Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Becoming a little worried about Mase. The bloke’s on the big bucks, has the talent and with his athletisicm, should be a well on his way to becoming a direct replacement for Waite - Floating forward that plays around the ground.

The club not picking him is a clear sign to me that he’s not working hard enough.

Maybe it’s time to reinvent him as a half back like Jeremy Howe.

If he isn’t having an impact by the mid point of the season as a half forward. A shift to half back or wing should be on the cards.

Half forward is the hardest position to play. With mason’s overhead marking and kicking skill he could be a weapon across half back.

Wood is the the guy who hasn't played so far this year that can make a real impact if he comes good.

Our depth past 26-27 players gets thin pretty quickly but Wood is the one guy that could make a real difference because he has the versatility to play either on the wing or up forward.

Compared to Garner (who is the other guy yet to come in) I think Wood is potentially more important - Garner is very capable but he is a bit more limited in the roles he can play. For example with JZ now up forward we already have 3 marking options with Waite and Brown - a 4th marking option in Garner could make it more congested and slow?

However a strong marking, hard running tall wingman in Wood could be a very important cog - IF he comes good.

Wood is the the guy who hasn't played so far this year that can make a real impact if he comes good.

Our depth past 26-27 players gets thin pretty quickly but Wood is the one guy that could make a real difference because he has the versatility to play either on the wing or up forward.

Compared to Garner (who is the other guy yet to come in) I think Wood is potentially more important - Garner is very capable but he is a bit more limited in the roles he can play. For example with JZ now up forward we already have 3 marking options with Waite and Brown - a 4th marking option in Garner could make it more congested and slow?

However a strong marking, hard running tall wingman in Wood could be a very important cog - IF he comes good.

Garner isn't slow ... admittedly I shudder at the thought of him striding out but still...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Garner is prepared to work, tackle and is a better mark than Wood anyway. He'd be way more valuable to us.
Yes that is probably true but our needs/team balance have changed somewhat with JZ playing permanent forward. Is there room for another permanent forward like Garner or is the need now greater for another option around the wing area?

I would love to see
Wood / Brown / Simpkin
Ziebell / Waite / Garner

with Turner in the mix, being our forwardline. I really do rate both Wood and Garner, I think Wood has the tools to be an A grader.

I would love to see
Wood / Brown / Simpkin
Ziebell / Waite / Garner

with Turner in the mix, being our forwardline. I really do rate both Wood and Garner, I think Wood has the tools to be an A grader.
I’m on record as hating the midget forward line we started the season with, but that’s plain crazy.

If you look at a forward rotation of BBB, Waite (replaced by Larkey, McKay or Durdin), JZ, Turner, Simpkin, Garner, with Zurhaar doing well, Wood better hope he can turn himself into a wingman.

Yep. Should be playing more as a wingman. Using his endurance to get up & down the ground.

I'll start considering Wood being capable of playing multiple positions when he shows that he has the work ethic, durability and talent to play one position consistently.

I'll start considering Wood being capable of playing multiple positions when he shows that he has the work ethic, durability and talent to play one position consistently.

Yep. Hasn't actually shown that much as yet imo. Has he had a game where's he been a consistent four quarter contributor, rather than just (admittedly impressive) cameos?

I'd love to know what he is in the bad books for. You would imagine that a player we paid overs on a long contract for, who is still fairly young, would be being given plenty of opportunity to prove himself in games.

Either he is persona non grata (and don't tell me this doesn't happen in football, because it does - and brad scott seems particularly bad with player relationships effecting the starting lineup), or he is really deficient in some aspects of his game that the coaches have asked of him.

If its football things, what are they and how do we track that? If he just can't play football at the required level, we need to set him loose, but I'd like more information provided on mason given the length of his contract - feels like no-one is talking. One thing is clear, we do not feel the need to give mase the benefit of any doubt when it comes to performance from a list selection point of view, which can only mean bad things (in either of the reasons I put).

More transparency on one of our longest contracted players is needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back