Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he’s showing enough this year to be cautiously optimistic.
17 goals from 9 games last year was a good return for a guy recruited as a ruckman.
Slow start to this season ( dropped too many marks early games) but has really picked up in that area recently.
He needs to add weight to his frame before he’s AFL ready but when he does he could be pretty handy in that ruck/forward role because he’s ultra-competitive and doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty

I am very bullish on him reckon he will be a very good ruck/forward. He is very tall and has intensity. He wants to be involved in all aspects of the play and kicks very well. He will also be a strong grab when he physically develops. He has an ironing board upper torso which hinders him but he will bulk up and be a real handful at 209cm and 110kg

I don't see it yet, but guys his size (both height and skinnyness) can take years, so happy to keep giving him the preseasons to develop.
Good tap work, can take a big mark, finds plenty of the ball, beautiful field kick and set shot, got some campaigner in him too.

Drops too many marks and goes to ground too easily now but that will get better as he builds strength. He's still a beanpole.

Good tap work, can take a big mark, finds plenty of the ball, beautiful field kick and set shot, got some campaigner in him too.

Drops too many marks and goes to ground too easily now but that will get better as he builds strength. He's still a beanpole.
I might have to take another look at his tap work. From the games I remember seeing, this is one area he is poor in... Very rarely HTA.

Hopefully he's not one of the blokes that never gets bigger and stronger. That is all that his holding him back IMO.

Na he’s fine, already has put on a decent chunk in the time he’s been at richmond.
Will continue to do so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the look of him.

I can remember not that long ago how horribly skinny and awkward Max Gawn looked.

It takes a long time for these big blokes to come on. But if they do then they become very important.

He’s worth working with.

The good thing this bloke seems to have that will help him find a spot in the team as his strength improves, he can impact as a forward.

2024 every chance he can play 2nd ruck/forward.

From there as opportunities open up he may be able to handle the first ruck position. But he is a skilful player who is a really good kick for goal, has good agility and great reach. These things should help him playing forward as well as in the ruck.

It should be great fun watching Ryan and Colina develop together with their height and agility.

I'm still sitting on the fence with him as I believe he needs to be persisted with for at least 2 seasons until he is fully physically developed. As somebody mentioned he has dinner plates for hands and needs to improve in this area and hopefully it will when he becomes physically stronger. HTA is getting better and we looked much better when he went in the ruck and Soldo trotted to the FL. No way is he going to be a forward so he needs to play ruck for most of game time.

This kid is slowly showing something that is pretty rare.

At 206cm he is playing a key position forward role. I think personally he is going to end up being a full time ruckman.

But right now he is showing that he is able to hit the scoreboard as a forward which isn’t very common for a 205cm+ ruck.

Two BOGs in a row. Deserves a recall to the seniors. Could be a real point of difference alongside lynch and riewoldt
No it won't. You cannot play three slow tall's. The ball would rebound like a pin-ball machine down the other end. It would work if Riewoldt was a mobile fast tall. You would have to drop one of Gibcus or Miller and go shorter down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back