Autopsy 32 pt loss to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Because being tired is not only physical but also a mental attitude. It happened to both GWS and the Suns where their young players petered out at the tail end of the season. It happens to all young players who haven't had the benefit of multiple pre seasons.,its not an excuse . You keep throwing darts but keep missing the dart board.
Yeah i think you missed it mate, 2 weeks off and there mentally tired?, and yet no one said that, hows about you play the ball and not the man i thought you were different salim obviously not now get back in line with the rest of the sheep baaaaa

Yeah i think you missed it mate, 2 weeks off and there mentally tired?, and yet no one said that, hows about you play the ball and not the man i thought you were different salim obviously not now get back in line with the rest of the sheep baaaaa

Stating the obvious that young players become tired is hardly lining up with your so called sheep posters. There are positive posters but being positive hardly makes you a sheep. The same could be said about the half glass posters who line up behind each other.

Stating the obvious that young players become tired is hardly lining up with your so called sheep posters. There are positive posters but being positive hardly makes you a sheep. The same could be said about the half glass posters who line up behind each other.
Mate your post was about fishing for likes and nothing more, it was fine till the last bit and you know it. My opinion was the young guys couldn't cope with the humidity nothing more nothing less so whats with the darts comment hey? And thats what makes you a sheep

- Balla. Work rate up there as usual. Better as the game went on. Many seem to be bagging him. Thought he was OK in a s**t team performance.
Sorry but 41% disposal efficiency and 25% goal accuracy. If Mayne had produced that kind of output, people would be calling for him to be delisted immediately.

Mayne had double his pressure acts, and double his score involvements. I thought Ballas was good in the 4th quarter (when he racked up almost all his stats) but up until then he had almost zero impact and wasn't working hard enough imo. The fact that he seemed to have so much energy in the last spoke volumes to me that he didn't put in when we needed him to.

In the Game Day thread people criticised Mayne that his two goals (in the third) were pointless because the game was already over but then when Ballas kicked a good one in the 4th that was apparently amazing. And surprise surprise he gets votes and Mayne gets none. I'd have no problem with Ballas being dropped as he needs to step up when we are struggling not lift when we have a bit of momentum behind us in junk time.

Mate your post was about fishing for likes and nothing more, it was fine till the last bit and you know it. My opinion was the young guys couldn't cope with the humidity nothing more nothing less so whats with the darts comment hey? And thats what makes you a sheep
It's July, there's no humidity in Darwin.
Why do you go so hard at people who disagree with you? It seems to most people here that you're a troll, just looking to get under people's skin. I personally think you should think more before you post as the way you construct your posts comes across as very argumentative and aggressive. We're all allowed an opinion without being called a sheep or whatever term you want to use.

Really ,every body who disagrees with you is fishing for likes? You need to grow a brain.

It's July, there's no humidity in Darwin.
Why do you go so hard at people who disagree with you? It seems to most people here that you're a troll, just looking to get under people's skin. I personally think you should think more before you post as the way you construct your posts comes across as very argumentative and aggressive. We're all allowed an opinion without being called a sheep or whatever term you want to use.
Yet i get called troll campaigner idiot imbecile and eagles supporter and if you watched the game last night you would see humidity was through the roof, they were ducking there heads in ice water to cool down

Seriously some of you guys need to grow thicker skins, i support freo since day dot and mainly because i didn't like the eagle supporters but being here i see a lot of you are just like them. I am allowed an opinion sure if you dont like it fine, chances are most likely i dont like your opinion as well.
I've tried not to make it personal, unlike a lot of you have here. Im onmy second bottle of red and i forgot were i was going with this but gees just relax a bit

Sorry but 41% disposal efficiency and 25% goal accuracy. If Mayne had produced that kind of output, people would be calling for him to be delisted immediately.

Mayne had double his pressure acts, and double his score involvements. I thought Ballas was good in the 4th quarter (when he racked up almost all his stats) but up until then he had almost zero impact and wasn't working hard enough imo. The fact that he seemed to have so much energy in the last spoke volumes to me that he didn't put in when we needed him to.

