Delisted #32: Noah Gown - Not offered a contract for 2021

3 weeks until he can start on the Alter-G..

2018 draftees Irving Mosquito (hamstring) and Noah Gown (foot stress fracture) went under the knife recently after succumbing to season-ending injuries.

Mosquito will spend the next three months in rehab, while Gown will commence running on an Alter-G treadmill in three weeks and is expected to start pre-season as normal.

How is he tracking?

Will he be able to play in the seniors in 1-2 years time?
Doubt it but he's shown a lot for a teenager this year. Needs to get more involved though, only averaged 9 disposals this year. Hopefully a 11-12 touch a game, 30 goal year next year (probably a tad unrealistic though)

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Really not sure what to make of Noah's year. On one hand he was great for a first year key position forward but on the other not only did he kick most of his goals in very few games but he averaged the 9 possessions a game.

I like his aggression at the contest and the man, his ability to throw himself into the contest is a big factor going for him but people continue to tell me Noah isn't a KPF. I don't mind him playing a Taylor Walker style FF role.

If he could kick 30 goals as eth-dog suggested, that would be a big win for both us, and him and set himself up for a genuine crack at a debut in 2020/21.

I think with talls it’s hard to say at such an early stage of their careers. So much of the role they’re required to play depends on strength and physicality, which takes a few years to develop.

Attitude is probably the hardest thing to develop and his aggression as a first year player playing against mature bodies is probably the biggest positive for mine. A few preseasons in the gym turns that into a really combative, bullocking key forward who doesn’t mind crashing packs and hurting blokes.

Contested marking and disposal counts should improve as his strength and fitness build up, he’ll be able to hold his own in more one on one contests and better fitness should see him get to more contests and get more of the ball.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I think with talls it’s hard to say at such an early stage of their careers. So much of the role they’re required to play depends on strength and physicality, which takes a few years to develop.

Attitude is probably the hardest thing to develop and his aggression as a first year player playing against mature bodies is probably the biggest positive for mine. A few preseasons in the gym turns that into a really combative, bullocking key forward who doesn’t mind crashing packs and hurting blokes.

Contested marking and disposal counts should improve as his strength and fitness build up, he’ll be able to hold his own in more one on one contests and better fitness should see him get to more contests and get more of the ball.

I agree with everything you say, however, people keep telling me that Noah will be a third/roaming fwd. I don't see it. I see what you see to be honest.

I agree with everything you say, however, people keep telling me that Noah will be a third/roaming fwd. I don't see it. I see what you see to be honest.
I am that person and I stand by it. Will also add, no shame in forging a career out of being a lead-up forward.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

For mine the player he reminds me most of is Kennedy. JK has a career average of 11 touches and didn’t average more than a goal a game until his fourth year. This s**t takes time and we need to actually let a key forward develop instead of throwing them away because they aren’t Matthew Lloyd in their first year.

I think he's got good hands and is a very good shot for goal. Not bad athleticism but not great. Hope to see him play more of a CHF role next year, was a bit hamstrung with the lack of tall targets in the VFL.

Player type comparisons aren't player comparisons though, go look at Nightmares draft thread and he'll have plays like xxx for each draftee.

No one is saying he'll become JJK or Tex.
I swear that sometimes people make claims of similarities between players solely based on how they physically look.

Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I swear that sometimes people make claims of similarities between players solely based on how they physically look.
That would happen a bit, sometimes that's enough to trigger a comparison.

I think he reminds me of Tex because he looks like a heavy runner cause of his build, has strong hands and isn't fleet of foot, more workmanlike.

But as i said i haven't seen enough yet to really class him yet. Would be a huge plus to our list going forward if he's another Dodoro late hit.

I think he's tracking well for a first year key forward. The dream scenario, for where he's currently at, next year would be him averaging 12 disposals, 5-6 marks, 3 tackles (where he's at) and kicking 30 goals in the VFL. A pass mark would be 10/4-5/3/23 for me.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Player type comparisons aren't player comparisons though, go look at Nightmares draft thread and he'll have plays like xxx for each draftee.

No one is saying he'll become JJK or Tex.
I get that, but of the 600 odd players in the AFL why is it the best 30 or so that the draftees are always compared to?
Surely if we are to make a comparison, it can be a balance of both player type and potential output without the pressure of playing like an out and out gun.
Langford still hasn't lived down saying he wanted to model his game on Fyfe.

