Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Missing that goal killed us. How easy does it have to be? I know we missed others but that was shocking. He needs to be dropped AGAIN.
Surely his game today is not of acceptable standard. I know he had some mates but he can't get in the game and when he does he effs it up royally
Lol. Are you an opposition poster? Good game by Mason today. Unfortunately, we blew it in front of goal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

673627.jpg

673625.jpg
673624.jpg
673626.jpg

MOTY.

Not his fault we lost as the gameplan is absolutely ****** beyond repair but he is the definition of momentum killer

It's the system mate. It's killing several blokes, not just him.

One of those players where the entire board should have to sign off before the next contract extension.

Can just see him playing three or four Careyesque games right before signing some long-term paperwork.

And then reverting to Aaron Black 3.0 form. For the last 18 months he has been in Aaron Black 2.0 form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 5 mins left in 3rd we were within 10 pts after an amazing run of 4 quick goals. Another centre clearance and kick forward - poor effort by Mason against Harry T and out marked. Shortly after Mason spills overhead mark with ball coming out of defence. Next involvement has him giving away free at our forward 50 as he flopped in another one on one. 3 momentum sapping involvements with cats kicking 3 in 3 mins to effectively kill off game. I really want this guy to succeed but that sort of stuff is just so frustrating.

With 5 mins left in 3rd we were within 10 pts after an amazing run of 4 quick goals. Another centre clearance and kick forward - poor effort by Mason against Harry T and out marked. Shortly after Mason spills overhead mark with ball coming out of defence. Next involvement has him giving away free at our forward 50 as he flopped in another one on one. 3 momentum sapping involvements with cats kicking 3 in 3 mins to effectively kill off game. I really want this guy to succeed but that sort of stuff is just so frustrating.

Not trying to excuse those efforts, but the two Hawkins goals were assisted by poor umpiring following Mason's involvement. First, they failed to pay a clear HTM to Tarryn in the centre which led to the Geelong attack that ended with Hawkins. Second, they paid him the mark after Durdin touched it.

And then the Kelly goal was our crap system resulting in us not locking up the ball in the last 20 seconds of the quarter.

The game was then over at 3/4 time.

Mason is not the reason we lost. As other posters have said it is our system that has our players not knowing what the **** is going on out there.
They are not being coached to employ any semblance of an effective game plan, not being allowed to play to theirs strengths and stuck in a cycle of mediocrity instilled through an inept coach.

Mason is symptomatic of a coaching structure that needs to be flushed out now.
I genuinely believe he is building nicely. Getting more confidence in his body. Probably the longest he's been injury free for a long time.
Definitely he's a confidence player and he's making mistakes still, however he's doing a lot of things right.

A rare talent. We just need to ride out the side's inadequacies and hope he's fit and firing if/when things ever look up.
I get what you're saying, but this implies he's an unfulfilled talent due to others around him. I reckon you could reword your post to read something like:

A rare talent. We just need to iron out his inadequacies and also hope he's fit and firing if we're ever going to look up.

I get what you're saying, but this implies he's an unfulfilled talent due to others around him. I reckon you could reword your post to read something like:

A rare talent. We just need to iron out his inadequacies and also hope he's fit and firing if we're ever going to look up.

Can understand how you interpreted it like that, I was referring more to wanting Mason cocked and in position if or when the side as a unit ever seriously contends.

Ie - it was more about writing off the present in terms of on-field results as largely irrelevant and just hoping he gets continuity and is ready to perform when we need him to.

Can understand how you interpreted it like that, I was referring more to wanting Mason cocked and in position if or when the side as a unit ever seriously contends.

Ie - it was more about writing off the present in terms of on-field results as largely irrelevant and just hoping he gets continuity and is ready to perform when we need him to.
Fair enough. I'd like to think that it's the likes of him that have lead to mediocre on-field results so far. You seem to have more faith in his 'rare talent' being realised than I do.

Fair enough. I'd like to think that it's the likes of him that have lead to mediocre on-field results so far. You seem to have more faith in his 'rare talent' being realised than I do.

It's a recognition of his inherent talent. His shortcomings in games are well recognised but getting access to 190cm+ players with size, natural marking and kicking talent, flair and the ability run a 14-15 beep is restricted.

In short his collective assets as a commodity are hard to find so perhaps unfairly I give him a little extra leeway.

The old Denis Pagan rule of looking the other way if a player would be in your best 5-10 comes into play I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back