Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Freshened up after the layoff buddy? Been training indoors with the rehab group?

TBH I'm a bit concerned how you'll hit round 1 with the interrupted preseason.
I’m already in mid season bat s**t crazy football mode.... did you not see my eagles.
I’ll be like Jason Kelce at the SB parade for Round 2 at Home on Good Friday against the bitch ass saints!!!!

Would have just been a bruised ego. Speaking from experience it ******* hurts and then because you get clipped on the nose your eyes start watering. So if you haven't suffered enough everyone starts accusing you of crying so of course you start crying because your not crying and it's really frustrating. So it's either that or pretend you're seriously concussed but then you're that guy that got knocked out by a ball so anytime you're out with your mates and someone asks "could you take him?" everyone says "you couldn't mase, you've got a glass chin and a gust of wind makes you do the chicken dance". Then you've got some dickhead called Phillyroo calling you a cat and bagging you out on the internet. But then you think "that's okay, look at how ripped i am. Jy and I can play the acoustic guitar so we probably slay so many women it's not funny."

Footy is tough. It's not all about the physical stuff you've also got to deal with the mental side of things too.
Heh I dont know how you come up with this random stuff

I replied... if I was lurking I would have said nothing. Wish Mason all the best, hope he proves me wrong this year.

You jumped the gun a little early on this one mate.

Woods talent is undeniable, and he hasn't had a big enough run of games to warrant serious criticism.

Let's see what happens when he strings 20 or more games together.

His 2018 average of 14 disposals, 4 marks and 1.4 goals wasn't that bad considering his lack of experience.

If he can take that up to 18 disposals, 6 marks and 2.0 goals and over, then that is a pretty good output for a HFF. That's Robbie Gray territory.

I replied... if I was lurking I would have said nothing. Wish Mason all the best, hope he proves me wrong this year.

I'm a touch letdown that you didn't use this as an opportunity to tell Mason to pull his thumb out of his arse...

He can't afford to keep having years where he isn't an established regular player. Not with more and more youth coming up behind him now.

Woods talent is undeniable, and he hasn't had a big enough run of games to warrant serious criticism.

His 2018 average of 14 disposals, 4 marks and 1.4 goals wasn't that bad considering his lack of experience.

If he can take that up to 18 disposals, 6 marks and 2.0 goals and over, then that is a pretty good output for a HFF. That's Robbie Gray territory.

The talent is undeniable. The ability to string 20 games together is the bigger concern.

It has nothing to do with his possession count, it has everything to do with his effort and his avoidance of body contact.

It has nothing to do with his possession count, it has everything to do with his effort and his avoidance of body contact.
Didn't he lead us for tackles per game in the forward half last year? Not effort related.

Correct about avoiding contact, last year I remember wandering if he was still worried about injuries and not wanting to dive into it. His stats show a lot more outside play than last year, with his uncontested possessions going up and contested going down (total remained pretty much the same).

Didn't he lead us for tackles per game in the forward half last year? Not effort related.

Correct about avoiding contact, last year I remember wandering if he was still worried about injuries and not wanting to dive into it. His stats show a lot more outside play than last year, with his uncontested possessions going up and contested going down (total remained pretty much the same).
Again, couldn’t care less about his stats... he fails the eye test. If I saw my kid in under 10’s pull out of contests, avoid body contact and actually run away from the opportunity to get involved when the heat is on I would call him out too. Mason is probably top three in talent on our list (LDU and Simpkin) but last of all in heart.

Again, couldn’t care less about his stats... he fails the eye test. If I saw my kid in under 10’s pull out of contests, avoid body contact and actually run away from the opportunity to get involved when the heat is on I would call him out too. Mason is probably top three in talent on our list (LDU and Simpkin) but last of all in heart.
Hehe. He doesnt run away.

Clearing space as a forward is a thing you know. Perhaps your eyes were seeing something, but the brain was understanding it to be something it wasn't.

Hehe. He doesnt run away.

Clearing space as a forward is a thing you know. Perhaps your eyes were seeing something, but the brain was understanding it to be something it wasn't.
Yes he does...
Yep I understand leading patterns.
I stand by my opinion.

It’s not to say that he will always play this way. Like I said, the guy is talented.

Yes he does...
Yep I understand leading patterns.
I stand by my opinion.

It’s not to say that he will always play this way. Like I said, the guy is talented.

I can only assume you saw it happen a couple of times and it really annoyed you, hence your opinion of Mason from which you won't budge.

It's funny, however, that you're so forgiving of JMac's turnstile tackles, and yelling and pointing when he should be going.

I say that as a JMac fan, but he's been found wanting at least as often as Mason has. And pretty much every AFL player has a moment or two that he'd like to take back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can only assume you saw it happen a couple of times and it really annoyed you, hence your opinion of Mason from which you won't budge.

It's funny, however, that you're so forgiving of JMac's turnstile tackles, and yelling and pointing when he should be going.

