Past Nicholas Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

I think its speed pure and simple. Just doesn't have the leg speed to get to the right spots offensively or defensively. Treading water why the game goes on around him.

Shame, seems a hard worker with a good attitude.

Poor old Nick Graham. I really like him and think he has a bit to offer, but he seems to have fallen out of favour with the club and fans.
Really started to show some improvement in the back end of last year. In his 5 FULL games, he averaged 19.8 touches, splitting pretty evenly between contested and uncontested and averaged 5 clearances, 5.2 tackles and just over 4 i50's a game playing as an inside mid.
This year, whilst he played more games, he seemed to be used more as an outside mid, which I'm sure all of us agree he isn't suited to, with time resting forward. He averaged 18.3 touches (only a small step backwards), but most interestingly he split those disposals about 66/33% uncontested/contested and only averaged 1.75 clearances (only one game of 5+). His tackling was still good at 4.9 per game, but i50's also dropped to 2.5 average.
His best game for the year seemed to be as an inside mid.
22 touches, 10 contested, 6 clearances, 10 tackles, 4 i50's.

I'd really like to see him played at the coal face next to Cripps and Curnow, allowing Murph and Gibbs to play more outside using their speed and elite kicking to deliver inside 50 and allowing somebody like Kerridge to move to a forward flank where his poor disposal won't hurt as much, he can hit the scoreboard like he did at Adelaide, and use his running to drag his opponent up the ground and tire them.

That's if he stays on the list. The signs aren't good, but I think it would be a shame.

He has definitely been under-developed and under-utilised in his time at Carlton.

Unappreciated by the majority of coaches who have seagulled through the club and now looks to be out the door.

At least he can say he got to play for Carlton!

I think its speed pure and simple. Just doesn't have the leg speed to get to the right spots offensively or defensively. Treading water why the game goes on around him.

Shame, seems a hard worker with a good attitude.
Not just the speed, although that is a killer. Also strength. Watching him pay the Bulldogs last year brought that out: every contest he was out-bodied. If he could have developed Ratten's physique from when he played, he could well have made it: Ratten had the strength at the contest and the ability to body most of his direct competitors. He has 90+ kg when very few other mids were close to it, and it helped him no end at the clearances. After all Brett Ratten was never quick, except between the ears.

Graham just lacks a bit of pace and in a slow team that's not great. Good skills but unfortunately is limited to being a midfielder only as he has failed to impact up forward. I don't think it's a lack of development of opportunity, he just is what he is, a good honest centerman. Probably could be a good tagger but Curnow gets that role. Guys like Cripps and Gibbs are the main targets at stoppages meaning he needs to be able to get on the outside and really run and that's just not his go. In the VFL he's the main target and things happen a little slower and he dominates. He's not a bad player, just a little slow and limited as to where he can play on the field. Really needs to get his outside game going so he can impact in open play.

This guy deserves a review.

19 disposals (5 contested, 79% efficiency), 10 marks (1st on team, quite nice), 5 tackles, 6 score involvements (4th on team, very nice), 15 pressure acts (6th on team, nice) and a goal.

Has put in two solid games in a row. Keep cracking in, get those contested possessions up and he might find himself in the team for a little while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy, while clearly having some physical limitations, clearly has genuine footy ability and sometimes even belies his size and speed to bring down bigger and faster afl opponents in crunching tackles

Would love him to make it, he lacks nothing in application and skill and is always a level above in the VFL

Another good game. Keeps finding the ball and good tackle numbers. He is not a passenger. Hope he can keep improving and become a lockdown forward /midfielder for us this season. Must help our rotations with him in the team.

It looks like they've trained him in to an AFL footballer. Although he dominated at VFL level he always looked like a plodder at AFL level. Watched him closely on Saturday and noticed that he now has the tank to run, and I mean run all day. As soon as we get the ball he sprints to space and provides an option, which the team is now happy to use with our short kicking/hit up a target game. He realises he is not quick, but is constantly on the move. Is also much more aggressive without the ball which I am liking a lot.

Really happy for him..he works hard.

The guy, while clearly having some physical limitations, clearly has genuine footy ability and sometimes even belies his size and speed to bring down bigger and faster afl opponents in crunching tackles

Would love him to make it, he lacks nothing in application and skill and is always a level above in the VFL

Dominates at VFL level, but just a step below at the next tier.

He's been really good the last couple of weeks. Needs to stay in the side for continuity. Problem is he's always one bad game away from being dropped.

If I was Bolton I would be tempted to say you're in the side for the next month. Show us what you got.

i've been impressed over the last two weeks. In comparison to some games last year, he's look composed and quicker to dispose, and he has a very neat and accurate kick. He's worked hard and he's been coached well. Keep at it Nicky G.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back