For example of what I have seen of Noah, I would say if all things go well, there is a bit of Jay Schulz about him.
Not a monster in size, nor supremely athletic but he is a trusty set shot, a rough 6'4" and plays predominately on the lead and can mark well out in front. Schulz was never a world beater, but was good for 35-40 goals a year in his prime and worked best as a 2nd forward (with the outlier 66 in Ports prelim run).

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Is he like a less classy Tex Walker type? Haven't seen enough of him yet.

He's not really lead mark player.

He's more of a contested making player and does his best work in close.

Dont see him as Tex.

Hard one for a comparison. Maybe Josh Bruce for style similarity, physical profile, etc.

You'd be hoping he gets a whole lot fitter in the next 6 months. Could end up a different player.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I get that, but in the 600 odd players in the AFL why is it the best 30 or so that the draftees are always compared to?
Surely if we are to make a comparison, it can be a balance of both player type and potential output withoutnthe pressure of playing like am out and out gun.

For example of what I have seen of Noah, I would say if all things go well, there is a bit of Jay Schulz about him.
Not a monster in size, nor supremely athletic but he is a trusty set shot, a rough 6'4" and plays predominately on the lead and can mark well out in front. Schulz was never a world beater, but was good for 35-40 goals a year in his prime and worked best as a 2nd forward (with the outlier 66 in Ports prelim run).

Agree with this.

Comparisons are generally horrendous.

I get that, but of the 600 odd players in the AFL why is it the best 30 or so that the draftees are always compared to?
Surely if we are to make a comparison, it can be a balance of both player type and potential output without the pressure of playing like an out and out gun.

Because nobody wants to hear that their latest draftee plays like some guy that you've never heard of who got delisted from Fremantle after playing two games.

It's also a bit of the marketing bullshit that gets laid on thick during the offseason. No matter how badly you did during the season, people will happily give clicks to articles telling them that the kid their team draft with pick 78 plays like a Coleman winning gun KPF or whatever.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Because nobody wants to hear that their latest draftee plays like some guy that you've never heard of who got delisted from Fremantle after playing two games.

It's also a bit of the marketing bullshit that gets laid on thick during the offseason. No matter how badly you did during the season, people will happily give clicks to articles telling them that the kid their team draft with pick 78 plays like a Coleman winning gun KPF or whatever.
From one extreme to the next.
Seriously, if the only two options for a feasible comparison are absolute washout or star of the competition then these experts aren't earning their pay.

There are plenty of acceptably solid footballers playing that I would have no issue drafting.

If with one of our picks in the 30s, we picked someone and the wraps on this kid was he was likely to be a 150+ game solid midfielder in the Jack Steele, Liam Shiels, Cam Guthrie or Jack Redden, I would be stoked.

If it turned out that with pick 60 odd last year we picked up a guy who was a chance to turn into a solid 35 goal a year 2nd KPF, I would be more than happy.

The dichotomy between the what potential players may become is ridiculous, and these so called experts can surely come up with some more realis tfic comparisons.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
From one extreme to the next.
Seriously, if the only two options for a feasible comparison are absolute washout or star of the competition then these experts aren't earning their pay.

There are plenty of acceptably solid footballers playing that I would have no issue drafting.

If with one of our picks in the 30s, we picked someone and the wraps on this kid was he was likely to be a 150+ game solid midfielder in the Jack Steele, Liam Shiels, Cam Guthrie or Jack Redden, I would be stoked.

If it turned out that with pick 60 odd last year we picked up a guy who was a chance to turn into a solid 35 goal a year 2nd KPF, I would be more than happy.

The dichotomy between the what potential players may become is ridiculous, and these so called experts can surely come up with some more realis tfic comparisons.

It’s also about picking players that people actually recognise.

Saying someone plays like Lance Franklin, Nat Fyfe, Patrick Dangerfield or Nic Natanui is a pretty easy thing for people to visualise.

Saying they play like Kyle Langford, Jamie Cripps, or Rupert Wills is a bit harder.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
When making the comparisons I look at play style, build and bio-mechanisms (running gait, how they position for contact/marking attempts).

Comparing him to Kennedy isn't insinuating his quality. He's built similarly, with narrow waist and wide shoulders, strong core but long limbs. A good contested mark but not an aerialist. Has shown his best inside 60, leads directly at the ball carrier with short sharp leads and has an accurate set shot. Schultz is good comparison too, I think he's similar to Kennedy in a lot of ways. Where I see the difference is the aerial game, which is what I think of most for Schultz. Schultz had a natural inclination to take the back position for jumping on shoulders, where I don't see that in Noah's game at present. Seems to always try to play from the front.

Last edited:
Back