AFLW Player #32: Paige “Bulldozer” Scott - EFC Rising Star 2023 - 7/12

Remove this Banner Ad

32 - scott.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2022
My Girl Draft 2023: Pick 7, yodellinhank

Last edited by a moderator:
Up for a goal of the year nomination this week 😂 if we’re not careful someone will poach her, she’s far too good!

Vote:

Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Will be a star! Article behind a paywall, any chance you could post what it said. Please and thank you.👍
Sorry about the delay…

Former GWV Rebel Paige Scott relishing the limelight with starring first up performance in AFLW for Essendon​

PAIGE Scott freely admits the idea of signing autographs and posing for selfies with 12,500 football fans has left her stunned, but definitely wanting more.
Just weeks after being drafted at number eight by the Bombers, the former Greater Western Victoria Rebels star made her AFLW debut at the weekend in front of a boisterous Marvel Stadium crowd, helping her side to a debut win over Hawthorn.
Scott picked up 16 possessions - understood to be the second most ever by an AFLW first year player on debut - and helped herself to a first-quarter goal in the 7.11 (53) to 4.3 (27) win.

So good was the performance, she picked up four coaches votes, with each coach rating her the fourth player on the ground.

Speaking to The Courier, Scott said the whole occasion was overwhelming.
"It was an unreal feeling," she said. "The crowd was beautiful. The atmosphere was definitely there. Everyone kept telling me how loud the crowd was, but to be honest, I didn't hear it because I was in the zone so much.
"It was a bit 'woah' as we ran out, but at the end of the game fans kept asking for things to be signed, to take photos. I've never really experienced like that."

Scott said to kick a goal on debut was a dream come true.
"That was a thrill, I think everyone dreams about kicking a goal in their first game," she said.
"For it to come from a really good mark, I was rapt."

Having stepped up from playing under age football just a mere three months ago, Scott admitted to plenty of nerves to start.
"Everyone said I looked really and collected, but inside, I wasn't," she said.
"It was a really good game of football, a lot of people are saying to us that it was one of the best AFLW games seen.
"There was definitely tension everywhere, but it was fast and furious.
"We probably could have been a bit better with the efficiency, but something we've got plenty of time to work on and I'm sure it will come good."
The Bombers next meet another traditional arch-rival, up against Carlton next Sunday afternoon.

Albertross

Club Legend
Feb 26, 2015
North of the border
AFL Club
Essendon
Sorry about the delay…

Former GWV Rebel Paige Scott relishing the limelight with starring first up performance in AFLW for Essendon​

PAIGE Scott freely admits the idea of signing autographs and posing for selfies with 12,500 football fans has left her stunned, but definitely wanting more.
Just weeks after being drafted at number eight by the Bombers, the former Greater Western Victoria Rebels star made her AFLW debut at the weekend in front of a boisterous Marvel Stadium crowd, helping her side to a debut win over Hawthorn.
Scott picked up 16 possessions - understood to be the second most ever by an AFLW first year player on debut - and helped herself to a first-quarter goal in the 7.11 (53) to 4.3 (27) win.

So good was the performance, she picked up four coaches votes, with each coach rating her the fourth player on the ground.

Speaking to The Courier, Scott said the whole occasion was overwhelming.
"It was an unreal feeling," she said. "The crowd was beautiful. The atmosphere was definitely there. Everyone kept telling me how loud the crowd was, but to be honest, I didn't hear it because I was in the zone so much.
"It was a bit 'woah' as we ran out, but at the end of the game fans kept asking for things to be signed, to take photos. I've never really experienced like that."

Scott said to kick a goal on debut was a dream come true.
"That was a thrill, I think everyone dreams about kicking a goal in their first game," she said.
"For it to come from a really good mark, I was rapt."

Having stepped up from playing under age football just a mere three months ago, Scott admitted to plenty of nerves to start.
"Everyone said I looked really and collected, but inside, I wasn't," she said.
"It was a really good game of football, a lot of people are saying to us that it was one of the best AFLW games seen.
"There was definitely tension everywhere, but it was fast and furious.
"We probably could have been a bit better with the efficiency, but something we've got plenty of time to work on and I'm sure it will come good."
The Bombers next meet another traditional arch-rival, up against Carlton next Sunday afternoon.
Cheers! Heading into the first game, naturally, most of the focus was on established AFLW listed players or the VFLW players that we signed up.

Then along came Paige Scott in her debut game. I've no doubt she will become one of the stars of the comp within a short period of time. I hope we get her signed up to the Red and Black for as long as we can.

Compare this:

To the one about Parish:

They're almost exactly the same video XD

'it's peaceful'

shot of bundling and throwing the fleece

'quiet and a bit boring sometimes'

sheep being sorted in the run, dogs running around their feet

'get to drive the tractors and paddock bombs around'

shot of picking up hay bales with the fork

I reckon Scotty has more of a talent for actual shearing though. Parish's old man would only let him do crutching 🤣

Would be interesting to get like a podcast episode of the two of them comparing notes

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Compare this:

To the one about Parish:

They're almost exactly the same video XD

'it's peaceful'

shot of bundling and throwing the fleece

'quiet and a bit boring sometimes'

sheep being sorted in the run, dogs running around their feet

'get to drive the tractors and paddock bombs around'

shot of picking up hay bales with the fork

I reckon Scotty has more of a talent for actual shearing though. Parish's old man would only let him do crutching 🤣

Would be interesting to get like a podcast episode of the two of them comparing notes

Yep.

