a bit of a quiet day, but what he did do well was compete in the contest for us. If he didn't mark, he sort of halved those aerial contests and sometimes he was up against two tall opposition players, so for him to be able to do that was a real growth in his game."

Also to learn off the forwards
Josh Eyre
Stats: 10 disposals, three marks, two tackles

“[Josh] had his first game as a backman this week. What I liked was he really embraced the challenge. Casey had a really strong forward line, and I thought he competed really hard in the air which is what we wanted him to do. It was a really good experience from him - learning how to defend but also learning off the good forwards he was playing against. He competed hard and he learnt a lot form that game.”

Like him as the back up ruck to keep him a bit more involved but we’re setting up the ground much better this week which is helping him.

Cracking left foot set shot as well, that genuinely went 60

Forward/ruck, developing nicely but needs to work on aerial craft.

Josh Eyre
Stats: Six disposals, one goal, two marks, two tackles

“Josh played forward and then went into the ruck for us at different stages to give Nick [Bryan] a bit of a rest. He competed really well and got to probably the most aerial contests that he has all year. He’s still got a bit of work to do on his aerial craft. He finished off a beautiful goal as a result of a sling tackle which sort of knocked him around a bit, but he went back and kicked a beautiful goal outside 50. Some of his leading patterns were much improved this week, so I felt like he took some nice steps forward in his development.”

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
A pretty tough couple of years to be a developing vic draftee kpp with the lack of comp last year and the sporadic vfl comp this year. Hopefully he gets a good preseason, builds his, what looks like it could be, massive athletic frame and gets some confidence next year.

The more I think about how he played in defence the more I like him. He's got a really good boot on him, is a leftie (unlike literally defender we have that isn't Heppell), and went toe-to-toe with an AFL standard key forward for a half.

I hope we see him play round 1 of the VFL at CHB so he can do that again.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
The more I think about how he played in defence the more I like him. He's got a really good boot on him, is a leftie (unlike literally defender we have that isn't Heppell), and went toe-to-toe with an AFL standard key forward for a half.

I hope we see him play round 1 of the VFL at CHB so he can do that again.
Who was the forward?

Rather, you mentioned he played defence. Against whom did he defend?
Went with Weideman against Casey, was doing well until he copped a cookie and then against Sandy he was on their second ruck (Carey? I think)

Went with Weideman against Casey, was doing well until he copped a cookie and then against Sandy he was on their second ruck (Carey? I think)

Couldn't cope with the sugar rush?

Back