Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Has star potential.

Needs to do it consistently.

Going at a goal a game so far.

Won't ever be a key forward IMO.

That's fine though.

If he can play a N Reiwoldt style role then it would be fantastic for us. Hard running lead up fwd, roaming type.

We have enough key forwards either playing or developing in any case for that not to be a concern.

That's fine though.

If he can play a N Reiwoldt style role then it would be fantastic for us. Hard running lead up fwd, roaming type.

We have enough key forwards either playing or developing in any case for that not to be a concern.

Our HF line is the Bermuda triangle.

We don't use that area of the field.

Of course you are

Play in some pretty high level dynasty leagues. I've been all in on young Mason for 3 years. I love watching footy, I love scouting under 18 talent (that sounds a little wrong..), love watching vfl footy..... i have liked Wood for over 2 years. Guy never got a decent run at this year. Concussion, injured knee, as u already know. He showed exactly what I thought this season be it injury interrupted.

Not some Hawks troll mate trying to infiltrate ur board. Just trying to talk footy is all. No agenda here.

Our HF line is the Bermuda triangle.

We don't use that area of the field.

I"m not a massive non North footy watcher so can't comment on whether that's common across a lot of teams nowadays. I will say that we have been like this for years. I'm scrambling my brain to think of one but can't, we probably haven't really had a genuine bona fide CHF role for over a decade.

I"m not a massive non North footy watcher so can't comment on whether that's common across a lot of teams nowadays. I will say that we have been like this for years. I'm scrambling my brain to think of one but can't, we probably haven't really had a genuine bona fide CHF role for over a decade.

I thought it Brown and Waite both played that position/role well during the latter half of last year and the first half of this one. It was one of the reasons we went so well during that period.

I'm in agreeance with recent posts. Lots of potential and some really good moments, but he's not there yet. I know it's human nature to want a footballing messiah, but they rarely deliver you team success. Witness a certain Geelong player who didn't achieve that this year despite one of the best individual seasons in recent history.

A solid, reliable performer who gives his all for the team, solidifies himself in the best 22 and makes others better is all I'm hoping for. Anything above that is a bonus.

GOYR142016WoodPickup.gif

This is why we get excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not afraid to say it - the kid has 'it'.

Was hugely evident the first time I seen him glide across an AFL ground.

He reads the ball so well, uses his athleticism to his advantage, hits the packs like a mad man, has an IQ (sucked in Saints!) and from what I can gather just absolutely hates getting beat.

This all ads up to the swagger of a certain former great, I'm in no way putting him in the same stratosphere as the certain former great but gee the traits are eerily similar..

He reads the ball so well, uses his athleticism to his advantage, hits the packs like a mad man, has an IQ (sucked in Saints!) and from what I can gather just absolutely hates getting beat.

This all ads up to the swagger of a certain former great, I'm in no way putting him in the same stratosphere as the certain former great but gee the traits are eerily similar..
0516dedc93e3ba7836742501d4e2f0a872f0ee-wm.jpg

It wasn't just that Carey did stuff like Wood in the gifs and vids above tho. It was that he just did it nearly all the time. Carey would probably have over 45 plays a season like Wood's pickup and handball in that gif. They might not have all been as far or all led to goals (tho some might even have been more accurate,) but he would pick the ball up on the move and deliver it to a smaller running players advantage at least twice a game. It was probably more when he was in really good form. And his kicking was as good.

At this level every player will be Carey-like at times. Some will even be regularly. Carey was Carey-like for nearly every game of his whole career.

If Wood is the second of those things we'll be singing his praises for a decade. If he's the third then lightning would have struck the club twice.

Did anyone saw the all stars game before the finals? - I thought it was obvious then just how much better Carey was than everyone else. When he turned it on he looked so much classier than every other old campaigner out there.

Also ... Carey like doesn't just mean spectacular stuff on the footy field.

It means the doing the ordinary, even ugly, hard working stuff when it mattered too. And willing yourself into the contest and back into the game when it mattered and seemed you couldn't. That stuff was even more important.

16 career games for 225 disposals, 70 marks of which 30 are contested, 16 goals, 15 behinds and a lazy 41 tackles with an average of 74% game time. Adding all that up suggests to me we've a likely A-Grader on our hands.
I hope your right that he'll become an A-Grader, hell I want him to be a superstar. Hopefully you or someone will bump this thread one day and tell me how wrong I was.

I hope your right that he'll become an A-Grader, hell I want him to be a superstar. Hopefully you or someone will bump this thread one day and tell me how wrong I was.

No probs I don't forget :p

He has the skill, desire, is super confident, the internal knock early was the lack of defensive pressure, he's improved immensely in that regard. Has the footy world at his feet.

It is easily forgotten that Wood was being recognised as one of the hottest young players going round when he got hit by injury. At the same time, the injury might have helped push through the contract negotiations for us by taking attention away from him, so there might have been a silver lining in that. The most noticeable thing was that he looked assured in all parts of his game after getting a run of quality games under his belt. Could see the same happening with Daw towards the end of the season. If Wood and Daw can pick up where they left off, we will have plenty to enjoy in 2017.

When I read that Mason has only played 16 games, and the trio of BBB, Wood, and Daw haven't even clocked up 100 games between them, can understand why Waite was resigned for another year. But the games tally doesnt account for their solid apprenticeships and that they have actually played a lot of footy together. Really looking forward to the Brown Wood Daw combination in action and reckon they might surprise a few next year. And kudos to the club for organically developing a 2nd rounder, a 3rd rounder, and a rookie into our next gen forward line.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back