In the Game Day thread people criticised Mayne that his two goals (in the third) were pointless because the game was already over but then when Ballas kicked a good one in the 4th that was apparently amazing. And surprise surprise he gets votes and Mayne gets none. I'd have no problem with Ballas being dropped as he needs to step up when we are struggling not lift when we have a bit of momentum behind us in junk time.

I thought Balla was OK in the third too. Didn't look at stats, but what you say certainly doesn't read well, point taken.

I made no comment on Mayne. Thought, like many out there, was out the game for long periods, but was pretty good at certain points. I'd consider Balla and Mayne's game of similar standard, except Balla seemed 'in the game' more.

Just MHO.

After Saturday surely you'd be looking at lacking effort rather than skill errors, something which even our most skilled players were profoundly guilty of. Not to excuse the appalling skills but with the humidity and the contagious nature of s**t footy we were always going to need great effort in order to compensate, and we sadly didn't bring much if any. Melbourne were definitely good but we could have made them look as bad as we were with a skerrick of defensive running and chasing.

Ballas worked his arse off and hit the scoreboard too, more than you can say of most. I'm not really a fan of pitting him against Mayne like you did either, surely you can praise one without needing to pot another to do so? With the utmost respect to our posters, many comments in the gameday thread really aren't worth taking seriously, my own included. Lots of emotionally and drinky-drink influenced diatribe. I reckon they were both 'ok' with Mayne possibly having the better game.

and yes I'm probably a touch biased ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, our collective lack of expectation for Ballas is worrying. This guy was once a 3-4 goal a game player, and used to create magic passages of play from almost nothing.

He's turning 29 in a week so it's not completely unusual but his disposal efficiency and general ball use has taken a quite a dip. Little feller just doesn't seem to impact the game he once did.

If it wasn't clear to people before, last night should highlight how this game is won and lost in the midfield.

Losing the midfield battle puts insane pressure on the defenders, starves the forwards.

Player availability will help, but we need to be less reliant on the Sandi/Fyfe combo in order to be competitive. We should be able to compete in the midfield irrespective and not an injury to one elite player (let alone the two of them) away from a total failure of a season.

If it wasn't clear to people before, last night should highlight how this game is won and lost in the midfield.

Losing the midfield battle puts insane pressure on the defenders, starves the forwards.

Player availability will help, but we need to be less reliant on the Sandi/Fyfe combo in order to be competitive. We should be able to compete in the midfield irrespective and not an injury to one elite player (let alone the two of them) away from a total failure of a season.
This is exactly my worry. The club and supporters shouldnt be saying "Oh well, fyfey is back next year". The bloke cant do it on his own. The rest of the team need to grow a pair and get tougher, and get better. Just shows how many were riding on fyfeys coat tails.

I agree with this. We are totally lacking leadership right now in the midfield and ownership from players to take it upon themselves to win us the game. Neale is our most consistent performer right now but he's not really a match winner at the moment. Perhaps because the pressures on him as basically our only performing midfielder. He has played better games when Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow etc were firing. That being said, we would be totally stuffed without him right now.

Not only do we need more leadership in the midfield but our ruck stocks are absolutely dire right now. Would be ideal to nab a ruckman as a free agent at the end of the year. No idea who though.

This is exactly my worry. The club and supporters shouldnt be saying "Oh well, fyfey is back next year". The bloke cant do it on his own. The rest of the team need to grow a pair and get tougher, and get better. Just shows how many were riding on fyfeys coat tails.

Some of us were calling this round 8 last year. But unlike last year, we now have Blakely, Weller and possibly Langdon and Bennell to help out next year. It'll be alright.

Would be great to recruit players who can dispose of the ball with both feet at an elite level.

