Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Brilliant! He was serviceable to good. He rucked well, took the occasional mark, tackled okay for a big bloke, but compared to Nankervis who was epic in some of our finals games, top tackler on the ground in one, game saving marks in another.

Sampson comes with big wraps, our recruiting team obviously think he has a high ceiling because pick 40 says so. He looks very athletic and mobile and can mark a ball and his ruck-craft looks pretty good for someone so young against men.

Credit to Soldo for what he has done for himself and the team, but it won't take much for either CCJ or Sampson to overtake him. CCJ in particular will be very exciting to watch this year I reckon.

Your opinion, I respect it. I disagree. I reckon you look for what you want in a ruck in Ivan. What I see in Ivan is that he got taps to advantage, control contested situations with his strength and power and fill the hole really well. Nank is worse in tap work and that pure strength thing, but is way better in intercept marks and around the ground. Overall, I reckon Nank is more valuable. But Soldo does a great job of what he does, and was improving before he was injured. And the Nank Soldo couple is awesome. Soldo takes the main ruck and plays the kick behind and sometimes resting forward. Nank takes the 2nd (and 1st sometimes), plays as a ruck rover and fantastic intercept marking. Together they are sort of like a super ruck. That's what I like, 2 role players that together are dominant in helping us play our game.

208? I'm reading 206. Which is great height for a ruck. In the bit of the QAFL game I saw, Ryan towered over his oppo ruck.
Tom Browne understands he may be as tall as 213 cm (citing unnamed source close to the family).

]
CCJ? and other part timers

I think some are underrating Nank. He gets injured we bring in a replacement,yeah right

I think some are underestimating how good Dusty can be at 37 to.

I think some are underrating some on our list. Some seem to think 3-4 years at the most more and our window closing. I think some are selling Dusty and Co short

Well ccj threw a spanner in the works by getting suspended.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is earmarked as Riewoldts replacement. Play a bit forward in the vfl gf - if he stays at tigerland long term(?)

The club will probably argue the window stays open longer by reinforcing the ruck position. Especially with the soldo injury and culina being largely unavailable

Last edited:
Exactly, alledgedly, clearly there is fewer than that and a number have to get past the training wheels

I am so glad we still got Graham and Shai to go through to ensure we got some strength in there at a young age.

Some say CCJ is unproven but RCD is?? :drunk:

Yet some people are melting about not taking Carroll who is unproven at an AFL club. Can't have it both ways.

Your opinion, I respect it. I disagree. I reckon you look for what you want in a ruck in Ivan. What I see in Ivan is that he got taps to advantage, control contested situations with his strength and power and fill the hole really well. Nank is worse in tap work and that pure strength thing, but is way better in intercept marks and around the ground. Overall, I reckon Nank is more valuable. But Soldo does a great job of what he does, and was improving before he was injured. And the Nank Soldo couple is awesome. Soldo takes the main ruck and plays the kick behind and sometimes resting forward. Nank takes the 2nd (and 1st sometimes), plays as a ruck rover and fantastic intercept marking. Together they are sort of like a super ruck. That's what I like, 2 role players that together are dominant in helping us play our game.

Hardwick likes two rucks too lately. Looked a bit awkward with Astbury/Broad

Broad was last in , too. Quite recently dropped from the 22 - only came back due to Soldo opening up a spot iirc

Brilliant! He was serviceable to good. He rucked well, took the occasional mark, tackled okay for a big bloke, but compared to Nankervis who was epic in some of our finals games, top tackler on the ground in one, game saving marks in another.

Sampson comes with big wraps, our recruiting team obviously think he has a high ceiling because pick 40 says so. He looks very athletic and mobile and can mark a ball and his ruck-craft looks pretty good for someone so young against men.

Credit to Soldo for what he has done for himself and the team, but it won't take much for either CCJ or Sampson to overtake him. CCJ in particular will be very exciting to watch this year I reckon.

Swings and roundabouts. Soldo was much better than Nank throughout the Home and Away season. Nank was a liability in quiet a few games this year. Turned it on in finals, but there was a reason Soldo was our number 1 ruckman for most of the season.

