Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Geoffery is a quality name for a cat. rickety
He was this cute and furry little affectionate thing we got prenamed from the pound, allegedly rescued from a house with 15 or 16 other cats. Spent the 1st winter with us outside as my less than impressed exwife blamed him for each and every fault that happened in the world. He brought home countless rodents and headless rabbits to try and impress her, but in the end gave the loudest cheer of all when she drove away!

Has the physical presence of a cardboard cutout advertising pillows.

True Dat. I'm trying to work in my study and this bastard keeps trying to hand me a drink bottle!!

Xtr1g9xnnAwFXz5SaIpkCu3sVGZP6C6x2VXPjl7GfoJOIKkEkltq45UObcD9fpuY-_hdN7MO0lsJpCUZZ_bFG3-7uTUnO3TD3MLB43qjZ2qeSkKm9YZvyqr8OMqVtLwHb5OMpcyJe4JgZ55BxHrffBRQJOTuMtt8kxS8Y0MMR2m38Vm9Q4IYDrO2wPUZL5hpSXjZXuX59nufhsCdD4ZgDwruW60kgFGZ1tkcwQM9tx_569DtFsVCFn1fXfQMQrMeLePaj7xz_M9Y4elNcK71wfZjYMDCcIeevEIrnwO6rhCK0Y8qr9UxOSKYaX51lNCqn4Sa3DdegnnEBR4QF-U4jwWy9y0POZe4q1smlc58KZ1VlAAfZl7c1gROVerA7QGytc2_kqdlA-b-8xyFLswV3WbNwKN8ugaGIKz5LfF3z7MTWRZZga3LIzJAEzhm1_oowbUKy5bTVzyUjJneHPgnXs9M8655iTrgSVsXnIRLeOlG0aE8az0wia7bSFySlllTdk_xxleCvvoCxQTAGx8Cy7ztuH_ZmFoKcxUolisQy-4dHibewD0F7EaO7CXqGN2Jm9bWzuaxUKLs6L2sNtx3LmiUZgZ5708-8JqTJHqS3Y1OFXVW56WdOw=w519-h921-no

Pep Fraudiola

Team Captain
Feb 23, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
He is the biggest Cat I have ever seen wear our jumper. Runs hard to get out of the way, the only time he exerts effort is when he thinks that he might accidentally get involved in the play. I watched him closely all game.... and I'm embarrassed that our player with probably the most talent has the smallest heart. A lazy, pathetic performance. If he isn't dropped, I'm not going next week, in fact I'll not attend the game at the Gold Coast that I'm flying up for. Putrid, weak as piss, cat...

Anderson is a mega cat.
Atley is a cat.
MacMillan and Gibbo are semi cats.

Wood is literally our only match winner. And has done so twice in the last month unless I've been watching a different team.

I'm just loving the fact that he hasn't injured himself in a few months, ditto Garns.

It is a homophobic thing suggesting he's gay/soft.

I believe ... others may know better ... it originated as jail slang.

I've always thought 'cat' referred to horses. I first heard the term in the TAB.

Last edited:

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
Im just wondering if Mason is reading this thread rofl

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
By get to more places on the ground are you referring to when he runs to where the ball will definitely not go? Because he does that better than anyone I've ever seen.
Yep that's me... just kickin it at home wankin on.
I'm serious, won't be there.
Flying to Gold Coast next week, and won't go.
I will criticise Brad if he doesn't drop Mason.. fully expect him to be dropped though.
As a forward he makes our delivery infinitely worse. He ran away from hot spots with break neck speed. I actually saw him mid lead bail out and run to the bench to avoid possible contact.
Just so I am clear, he gets to the ball more than all our other forwards even though we target him less (check the stats), has a couple of shots on goal, and has played LESS GAMES than all of our other forwards. Do you think that you might be reaching a little here?

Where is the hate from? Are you a diehard petrie fan and feel like wood moved him on or something?

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Just so I am clear, he gets to the ball more than all our other forwards even though we target him less (check the stats), has a couple of shots on goal, and has played LESS GAMES than all of our other forwards. Do you think that you might be reaching a little here?

Where is the hate from? Are you a diehard petrie fan and feel like wood moved him on or something?

Mason Wood 24 games; 341 disposals , 105 marks, 27 goals, 25 behinds, 61 tackles....

Anyone picking on Mason is seriously fried.

FWIW - I use the ignore function and I have probably have underestimated its value.

Mason averages .4 of a mark less than Brown and .6 of a goal, gets on average 5 more disposals though, Benny has played three times the games.

I remember thinking during the pre season that peeps on here set the bar way to high for guy that had hardly played AFL.

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
naturally north I think some people are referring to his perceived softness not his output.

Sometimes conversations become disjointed due to ignore functions available. Wood has played 24 games and is a way off his best. Im not concerned about where he's at. The least of our problems imo.

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sometimes conversations become disjointed due to ignore functions available. Wood has played 24 games and is a way off his best. Im not concerned about where he's at. The least of our problems imo.
I don't use it so I wouldn't know, but perhaps it would be better if the ignore function was set with a time limit. Arguments with each other (talking north supporters here) are pretty fleeting things... Well you would hope they would be anyway.

rooboy29

All Australian
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not sure why were hanging s**t on mase for! How about we get some blokes that can kick the ball inside 50! Why we continue to stuff around with handballs rather then getting the ball inside 50!

I don't think he is fully match fit yet. Might not be till next year.

His tackling has dropped off in the last 2 games - none against Richmond one against St Kilda. He averaged over 3 tackles a game in the 6 games he played before that - 19 all up. That might be what some people are referring to and could be down to the bye or it could be something else.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Anyone that doesn't think Wood was a disgrace on Friday night clearly weren't there. So not only did you not see Wood run and hide, you also are responsible for the media flogs wishing us gone again.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
naturally north I think some people are referring to his perceived softness not his output.
I do get it. Two years ago he came in and put a few soft efforts in. I remember him ghosting behind a pack like you do at training (as if to say "in a game i would have crash the pack but it's training and i don't want to hurt myself"). He did the same against freo and i remember philly losing his mind then.

In saying that last year he improved. He KO'd himself running back in archer-like fashion and injured his MCL delivering a great tackle on will schofield at West Coast.

I get the apprehension. He's probably sitting there thinking "I've got all the skill but i've had a horrid run of injuring throughout my career. Should i ease off and pick my battles until i get some continuation in my game?!"

It would be a hard decision because it impacts his earnings and a career in football is a short one. The issue is you can't do that. I'm sure he knows that and I'm sure Brad and co would have tapped him on the back on Friday night and said "no more of that soft stuff. If you don't pull your finger out Phillyroo won't watch us again until we drop you"

czero

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone that doesn't think Wood was a disgrace on Friday night clearly weren't there. So not only did you not see Wood run and hide, you also are responsible for the media flogs wishing us gone again.
Was at the game, and I did not see anything apart from running patterns - and of course him not being kicked too. He is trying to create separation for Waite and Brown, who are dominating the usage rates when we go inside 50. Is it perfect, probably not. But there was almost 0 real looks/kicks inside for him to collect anyway. Ran all game.

He is prone to inconsistent disposals (he did start to work that out of his game last year), but bigger for me is that you can see the class there, the smoothness, the kicking skill, and inconsistency in disposal is something I can live with until he gets more time on the park, especially considering he is a forward that manages to find the ball in extremely adverse forward conditions when other don't.

Back