Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Plays a high half forward anyway, it's not as if he sits in the goal square every week. Gets plenty of opportunity to display his running game

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Exactly.

Playing that role he should be clocking up midfield numbers anyway.

There has been whispers for a while that he doesn’t play to a structure sometimes.

Mason would prefer to play as a deeper forward. I spoke to him years ago at a Werribee game where he spoke about being frustrated about the lack of opportunities as a genuine FF.

iSmack

Team Captain
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looks great
Jumps high
Big muscles.

But looks burdened and confused on field.

Sounds like Majak Daw before someone thought to themselves, let's simplify things for him and play him to his strengths...so we.moved him down back and what a revelation.....

I suspect Wood is the same.....don't trade....

Play him to his strength...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I think in space he looks great but that doesn't happen often in the modern game.

Also something is up with his kicking action. Tends to drop it close and kick up.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A respectable trade outcome will be a win.

No trade and he stays will be a win.

The worst possible outcome would be a trade for a pick which is burned by selecting a player of less talent or potential or for a player who ends up being a part time backfill.

I can almost visualise starting out at the trade table with Sydney, with north making an offer for Papley, but landing Jones instead (Jones might be OK but as steak knives in a bundle where we hold the upper hand).

Exactly how I feel. I have no issue with Mason in the team at all, our forward line is the least of our problems at the moment. My argument has always been that we don't necessarily need Mason, Ziebell, Zurhaar, Garner and at times Thomas up forward. At least one is potentially surplus long term because that is a lot of medium / 3rd tall types. If we can get value for one of them now and it suits both the club and the player - great. If not more than happy to hold him, he's not the reason we are losing games and he is often enough the reason we win them.

This whole forward line thing is a side show to the real deal - we need to change the mix in our midfield area (and I don't just mean the 4 at the drop of the ball). That's where some hard decisions need to be made to move players out for balance reasons that are perfectly capable of playing good football. Again though, we don't just throw them away. There needs to be value for us.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The worst possible outcome would be a trade for a pick which is burned by selecting a player of less talent or potential or for a player who ends up being a part time backfill.

I can almost visualise starting out at the trade table with Sydney, with north making an offer for Papley, but landing Jones instead (Jones might be OK but as steak knives in a bundle where we hold the upper hand).
But I like steak knives. Especially when they cut up their former team.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Compare how our forward line functioned without him against a good side and with him against a crap side.

You were saying?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to post something about this being a long bow, but then KC kindly blew it out of the water.

We've established KC is in love with Mason and wishes they were together and spent Saturday mornings together looking for a little fixer upper in Seddon ... its basically Yarraville! ... so his opinion can be discounted.

*NTTIAWWTKOT

We've established KC is in love with Mason and wishes they were together and spent Saturday mornings together looking for a little fixer upper in Seddon ... its basically Yarraville! ... so his opinion can be discounted.

*NTTIAWWTKOT

You've provided compelling grounds for discounting any of KC's opinions regarding Mase. It's true love.

On the other hand, the hard facts that he quoted are a little more difficult to ignore.

You've provided compelling grounds for discounting any of KC's opinions regarding Mase. It's true love.

On the other hand, the hard facts that he quoted are a little more difficult to ignore.

The Richmond and Collingwood wins were done on the back of manic pressure.

We would have won by more had Mason not been playing.

Anyway, reality is SHAW and RAWLINGS are on my side.

On the Keep Mason side is ...

The Richmond and Collingwood wins were done on the back of manic pressure.

We would have won by more had Mason not been playing.

Anyway, reality is SHAW and RAWLINGS are on my side.

On the Keep Mason side is ...

I like Mason, but I think this is one of the very few cases in recent years where we have a player whose market value is higher than his internal value. SELL!

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wood would be twice as good as Macmillan if he was allowed to float around on his own and avoid contact like Jamie.

Chuck in the occasional point, shank, sidestep contests and turnover.

I can't believe we are going to trade him without seeing him on a wing or at half back.

Pathetic North. No wonder we have been s**t for 20 years.
Part of me wants to like this post but my head says if Shawy has decided not to intervene, then that tells me he doesn't like his attitude. Thus giving his stamp of approval on the subject.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back