I say that as a JMac fan, but he's been found wanting at least as often as Mason has. And pretty much every AFL player has a moment or two that he'd like to take back.
I watch JMac closely and not only is he ripping bloke off the field, but he also gives max effort all the damn time. Don’t mistake his smarts and leadership for someone who doesn’t have a crack.

I watch JMac closely and not only is he ripping bloke off the field, but he also gives max effort all the damn time. Don’t mistake his smarts and leadership for someone who doesn’t have a crack.

A bit selective here, Philly. (1) off the field is irrelevant to this issue (I've met JMac a few times and I agree, by the way), and (2) if he's giving maximum effort when he tackles, then that effort is not AFL standard. If it came to that, I'd prefer to work with Wood, whose skills are clearly AFL standard, including his tackling.

A bit selective here, Philly. (1) off the field is irrelevant to this issue (I've met JMac a few times and I agree, by the way), and (2) if he's giving maximum effort when he tackles, then that effort is not AFL standard. If it came to that, I'd prefer to work with Wood, whose skills are clearly AFL standard, including his tackling.
Everyone knows Jmacs tackling is poor, it's not a lack of effort. Imo he fully makes up for it in other aspects of the game though

AFL shot clock debate: Brad Scott, Alan Richardson praise Mason Wood for shot clock use

The Kangaroos led by one point with 22 seconds left when Mason Wood caught Jack Newnes holding the ball against the boundary line in the Roos’ forward pocket.

Wood then stood statuesque, watching his allotted 30 seconds tick down on the Etihad Stadium big screen — and the game clock with it — in an unprecedented finish to an AFL game.

The final siren sounded with the 10-game player still holding the ball and Saints fans booing and jeering. To salt the wound for St Kilda, Wood kicked the goal after the siren to secure a seven-point win and North’s best start to a season since 1979.

This bloke has a high sporting IQ too... oh and his tackles stick.. genius!

AFL shot clock debate: Brad Scott, Alan Richardson praise Mason Wood for shot clock use

The Kangaroos led by one point with 22 seconds left when Mason Wood caught Jack Newnes holding the ball against the boundary line in the Roos’ forward pocket.

Wood then stood statuesque, watching his allotted 30 seconds tick down on the Etihad Stadium big screen — and the game clock with it — in an unprecedented finish to an AFL game.

The final siren sounded with the 10-game player still holding the ball and Saints fans booing and jeering. To salt the wound for St Kilda, Wood kicked the goal after the siren to secure a seven-point win and North’s best start to a season since 1979.

This bloke has a high sporting IQ too... oh and his tackles stick.. genius!
You must have missed the runner telling him what to do... genius!

Oh I agree, Mason is way more talented than JMac. I liken the beginning of his career to Nelson Agholor. Unbelievable talent, crazy athletic ability, probably found the game easy... but due to work ethic, desire and or hardness lacking struggled except for the occasional flash of brilliance. Agholor was amazing this season after an incredible training camp... I was hoping for the same from Mason, hopefully this thumb injury doesn’t derail that.

Everyone knows Jmacs tackling is poor, it's not a lack of effort. Imo he fully makes up for it in other aspects of the game though

That's basically my point, we (rightly) cut JMac slack for his weakness because he makes up for it elsewhere. But the person most willing to cut JMac slack is unwilling to do the same for Mason.

You must have missed the runner telling him what to do... genius!

Um, yeah ok. Mason needed the runner to tell him (you allege), so another reason for you to criticise. I just can't help thinking you might have missed the runner if number 34 had the ball instead.

And I recall that Mason absolutely nailed the kick after the siren, not sure how many others would have.

That's basically my point, we (rightly) cut JMac slack for his weakness because he makes up for it elsewhere. But the person most willing to cut JMac slack is unwilling to do the same for Mason.
Jmacs weakness isn’t effort, desire.... I don’t know what is hard to understand here.

Um, yeah ok. Mason needed the runner to tell him (you allege), so another reason for you to criticise. I just can't help thinking you might have missed the runner if number 34 had the ball instead.

And I recall that Mason absolutely nailed the kick after the siren, not sure how many others would have.
When did I criticise him for listening to the runner? If you don’t agree with me, and think Mason is hard at it, a true shinboner who gives his all every week.... well I don’t even know what to say.

Jmacs weakness isn’t effort, desire.... I don’t know what is hard to understand here.

What's so hard to understand is that you've witnessed one or two incidents where you reckon Wood lacked effort or desire, and have allowed that to become your entire perception of the guy.

The rest of us know that was one of his weaknesses in the early days, but it just hasn't been there the last couple of seasons. Unfortunately, he's been cruelled by injury (at least one of them arising from him being too courageous) since, so hasn't shown his superior skills.

Then we've got the guy that you salivate over, who has a fundamental weakness in his game and you're applauding him for effort and desire. It's not under 12s mate, you don't get a participation trophy. If it's not AFL standard, it's a problem for the team.

Bottom line: JMac's tackling is still crap, but Wood's "not hard enough" weakness is no longer there. Not hard to understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back