If hes good enough for our recruiters to take the punt then i'll welcome him with open arms. They get more right than wrong these days and at pick #40 with the depth we have, already a couple of years older than the other kids im excited to see how Samson goes.

Got a good hit rate with later, speculative picks too.

]

Well ccj threw a spanner in the works by getting suspended.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is earmarked as Riewoldts replacement. Play a bit forward in 6he vfl gf

The club will probably argue the window stays open longer by reinforcing the ruck position. Especially with the soldo injury and culina being largely unavailable

whats CCJs running power like? And/or is he quick off the mark?

whats CCJs running power like? And/or is he quick off the mark?

Moves like a boat :(

Some people reminded me jack Riewoldt is super athletic, in some aspects.

But he is not a proper athlete like Nick was. Jack's a pure footballer so maybe ccj can step up

Playing with lynch. Balta? Dusty etc. Sounds like fun what an opportunity

Moves like a boat :(

Some people reminded me jack Riewoldt is super athletic, in some aspects.

But he is not a proper athlete like Nick was. Jack's a pure footballer so maybe ccj can step up

Playing with lynch. Balta? Dusty etc. Sounds like fun what an opportunity

Think a lack of athleticism isn't the end of the world for players of CCJ's height. Tommy Lynch isn't the most athletic bloke either. CCJ's height and contested marking will most likely make up for it. Just like Lynch. Because Jack is shorter, he can't rely on a height advantage or being able to outreach his opponents so needs to be able to use his footy smarts, body positioning, leap etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got Ross, Dow, RCD all waiting in the wings. All genuine mids. And a wing in Ralphsmith.

Carroll may end up a better player than Ryan, although given the Blues recruiting recently I'm not that stressed.

These guys have plucked bargains like Graham at 53 let alone our rookies. Keep the faith.

Bigoa Nyuon might be played as a flank or mid too

Swings and roundabouts. Soldo was much better than Nank throughout the Home and Away season. Nank was a liability in quiet a few games this year. Turned it on in finals, but there was a reason Soldo was our number 1 ruckman for most of the season.
Because Nank missed 14 matches with an ankle injury, took a few weeks to get match fitness then was brilliant during the finals full fit. His finals series far surpassed anything Soldo has ever done.

With Soldo out for a year, CCJ will be first cab off the rank because as a second ruck he is a threat up forward with his marking power. Then Sampson will have two preseasons in him by the time Soldo is back and at 207cm and mobile will be about ready also. There will be fight for spots and while Soldo might be strong and a decent tap ruck he is still pretty limited with his lack of mobility. Balta helped change the game with his mobility in the GF, lumbering rucks can't do that.

But Soldo is out for a season and two young mobile marking rucks are going to be coming at him, that would be a super combination as well. Guess we will find out next year if CCJ is what they'd hoped he would be when he was recruited, and how quickly Sampson comes on.

Samson is excellent below his knees and has very good skills for a big man, his tap work has always been his strength, can go with either hand and jump off either foot and tap it 360*. The biggest step he took this year was sitting in the hole in defence and down the line as an exit option, took heaps of contested marks, some of them in huge moments.
So basically he's Max Gawn mkII? Nice.

Thanks for the info.

So basically he's Max Gawn mkII? Nice.

Thanks for the info.
Imagine the oppo melts in a few years.

Trade out our first rounder only to draft the next all-australian ruckman with pick 40 o_O

Delicious

But Soldo is out for a season and two young mobile marking rucks are going to be coming at him, that would be a super combination as well. Guess we will find out next year if CCJ is what they'd hoped he would be when he was recruited, and how quickly Sampson comes on.

Agree. Ivan could be up against it in 2022. Doesn't impact on what I said.

If we have 4 quality AFL rucks (B grade, no more) then we have too many in 2022.

That is great - we have amazing trade bait. It sucks, because we have one or 2 wasted list spots.

Anyway, hope CCJ is amazing and we see a genuine forward ruck star.

Hope Samson comes on fast and really lives the AFL dream.

And hope Nank just tears the place apart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back