Delisted #32: Noah Gown - Not offered a contract for 2021

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Looks a natural forward from the highlights. Reminds me of Sam Weideman. A little more developed body wise when he was first drafted and a tad smaller.

Looks like he knows how to protect the drop of the footy. A long term project which seems the way with most of our picks this year.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
surprise for mine
athletic profile concerned me however good luck young fella.
will be interesting to see how he performs compared to riley grundy

In all seriousness are there many slow 194cm KPF guns in the league?

Still, I don't want to bog this down with negativity based on reading about two of his characteristics.
Brodie Mihocek isn't the most athletically gifted player and averaged nearly 2 goals a game

Still, I don't want to bog this down with negativity based on reading about two of his characteristics.
I am more optimistic but probs better to not get our hopes up I think. Sound like he came home with a wet sail and can take a good grab. From memory, the early knock on Hurley was his speed..

Top speed needs work.

How many KPF have to run at top speed? He's got good acceleration which is more important on the lead

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Top speed needs work.

How many KPF have to run at top speed? He's got good acceleration which is more important on the lead

As long as his acceleration over 10-20m is good then he’ll be able to get some separation on the lead.

Tank will come with time in the system, even if he’ll never be a Nick Reiwoldt style player, very few players struggle to run out games well enough after a couple of years.

If he’s got the footy nous then there’s a solid chance for a reasonably late pick which is all you can ask.

He's 194 but he's got hops.

Reminds me of J. Kennedy. Looking at his score involvements he must have good forward play IQ.
Holy cow, Josh Kennedy is one of the most athletic and agile key forwards in the game, can turn on a dime and was a pick 5 that was universally rated. Gown is a relative nobody taken in the fourth round.

I can't really see anything to be negative about. He's the one I'm most excited about.

He's a big boy that can clunk, is a pretty good set shot for goal and while he's not out and out quick he looks relatively nimble and light on his feet. Pair that with a nifty rude boy haircut and the fact that we are now playing in a 6/6/6 league and to me he strikes me as the exact kind of type you'd invest a couple of years as a project forward.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
As long as his acceleration over 10-20m is good then he’ll be able to get some separation on the lead.

Tank will come with time in the system, even if he’ll never be a Nick Reiwoldt style player, very few players struggle to run out games well enough after a couple of years.

If he’s got the footy nous then there’s a solid chance for a reasonably late pick which is all you can ask.
As an aside - While i understand people use the expression 'riewoldt like/style' to signify an elite tank for the position, it really is hard on the younger guys. No player has ever had a tank like Riewoldt at his position.

Riewoldt is the most aerobically gifted Key position player ever. Period. He might well have a primary stake in the conversation regardless of position. Its tough to then say he isnt riewoldt style - no one really is.

But to your main point i agree. He reportedly has a good leap and agility - all signs his burst off the mark can be developed into what is required as it shows he has power as opposed to pure speed; which is probably more important for a key forward.
As long as he is standard in endurance he may well make it.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
As an aside - While i understand people use the expression 'riewoldt like/style' to signify an elite tank for the position, it really is hard on the younger guys. No player has ever had a tank like Riewoldt at his position.

Riewoldt is the most aerobically gifted Key position player ever. Period. He might well have a primary stake in the conversation regardless of position. Its tough to then say he isnt riewoldt style - no one really is.

But to your main point i agree. He reportedly has a good leap and agility - all signs his burst off the mark can be developed into what is required as it shows he has power as opposed to pure speed; which is probably more important for a key forward.
As long as he is standard in endurance he may well make it.

I was meaning in the sense the Reiwoldt was largely a roaming CHF type moreso than a stay at home FF kind of player. Reiwoldt was a combination of an aerobic freak with a massive work ethic to get the most out of himself, I’m not sure too many will KPPs will be his equal, but he’s the most well known modern era player of that type so I guess we all use him as a comparison.

Someone like Charlie Curnow is more akin to a Riewoldt in playstyle I’d say, whilst Daniher is like a Franklin who is similar-but-different to Reiwoldt even though they all have big tanks and good work rates.

Gown sounds like a more traditional stay at home KPF from the write-ups.

Back