Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
He is 24 but has only played 26 games so he deserves one more year.

I had very high hopes for him in 2017 but it wasn't to be - really needs to make 2018 his year. I'm sure he is a lock for round 1.

If in 12 months we are still talking about his 'potential' or 'what injury is it this time' - then he will end up down the Aaron Black road.

Not sure where I land on Mase - I hope he makes it - we need him - but it's line ball at this stage of his career.

Bingo!

Let him work in to a few games folks.

HF in a side that has a struggling midfield, is no walk in the park.

Time to get rid of Boomer.....our skills get worse and worse every year....

I have a view on skills. There is only so much you can do in improving skills if someone is poor in a particular area. Look at Casboult at the Bluws. He has had so much work put into him by some very good goal kickers and he is still not even at workmanlike level. You are either born with them or you are not and if you are not the best that can be hoped for is some improvement, however some don't improve and some deteriorate.

I'm a perfect example (although "perfect" is the wrong word with me). I was born ugly and over the years I have got steadily (sometimes rapidly) worse. Not that anyone has tried doing anything to improve my looks, mainly because they have realised the impossibility of any such task.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I have a view on skills. There is only so much you can do in improving skills if someone is poor in a particular area.

Agree.

Generally, there's a limited degree of skill improvement once a player arrives at a club with a particular skill set.

The ability to make decisions, triangulate and execute at AFL level, with an existing skill set, is where most improvement is achieved.

LDU is going through this process right now.

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
I have a view on skills. There is only so much you can do in improving skills if someone is poor in a particular area. Look at Casboult at the Bluws. He has had so much work put into him by some very good goal kickers and he is still not even at workmanlike level. You are either born with them or you are not and if you are not the best that can be hoped for is some improvement, however some don't improve and some deteriorate.

I'm a perfect example (although "perfect" is the wrong word with me). I was born ugly and over the years I have got steadily (sometimes rapidly) worse. Not that anyone has tried doing anything to improve my looks, mainly because they have realised the impossibility of any such task.
Absolutely correct Horace. Kicking is a finely tuned skill that I believe needs to be perfected at a young age. It needs to be technically sound when first learnt and practised until it becomes instinctive. Trying to relearn technique or fine tune it in later years may appear to work at training and such but when put under pressure and fatigued players will revert back to old habits. I have trouble teaching 9 year olds at my sons training who have already been taught the wrong way or never shown the correct way. Recorrectng 15+ years of poor technique would be a lot harder.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Surely Brad Pitt or George Clooney could be called in on some sort of consultancy basis Horace? Not to mention the great advances in plastic surgery and the likes of botox, fillers and the Ponds Institute. All is not lost......

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At stages throughout the year he is going to be starved of good footy in the forward line.

If he can’t get involved I’d really like to see him in the centre square for a few ball ups. Would be interested to see how he’d use his height and agility around the contest. He is good enough below his feet to make it an option.

Surely Brad Pitt or George Clooney could be called in on some sort of consultancy basis Horace? Not to mention the great advances in plastic surgery and the likes of botox, fillers and the Ponds Institute. All is not lost......

Thank-you kaboom kid. I shall ponder all of those options. Mrs. H has a thing about George Clooney. She clearly aimed high but scored low (so to speak) I might stop there lest this all gets out of hand!!! :$

Ah! But you've improved self deprecation to an art form Horace.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Spare us the false modesty mate.

sean-connery-9255144-1-402.jpg

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Between those two, I'm honestly not sure who I believe less. The deal he got isn't what you'd give to a player in his position with no genuine outside interest.

We're talking about a club that was scared into re-signing their non-premiership decade long coach because a rumour circulated that the 17th placed side were interested.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Between those two, I'm honestly not sure who I believe less. The deal he got isn't what you'd give to a player in his position with no genuine outside interest.

I’m sure there was plenty of interest, it just wasn’t from Sydney.

And anyway we give out crazy contracts and extensions to players all the time regardless of interest from other clubs.

I’m sure there was plenty of interest, it just wasn’t from Sydney.

And anyway we give out crazy contracts and extensions to players all the time regardless of interest from other clubs.
Trying to think what the "overs" deals we've given out recently are. Goldy, Black, Wood. Who else? Swallow? Thomas? We got out from under those and they were heart and soul guys. JZ, Cunners. Captain and best player, both well established and not paying for unrealised upside.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Trying to think what the "overs" deals we've given out recently are. Goldy, Black, Wood. Who else? Swallow? Thomas? We got out from under those and they were heart and soul guys. JZ, Cunners. Captain and best player, both well established and not paying for unrealised upside.

Daw was a joke
Garner with his body didn't need to be extended. Strange decision
Anderson understand the risk but it was a poor decision
LT and Swallow were both under contract for the 2018. Would they have left if they were given a year less on each of the deals.
J Mac didn't need to be extended.

I understand showing faith but some of our decisions have been crazy.

Ps: i still think Wood will be ok and am hopeful that we'll be paying unders on his contract by the end of it..

SuperGav.

Back