Player Watch #32: Noah Gown - Surgery on his foot - 20/8 - 3 weeks until he can run in the Alter-G - 10/9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm finding it hard to get over the bit about him turning down the chance to go the US on basketball scholarship. That could have been an amazing life experience.
Wonder what sort of offer it was . Got a few mates who've gone the collegiate sport rout. It sounds like awesome fun but depending on what your offer is it can still be extremely expensive .

Vander18

Club Legend
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
He was pretty good - played for Vic country so he’s no hack.

College scholarships to the US run across a huge spectrum. You have Jack White playing at Duke ....great basketball program, great academics, an amazing life opportunity. Plenty of other Aussies are playing at North-West Bumfu** State and getting neither good academics or basketball development/exposure.

There is footage of Gown playing in a touring team to the States against the youngest Ball brother - he could definitely hoop, but turning his back on the offer suggests it was more Bumfu** State than Duke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Red Black and Blue

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Having seen him live I’m bullish on him. Natural defensive instincts, had a run down tackle and an intercept mark inside 50. Kicked another from the ruck in the goal square.

He also got dragged into the stoppage a few times including one where he gathered cleanly off the deck, before selling a handball, sidestepping a tackler and hitting a target on the exit, clearly confident in close from his basketball background.

fanuch

Team Captain
Aug 6, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Having seen him live I’m bullish on him. Natural defensive instincts, had a run down tackle and an intercept mark inside 50. Kicked another from the ruck in the goal square.

He also got dragged into the stoppage a few times including one where he gathered cleanly off the deck, before selling a handball, sidestepping a tackler and hitting a target on the exit, clearly confident in close from his basketball background.
Yep definitely impressive in patches today. Should play seniors this year.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides

Has an excellent blind turn as well. Will be interesting to see him in 2 weeks against McKay or Durdin

Top Bottom