Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

You aren't teaching this old dog any new tricks.

He is an areobic beast who is a nice mark and kick - but he is scared of his own shadow and this is the major reason he hasn't and wont have a successful AFL career.

Shawry can go on all he likes about ...he played his role...blah blah blah...but his selection has not been justified and there is no future for him if we want to be a successful side.

Last edited:
He provides forward pressure and forwards half defence, and he didn't play a bad game necessarily, whatever role he's given Shaw seems happy with.

However, forwards need to score. It's the exact same problem we've always had, our main spearhead forwards give us what we need, but who's there to really help at ground level?

Also needs to stick his tackles better.

If this is the best he has to offer at 26 going 27 then I hope he planning for a career after football in the short-term. I am not saying defensive efforts aren't important, but if you are offensively impotent as a forward then the clock is ticking. He has had opportunities to get on the scoreboard, he has to take them.

He has the attributes, he has the skills, he is just waiting for it to happen. That Sydney final he played after Brown missed where he kicked the bag should have been a catalyst, but his effort is just too inconsistent and he doesn't show enough mongrel or hunger.

Saying it every week he's a 3rd tall that's it. He is not chf or ff. Xerri needs to come in. Once brown goes up the ground we have nothing fwd. They were kicking to taylor every time. Xerri needs to be in the take that mark around the ground and brown stay fwd its clear

I thought he battled hard again, and he's playing a thankless role, but Rhyce HAS to look at getting another tall on the park.

McEvoy will pick us off like apples if he doesn't.

Should we give Xerri a run? Not sure if we have many options for talls.

I suppose so mate.

Rhyce cannot flirt with the side against Clarkson, or he will get gutted.

However, I would be dropping Tarryn ahead of Mason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was okay in the first half and battled hard on a day when our forwards didn't exactly get the best of service from the midfield. He definitely wasn't our worst forward today.

Someone who can also give Goldy a chop out.

Not sure that's needed, Goldie's having a purple patch of games. But at stoppages, it wouldn't hurt.

However, I would be dropping Tarryn ahead of Mason.

Tarryn could do more, but either way I think the club's backing him in as much as possible. It's not like he lacks the confidence or skill, he's just gotta adapt, so I can't see Shaw dropping him anytime soon unless he continues this form onwards.

Tarryn could do more, but either way I think the club's backing him in as much as possible. It's not like he lacks the confidence or skill, he's just gotta adapt, so I can't see Shaw dropping him anytime soon unless he continues this form onwards.

Yeah, * that. I'd prefer it if they focused on the 4 premiership points. Didn't Rhyce claim that blokes get picked on form now at North?

On form, Tarryn gets dropped ahead of Mason.

Not sure that's needed, Goldie's having a purple patch of games. But at stoppages, it wouldn't hurt.

Tarryn had zero possessions to half time. He has been poor this year. He is in very droppable form.

You aren't teaching this dog any new tricks.

He is an areobic beast who is a nice mark and kick - but he is scared of his own shadow and this is the major reason he hasn't and wont have a successful AFL career.

Shawry can go on all he likes about ...he played his role...blah blah blah...but his selection has not been justified and there is no future for him if we want to be a successful side.
Unfortuntely Mason is totally a confidence player. If he does well early in a game ie kicks the goal, his confidence is up. As soon as something doesn't go his way he drops his head. In addition to that, sometimes he just runs around like a chook with its head cut off and miles aways from his opponent. I would really love him to reach the potential he obviously has but sadly I don't think this is going to be the case.

Unfortuntely Mason is totally a confidence player. If he does well early in a game ie kicks the goal, his confidence is up. As soon as something doesn't go his way he drops his head. In addition to that, sometimes he just runs around like a chook with its head cut off and miles aways from his opponent. I would really love him to reach the potential he obviously has but sadly I don't think this is going to be the case.
He is a bit similar to Aaron Black in that way. My memory of Aaron Black is him starting games well with 3 or 4 Q1 possessions including a set shot on goal. He then proceeds to shank the shot on goal and go completely into his shell finishing the game with 6 touches.

Just don't know what to think about Mason. Seemed to be having a crack today and a few nice touches. I just don't think he is up to the standard. I have grossly over estimated his ability. he is a great example of how much expectation can disappoint.

Just don't know what to think about Mason. Seemed to be having a crack today and a few nice touches. I just don't think he is up to the standard. I have grossly over estimated his ability. he is a great example of how much expectation can disappoint.

He can't be number 2 and takes a strong defender needs to be number 3 but then can't have him ziebell and Taylor

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back