It's not just how often you get the ball but what you do with it. SPS is the best suitor for this. Lock him in Bondy

I'm in the camp of without Fyfe , Mundy , Barlow and Sandi in the midfield we were always going to struggle in this game . The playing of Ballas and Walters as midfielders was always going to hurt us when the ball went into the forward line .
Everyone who is in the camp of "ALL we need is to recruit Hogan and everything will be fine next year " is dreaming .
The young players needed to have more than a week off to get over the bashed up bodies as well as the mental pressures of the last 6 weeks . The injuries plus the added pressure to perform has given them a true baptism of what its like in senior football and they will improve but like all young players it becomes overwhelming in the short term . Gold coast had to deal with this all of last year and for most of this year . The team will be better but until the missing senior players are back it will be all hard yards .
RTB and the selectors have a very shallow pool of available players to choose from and after watching Peel this week there are very slim pickings for replacements . Clarke , Hughes , De Boer ,Morabito , Yarran , Deluca and Hurley where the only players available to play for Peel . Mzungu and Hannath the traveling emergencies for Freo .
Mora , De Boer and Hughes first game back from injury .Hurley with 1 reserves and 2 league games for the year . Yarran 3 WAFL games this year and Clarke who got a knee knock or turned an ankle in the first quarter but played a reasonable game in the wet\freezing , cold conditions in Mandurah .
Josh Deluca at least gave it everything he had and the upgrading gave him a shot of confidence to play well against his old club.

We were lucky enough to get to Darwin for this game. Great place for a mid winter trip but the game was horrible from a Freo perspective.

It was very humid on Saturday night but this would have made the ball slightly difficult to handle rather than being energy sapping as such. We failed to take our chances early and never recovered, If Pav had taken his set shot rather than hand balling over the top or if Tabs could have kicked a goal from the mark he took then we could have easily been in a much better position by quarter time. Melbourne won the game in the last half of the first quarter as things turned out.

Freo did a good job of halting Melbourne's dominance during the second quarter and played some better football in the second half but never to the point of looking like being able to bridge the gap. Came away from the game feeling very disappointed.

Had a bit of a laugh after the game when the ground announcer said it was the first game Melbourne had won in Darwin and they would probably play the Melbourne song a couple of times.....I was secretly hoping they had lost the song but unfortunately that was not the case. The Melbourne supporters on the bus sung it once too so that sucked. I had forgotten how bad you feel when your team is losing game after game so any ugly win between now and 2017 will be good thanks RTB and co.

We were lucky enough to get to Darwin for this game. Great place for a mid winter trip but the game was horrible from a Freo perspective.

It was very humid on Saturday night but this would have made the ball slightly difficult to handle rather than being energy sapping as such. We failed to take our chances early and never recovered, If Pav had taken his set shot rather than hand balling over the top or if Tabs could have kicked a goal from the mark he took then we could have easily been in a much better position by quarter time. Melbourne won the game in the last half of the first quarter as things turned out.

Freo did a good job of halting Melbourne's dominance during the second quarter and played some better football in the second half but never to the point of looking like being able to bridge the gap. Came away from the game feeling very disappointed.

Had a bit of a laugh after the game when the ground announcer said it was the first game Melbourne had won in Darwin and they would probably play the Melbourne song a couple of times.....I was secretly hoping they had lost the song but unfortunately that was not the case. The Melbourne supporters on the bus sung it once too so that sucked. I had forgotten how bad you feel when your team is losing game after game so any ugly win between now and 2017 will be good thanks RTB and co.

It puts the whole 'ugly win' debate into fresh context doesn't it. All those people complaining that we weren't winning by enough, or well enough back in the day. I'm happy for an ugly win any day of the week, and twice on grand final day.

Sutcliffe and Sheridan are just no good for our defence (I'm not even sure if the former is good for our starting 22). Dawson is just Dawson.

We're not going to be competitive back there for a long time until we can develop our up and comers - perhaps it's best to keep SNOS and Johnson around for another year to help prepare the new era.

I am at a loss to understand D. Pearce getting a 2 year extension, with Barlow in limbo.
Agreed, borderline appalling. Poor recruiting has these two being played out of position, both should be on a wing, my god they are shocking in the back half and you can tell it doesn't come naturally to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back