Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

How about MacMillan?

Been useless for near a decade.

The hypocrisy on our players and expectations annoy me.

I think BBB, Mason has 10x's MacMillan's ability and I can understand why peeps around here are frustrated with Wood's output. I know the club is. One minute he'll have you gasp and the next shaking ya head.

I really hope our new coaches can close the gap on his good, bad and ugly.

Reckon he thinks we lack creativity off half back.

We're pretty s**t off the rebound, we do well when it gets full forward eventually but the transition and two way running are pretty bad. We get caught with our pants down at both ends when the game isn't locked down to a stoppage game.

Which...we're also not the best at, we don't tend to win stoppages often.

Hopefully this works for Mase.

Hear hear, my wish has been answer. I have been saying Mason as a rangey backman for the last 6 months. Yes, god has answered me. I also predicted Majak Daw to defense, i even emailed the club and got told to get stuffed. As emperor palpatine would say, everything is proceeding as i have foreseen.

Mcmillan has past his use by date, phase him out. Mcmillan was a more than adequate brad scott era (2010s) as the requirement for half back flanker was just that, half back flankers. Traditional half back flankers had bounty hunter like qualities. Now, with the success of hawthorn, half back flankers need to become the generals, the quarter backs and basically the best disposal and decision makers.

I think it's a great move.

It's not his skill set, his workrate, athleticism etc that's the problem.

He just doesn't get the right spots consistently enough and doesn't get enough of the ball.

Following an opponent in and not behing manned up and recieving a a lot more loose ball could literally unlock him as a player.

He's a terrific field kick and a great size for a half back.

100% worked for Majak and Tarrant

Like the move because he can use it very well in open space with options in front of him. He is also not bad at all when he chooses to go into a contest and has pretty strong hands. Adding that defender's mindset should not only add that backmen aspect but maybe even see where he can exploit his opponent when he could potentially go forward (with that backline knowledge) if we lose a forward and have a good enough backline to allow him to roam on the other side.

Adding versatility has worked in previous premiership sides like Hawthorn, Geelong etc and I don't see why it would be wrong for us to try it. He seems to be doing alright from what I've read so far in the training thread.

Creating a list of flexible players extends the potential of trying different game plans against different sides. Something we had some severe issues with in the first half of 2019 and when we were in a mini-rebuildish period. Would probably throw in our finals years as well because in those PFs, on both occasions, our inability to adjust hurt our chances of winning.

Tarrant and Daw can potentially help Wood with his defensive skills.

Hear hear, my wish has been answer. I have been saying Mason as a rangey backman for the last 6 months. Yes, god has answered me. I also predicted Majak Daw to defense, i even emailed the club and got told to get stuffed. As emperor palpatine would say, everything is proceeding as i have foreseen.
New crappy movies notwithstanding, that didnt work out super well for palpetine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading between the lines...

Shaw played Ahern off half back and now he’s giving Mason a go at it.

Reckon he thinks we lack creativity off half back.
We lockdown and intercept as well as most clubs (generally speaking), but our rebound from deep defence often consists of either kicking into the middle with cunners standing next to two blokes or kicking the down the line.

Ahern's kicking style and efficiency is very much needed and Mason provides something a bit different to the equation. Adding Daw into the equation also gives us our backline rebound and Pittard being encouraged to take the man on more adds a bit more impetus for our defensive rebounding.

Shaw will get the best out of rebounders, I have zero doubts about that.

giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back