Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully this works for Mase.

I think it's a great move.

It's not his skill set, his workrate, athleticism etc that's the problem.

He just doesn't get the right spots consistently enough and doesn't get enough of the ball.

Following an opponent in and not behing manned up and recieving a a lot more loose ball could literally unlock him as a player.

He's a terrific field kick and a great size for a half back.

Interesting Move, with the exception of Jmac our defensive unit is full of hard nuts, Wood doesn't really fit the bill, but worth a crack i think.

Strength over the ball is a query.

He has the rest of the traits to play defence.
He goes okay when he chooses to go. It's the mental application, not the strength per se, that's the issue imo.

Simplifying things in defence might work for him, where defensive application becomes his job, not the option he might have seen it as.

He goes okay when he chooses to go.

I'm not referring to courage.

Strong over the ball as in his ability to hold body position in fairly stationary contest.

I'm not referring to courage.

Strong over the ball as in his ability to hold body position in fairly stationary contest.
I know. And I'm saying I think it seems this way when his commitment to go is "iffy." (Not about 'courage.') When he chooses to go, he looks strong enough.

But you may be talking about marking contests? I'm referring to contested ground ball scenarios.

Last edited:
I know. And I'm saying I think it seems this way when his commitment to go is "iffy." (Not even courage.) When he chooses to go, he looks strong enough.

But you may be talking about marking contests? I'm referring to contested ground ball scenarios.

He has a new opportunity under Shaw.

He needs to and should go harder. No argument from me.

What annoys me it seems to apply to some and not others?

Higgins and especially Polec are as soft as. In fact Polec is completely pathetic at times. (Higgins i like, don't get me wrong)

But that is ok as midfielders. (apparently)

Yes silky etc but why does Wood cop so much heat?

Yes he is bigger but bloody hell, he can't get cheap touches in his role unlike others.

He has a new opportunity under Shaw.

He needs to and should go harder. No argument from me.

What annoys me it seems to apply to some and not others?

Higgins and especially Polec are as soft as. In fact Polec is completely pathetic at times. (Higgins i like, don't get me wrong)

But that is ok as midfielders. (apparently)

Yes silky etc but why does Wood cop so much heat?

Yes he is bigger but bloody hell, he can't get cheap touches in his role unlike others.
make all the comparisons between wood and polec you like, heres another,

wood goes missing for massive patches in a game, polec seldom has touchless quarters.

wood goes missing for massive patches in a game, polec seldom has touchless quarters.

Surely you can understand the differences in their roles and how that impacts stats?

He's a terrific field kick and a great size for a half back.
Is he though? He certainly has a nice looking kick, but my impression is that he routinely butchers the ball when he has time and space, particularly on the run. Would love to see disposal efficiency stats and clangers, as I reckon he'd be up there in the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A key fwd (at times decoy) should be getting possie numbers like a chip scab that Polec is.

Amazing but insightful.

Is he though? He certainly has a nice looking kick, but my impression is that he routinely butchers the ball when he has time and space, particularly on the run. Would love to see disposal efficiency stats and clangers, as I reckon he'd be up there in the latter.

He's more than adequate relative to our list.

Much needed move, he was making zero impact as a forward lately.
That’s due to Brown being the go to
Wood gets in good spots but the instinct is to always go long to brown

We should have hit up wood more often to be less predictable, can’t fault him tbh

We should have hit up wood more often to be less predictable, can’t fault him tbh

When he plays proper full forward he can get to good spots but for half the season he was playing up the ground and on the wing at half forward into near full forward, and only presented as an option in the pocket. Wasn't really his fault, that's just where he got put.

At least as a backman he can be used properly, the forward line is just too crowded atm, although Rhyce should swing him forward if we're struggling to make things happen with Brown in games next season.

Nah Brown didn’t ruin Masons Season.
Masons a cat, he avoids contact. You can’t get away with that in the forward line.
at least in the backline he’ll be able to dish it out. If he cant do it then it’ll be byebye.

The ball is absolutely in Mason’s court right now. He’s got a full year to prove that he’s up to the task. We all know that his best is definitely good enough. However, consistent performances seem to elude him. New coach, new era - let’s see...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back