Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to judge his game with the 3-5 clear marks he took taken off him by the umpires.

9pos game turns into 14 off the back of that and possibly another 2-3 goals.

Take out the shocking umpiring and what he did today was probably described as mediocre to okay.

Pass mark.

I think moving forward he definitely benefits from no Waite competing for long entries.

Waite into Garner is an ideal scenario for 2019 onwards, Richmond walked the ball out of 50 a lot, having a Garner/Zurhaar just adds a lot more pressure on the ball carrier, makes us look far more dangerous.

Having no waite in the side is far better for his output and development. But having both in the side is probably better for team success. I think the main priority is getting games into him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was OK, could have easily had 4 goals.
Dont understand why Caddy was able to play on from the advantage and wood wasn't.

With Waite likely out of the side this week hopefully he has more influence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is his issue

Disappears every 2nd or 3rd game

Not just that. It's that when he goes missing you don't even see him, you don't notice pressure, hustle, running tackling. It's a massive weakness.

Until he plays consistently, he is overatted
Little harsh when you have 2 qtrs blowing a gale.....the crafty old fox with 3 1st qtr goals obviously attracts the footy his way then your main man in the 3rd bobs up and demanded the ball his direction.
I thought Wood's effort when it was easily not his day shows maturity, his work rate should not be underestimated. He is going alright. Conditions weren't easy today.

Little harsh when you have 2 qtrs blowing a gale.....the crafty old fox with 3 1st qtr goals obviously attracts the footy his way then your main man in the 3rd bobs up and demanded the ball his direction.
I thought Wood's effort when it was easily not his day shows maturity, his work rate should not be underestimated. He is going alright. Conditions weren't easy today.

Consistency for me is the key

Too many times I have got so excited for Mase to quickly have him disappear for 2-3 rounds after, get injured or get dropped to the VFL because he doesn’t work hard enough

Very poor first half but finished that off with a great goal.

Second half he didn't get many possessions but he was a LOT more noticeable. Saw a lot of repeat efforts by him which went without personal reward. Didn't shirk the mark at the end either, knew there would be contact and just grabbed it cleanly and then kicked truly.

Overall, yes, it was poor. But at this stage of his career I'm ok with that kind of game. He still ended up with two goals and showed more defensive efforts than he used to. More than happy for him to keep his spot next week.

Very poor first half but finished that off with a great goal.

Second half he didn't get many possessions but he was a LOT more noticeable. Saw a lot of repeat efforts by him which went without personal reward. Didn't shirk the mark at the end either, knew there would be contact and just grabbed it cleanly and then kicked truly.

Overall, yes, it was poor. But at this stage of his career I'm ok with that kind of game. He still ended up with two goals and showed more defensive efforts than he used to. More than happy for him to keep his spot next week.

Just fumbled a lot, ball didn't quite bounce his way and when he did gather was in congestion.

Just one of those days.

Despite being quiet, he still managed to impact the game, 2 x goals and 1 goal assist with the dart to Goldstein into the wind.

Not just that. It's that when he goes missing you don't even see him, you don't notice pressure, hustle, running tackling. It's a massive weakness.

He did a lot of those things today. I actually noticed him doing that stuff even tho I hadn't seen him doing much else. Thought it was an improvement. Average game but even his s**t games usually generate a couple of goals and some other good stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back