Even the same twang in their voices.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
How has she gone in the VFLW? At AFLW she looked really good when she got the ball in hand but needed to get the pill more often I thought.

Increase the disposal tally with her movement, power and skills and she'll become a standout.

Good to hear it's "only" a concussion, not anything more sinister.

How has she gone in the VFLW? At AFLW she looked really good when she got the ball in hand but needed to get the pill more often I thought.

Increase the disposal tally with her movement, power and skills and she'll become a standout.

Good to hear it's "only" a concussion, not anything more sinister.
It's a good question. She only played the last two games, missed r1 and r2 for unknown reasons. And I've struggled to watch games properly on the last two weekends due to clashes with other events. CrowdedHouse and ant555 watched those games though I think, might have more insight?

The VFLW player review of AFLW players (same as the VFL one each week) says this for r3:

Paige Scott​

13 disposals, six tackles, one goal

It was great to have Paige for her first VFLW game this season. She showed promising signs with her final stats. The highlight for Paige was her impact around the contest highlighted by her six tackles. Part of adding to Paige's game has been her defensive running, and she was able to add two rebound 50s which is a real bonus for her and us going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

😁 Love her. She's going to be sooo good. Might even be my favourite AFL Scotty.

“My tackling skills definitely come from the farm. I’ve had to chase little lambs and stuff like that and pick them up, so for small steps and footwork,” said Scott.

“Hydration as well like, some days you’re on a farm and it’s 40 degrees, obviously you’ve got to keep fluids up and you take that to a game and leading up to a game and just managing yourself.”

So, what’s harder to tackle, a sheep or an opposition player? “I don’t know, depends on the sheep, depends on the player,” Scott laughed. “Maddy Pres [Essendon teammate Maddy Prespakis] is pretty hard to tackle.”

"Bulldozer Junior" coz she plays like her granddad 😅 the tattoo is a nice way to remember him and their shared love of footy, "elbows up, kiddo"
It was her grandpa, Keith, though, who had the biggest impact on Scott’s life - both on and off the field. He taught her the way around the farm and nurtured her early days at the same club he used to play at, Natte Yallock, 200 kilometres north-west of Melbourne.

“He was a tough old bugger but he had a heart of gold,” she said, recalling him once picking up a highly venomous brown snake off the road with his bare hands to chuck in the grain shed to eat the mice.

“Probably taught me how to swear as well,” Scott says.“He was definitely one of my biggest influences. And he was a hard old bastard when it came to footy as well.

“People used to say, ‘God, you play like your grandfather’ and then I started getting called ‘Bulldozer Junior’... That was Pa’s nickname. I was like, ‘Why?’ ‘Because he never went for the ball. He went for the player.’”

Keith passed away the morning of Scott’s VFLW debut for Geelong in April last year, which still brings her to tears.

“He’s definitely proud up there,” she says. “Probably would have wanted me to play for St Kilda – but I’m glad I didn’t go down that path.”

“I’ve got a tattoo just above my elbow saying ‘elbows up, kiddo’. Because he always used to say you’ve got to keep the elbows up when you’re playing footy.”

Playing for Essendon and how it feels like home. She wanted to play AFL because she was better than all the boys 🤣😍
The city lights may not have captured Scott’s heart – “just put me on a paddock and some sheep and a sunset and I’m one happy girl,” she admits. But Essendon has, despite it not being some of her Collingwood-supporting family’s first preference.

“That’s one thing I really like about Essendon. It’s like a home, if not my first, my second … I remember sitting there when I was five years of age saying that I wanted to play AFL because I thought I was better than all the boys and I remember getting laughed at and getting told to get back on the netball field.

“[But now] it just feels amazing when a little girl or boy says to you, ‘I want to be just like you when I grow up and I love the way you play.’ It definitely brings you back to why you’re playing and why you love the game so much.”

She admits being on the farm is her “true love” and staying in the city during the season isn’t her first choice.

“But I love footy and footy is what I want to do – and, you know, you just have to make some sacrifices.”

Also for RedmanWasHere;
Scott’s great-grandfather Henry Equid played for Essendon in the 1940s and was an under 19s premiership player. Scott wears the same number as him, 32.

His name is recorded at Windy Hill and Scott said it would mean a lot when she took to the same field, as the spiritual home will be used as Essendon’s AFLW home ground this season.“It’s cool to be able to, you know, bring back the history into my family as well,” she said.
😝

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
😁 Love her. She's going to be sooo good. Might even be my favourite AFL Scotty.

"Bulldozer Junior" coz she plays like her granddad 😅 the tattoo is a nice way to remember him and their shared love of footy, "elbows up, kiddo"

Playing for Essendon and how it feels like home. She wanted to play AFL because she was better than all the boys 🤣😍

Also for RedmanWasHere;

😝

Ping Oliver G.

Gone with the ole winged chest tat, although the bit you can see of it in the video is much nicer than Stringer’s 😝

2023 Club Rising Star Winner!

Means: most votes in the BnF and under 21, have not previously won it and under 10 AFLW games before the start of the season.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 20.14.29.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back