Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not ever going to call Mason a squib - I've seen him go running back with the flight just as hard as Carey.

And this element of the game - the ground ball forward line lock in stuff - isn't about "guts" at all.

It is about who is better at what. Taylor's a got a lower centre of gravity and a stronger core. he's also being very obviously instructed to do this in a forward line.

That stuff isn't Mason's go at all.

I like watching Mase in full flight and will bear him no ill will if he finds success at another club (as just as not against us in final etc etc)

I think most of the time its instruction - its evident at times that players are instructed to stay outside of the contest.
Some other players have a licence to do both.

roojor

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was wondering if this is the wake up call that Mason needs and that we will not trade him unless we get papley. Who is leading the swans goal kicking, we haven't traded many players that have been successful at other clubs of late .

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the rumours posted here are true and Mason was pressured into training through niggles, then I wouldn't be surprised if his manager has told him to look for another club.

If the rumours posted here are true and Mason was pressured into training through niggles, then I wouldn't be surprised if his manager has told him to look for another club.
Maybe, but theres a difference between taking it easy after informing coaches and doctors of an issue and avoiding training like Wells would when he wasn't 100%

Theres two ways to look at "Pressured to train".

1. The coaches were being unreasonable.
2. Mason is being a soft utensil and rightly called out on it.

I know which is more likely based on past history

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Garner, Zurhaar, TT, those three will hit the midfield sooner than later all things being equal. eg Zurhaar goes in Ziebell comes out.

It's fairly clear to me what we're trying to achieve.

Few people are going to be embarrassed when they realise Papley is a poor man's Lindsay Thomas.

I'm not suggesting Papley is the answer and that i watch Sydney games, so i can only go on his 2019 stats in a poor side, 324 disposals, 101 marks, 60 tackles and 35 goals. Reckon he's an upgrade on any current small forwards we have. Are we even sure we've got him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe, but theres a difference between taking it easy after informing coaches and doctors of an issue and avoiding training like Wells would when he wasn't 100%

You're quite possibly right.

But, knowing this industry, there's a reason lots of duty of care risk management stuff is creeping into clubs.

Plenty of blokes complain of soreness or not feeling right, get forced to push through it and called a soft****, then end up pinging a serious injury soon after.

I'm not as in the know as some, but even medicos in this industry can be in dispute as to whether a player is right to train or not.

We will wait and see. If he goes, I just hope we get fair value.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Using the new BF % model option 2 is 487% more likely than option 1. option 1 is 115%

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On the wireless this morning Gary Lyon named the three forwards he thinks the Dees should go after, he didn't mention Mas. Probably named as a reminder for the likes of Lyon.
I love how you say wireless. I asked the daughter for one a little while ago she had no idea what I was talking about .

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why are we not playing him on the wings? Let him to run on the wing with occasional thrust upward.
Yes. I've been on repeat saying that he has great endurance and can glide down the wing effortlessly and even snares goals running towards the forward 50.

Unless he can be part of a Kelly/Martin type trade, keep playing him.

FFS I don't know how garner comes off as untouchable, probably because he has less value but if we have room for one or the other as a marking forward. I'd go mase all the way.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes. I've been on repeat saying that he has great endurance and can glide down the wing effortlessly and even snares goals running towards the forward 50.

Unless he can be part of a Kelly/Martin type trade, keep playing him.

FFS I don't know how garner comes off as untouchable, probably because he has less value but if we have room for one or the other as a marking forward. I'd go mase all the way.

The thing with our team is that its too bland. Wood will be a great midfield option as his only real consistent asset is his running power, let him run along the wing for a half, get his confidence up and he will be able to rip things apart in the forward line. A lot of players will do wonder when they got the confidence. Playing him on the wing will be the catalyst for woods to take it to the next level, get a few early touches and he will rocket. Brad Scott never had the imagination to see the midfield in mason.

Back