Delisted #32: Josh Eyre - Not offered a contract but will trial for SSP rookie spot - 11/11

32 eyre.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Joshua Eyre

Height
: 198cm

Weight:85kg

POSITION: Key Forward/Tall Utility

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “An athletic key forward tied to Essendon’s Next Generation Academy; Eyre catches the eye with his size, athleticism, and booming left foot.” – Ed Pascoe

Joshua Eyre came seemingly out of nowhere last year, working into the Calder Cannons’ NAB League side in Round 9 and becoming a mainstay for the team; playing back and forward, before settling in attack. Eyre really caught the eye in Calder’s come-from-behind elimination final win against Dandenong, where he notched season-high efforts for disposals (11) and goals (two). His performance was arguably the catalyst in clubs recommending him into the AFL Academy for 2020. Eyre was also added to Essendon’s Next Generation Academy (NGA) early in 2020, with his mother of Indigenous decent helping him qualify. The young Bombers supporter also got to train with Essendon alongside Calder teammate and fellow Essendon NGA member, Cody Brand. Eyre’s recent combine performance and with the exit of Joe Daniher makes the prospect of him joining the Bombers even more likely as long-term key position cover.

STRENGTHS:

• Athleticism
  • Endurance
  • Versatility
  • Marking
  • Kicking
  • Upside
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Production
  • Durability
  • Strength
Profile Credit: Aussie Rules Draft Central (https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/player/joshua-eyre/)

Welcome Josh!

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we simply had to take him, even if it was earlier than we were planning 6 weeks ago.

He has struggled with injury caused by growth, as I understand it. The interrupted year has allowed Eyre to put a stack of work into his strength and conditioning. He went from an underage 194-196cm KPP not renowned for athleticism to a 198cm player who crushed combine testing - it seems Eyre and Cox were the best tall athletes in it.

Who knows what that translates to. Maybe if he played this year he would never have gotten the opportunity to work on his body and maybe he doesn't develop the tools to take a game apart or maybe it all comes together and he's regarded as a first round pick.

It's interesting that he has a bigger reputation now than Brand does when, in reality, Brand is a more accomplished player without the buzz of having had a good combine.

My gut tells me, and it is informed by a guy who has worked with Eyre at Calder, that this could hardly have gone better for us.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
As has been said 1000s of times before, most of the good key forwards are drafted in the first round. While I don't think it's realistic to have much expectation on Josh, he has a better chance of making it than most of the others taken outside the first over the years.

Can't help but feel this draft (not the Dons' necessarily, the whole thing) will be looked back on as completely nuts in a few years.

We can't really determine where these players grow up... don't think its the afl going yep Essendon can get fked but dogs and norf can get em for free
As AFL assisted clubs I get suspicious

I wonder where he’d have been drafted if he played this year. Athletic freak KPF who can clunk a mark, it’s probably not outside the realm of possibility that he’d be a first round prospect.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Worth noting the club has him listed as 199cm, was 194cm 15 months ago so genuine possibility he could grow 1 - 2 more Cm.

I’m most excited about Josh and what he can do. Really hoping he can become a hard worker and develop into an AFL standard key forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Any relation to Jane?

Back