Autopsy 32 pt loss to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

WOG: Danyle Pearce

Players like Weller, Langdon, Tucker didn't do much.

Collins did well to keep his head up after being smacked by Watts early on. Competed well afterwards.

Blakely, Neale and Tabs our better players. Suban had one of his better games and Hill improved in the second half. Walters is probably our best field kicker.

What a s**t game. When are we going to get our next win? :(

Have to say Taberner was again serviceable. He wasn't horrible either. 7 marks. He deserved more goals, again the kicking to him is frustrating.

First half was very very poor. Not just skill errors but intent and tackling weren't there. So many players well below their best. Collins had a learning curve, played on the wrong player from the outset.

Weller, Tucker and Ibbo could be dropped

Was going to reply to this in the game day thread but after writing my essay it was all closed up.
Our brand 2 years ago was manic pressure and defense and yet now we can let a team like Melbourne get 67 inside 50's, can blame injuries, youth, etc but you still have to have never say die effort and attitude
Surely we have to go back to that next year. Whatever we have tried to implement this year has completely gone away from everything that made us a strong side. Only team that consistently knocked us off was Hawthorn.

Not seeing as many 100+ scoring fests after the first part of the year and have seen some pretty dour contests between contenders lauded as 'ripping contests' so this whole all-out offensive, 'pretty' football craze was perhaps a little short-lived and has been massively overplayed.

* the aesthetics and what other teams supporters say about the way we played, it made us into perennial contenders and by going away from those things we are so far from any semblance of gameplan or direction it completely beggars belief. :'(

I know it's trite to say, but we need a complete reboot in the forward line in the post-Pav era.
- Get some decent crumbers and FFS get them to crumb!
- Get one stay at home forward who can pack mark and create separation on the lead.
- Let Tabs keep developing in his Ash Hansen role - don't try and turn him into a stay at home fwd.
- Recruit natural forwards - I'd reach for Patrick Kerr at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Admission: I didn;t even watch the game.
I know it's trite to say, but we need a complete reboot in the forward line in the post-Pav era.
- Get some decent crumbers and FFS get them to crumb!
- Get one stay at home forward who can pack mark and create separation on the lead.
- Let Tabs keep developing in his Ash Hansen role - don't try and turn him into a stay at home fwd.
- Recruit natural forwards - I'd reach for Patrick Kerr at this stage.
I'd disagree with keeping Tabs as a stay at home forward. Why not?

I think the summary could be considered as such

s**t first half
Won the second half
My no injuries plea disappeared with Ibbo (nose) and Mundy (not sure).

Tabs was a positive, Neale kept trying, Hill improved in the second half.

Wish there was something more I could say.

We bank another defeat and move on.

Crozier was pretty good today I thought, his big advantage is he is a second effort player and competitive in the air and on the ground. Plus he can kick. I'd line up a dozen guys from today before crucifying him

Not much to say really, we got outworked and outplayed, couldn't get our hands on the ball in the first half and when we did we sprayed it. Props to Melbourne who've become a much more professional team than what they once were.

Controversial opinion but I think it's time for Weller to have a week off in the twos having played every game this year, he looked absolutely spent tonight and didn't impact the contest enough, same could be said about Tucker. Taberner looked dangerous when he had supply and I can say we have a lot to work with in the future. Crozier, Spurr, and Suttcliffe were good in defense but the endless supply of F50 entries gave them no chance.

I really liked the way Collins responded after being beaten by Watts in the first quarter and made sure he didn't let his confidence suffer because of it, moved onto Hogan and really competed, really like the look of my first buddy. Neale soldiered on and has all but certainly locked in the Doig this year, was instrumental in a team that had 136 less disposals than their opposition, I'm really glad he's staying.

Poor performances once again from Ibbotson who I think is done and should make way for Hughes, Mundy, and D. Pearce who was atrocious.

We're a football team with a lot of problems.
Nope.
What pisses us off is we have a few problems.
Sometimes it's easier being on bottom of the ladder for a reason. This time, this season, we're on the bottom of the ladder for reasons we can't quite get our heads around.
That's worse.

Crozier was pretty good today I thought, his big advantage is he is a second effort player and competitive in the air and on the ground. Plus he can kick. I'd line up a dozen guys from today before crucifying him

Had a very poor disposal efficiency tonight. Which is damaging for the role he plays.

Ditch this Hill has has HBF thing. Play him solely in the middle. He's better for it.
Agreed. :thumbsu:

Every time they've tried it, it doesn't work. Then when they switch him into the guts it's turned the game in our favour.

Not to mention the team. And while we're at it let's keep our most dangerous forward in Walters close to goal.
This as well :thumbsu:

Sutcliffe and Sheridan are just no good for our defence (I'm not even sure if the former is good for our starting 22). Dawson is just Dawson.

We're not going to be competitive back there for a long time until we can develop our up and comers - perhaps it's best to keep SNOS and Johnson around for another year to help prepare the new era.

I am at a loss to understand D. Pearce getting a 2 year extension, with Barlow in limbo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back