Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Rory Lobb moves like real forward, very agile, closer to the King bros. Ryan does not move anything like that.

More to the point to be an AFL key forward you need to be able to hit the ball at pace with your arms stretched out all the while with someone up your hammer. Thats after you've already made 3 or 4 leads, been bumped a few times and may or may not get a kick where you want it.

Two BOGs in a row. Deserves a recall to the seniors. Could be a real point of difference alongside lynch and riewoldt
Definitely don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but if the Saints s**t the bed against the Lions and we get over the Hawks, Round 23 is effectively a dead rubber for us. So it'd be nice to see Sam and a couple of others in the fringe get a senior run against the Bombers.

His body is starting to really bulk up and this is what he needed to do. He’s really playing with a lot of confidence now and not getting rag dolled around. Should be ready by midway next season to come onto the scene and hopefully take the game on. I said it with this guy numerous times now that there’s no rush with him as he’s physically not ready , but he’s coming on faster than I thought.
Great to see it when a kid puts all the hard work in and doesn’t sook it up looking for excuses that his progress was stunted by Covid. His attitude on the field is really bouncy and positive. You can see he’s enjoying his game and he looks like he believes he’s going to make it.

Definitely don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but if the Saints s**t the bed against the Lions and we get over the Hawks, Round 23 is effectively a dead rubber for us. So it'd be nice to see Sam and a couple of others in the fringe get a senior run against the Bombers.
Certainly wouldn't be the worst case to drop one and finish 8th as that way we're more likely to play Freo instead of Brisbane. I reckon we're a better chance against them in finals.
The biggest risk to this is that Brisbane will be playing Saints in Melbourne on a 5 day break with travel, will give the Saints a much better shot than I'd normally give them

His body is starting to really bulk up and this is what he needed to do. He’s really playing with a lot of confidence now and not getting rag dolled around. Should be ready by midway next season to come onto the scene and hopefully take the game on. I said it with this guy numerous times now that there’s no rush with him as he’s physically not ready , but he’s coming on faster than I thought.
Great to see it when a kid puts all the hard work in and doesn’t sook it up looking for excuses that his progress was stunted by Covid. His attitude on the field is really bouncy and positive. You can see he’s enjoying his game and he looks like he believes he’s going to make it.

I was critical when we drafted him thinking we have enough similar types at the time with Chol & Cj on the list but with whats eventuated it now looking like a smart choice and Ryan is showing at VFL level that he has the tools to become a very very good 2nd Ruck / Fwd

If i had the choice today between CCj or Ryan - I'm taking Ryan with his agility , leap , height and most importantly brains
The kid is a Tiger

I've always rated Ryan for the attributes he brings. He is a great mark, just not for his size, but in general. He is a reliable set shot and understands his role up forward. On top of all of this, he has a determination to win the ball and score. His confidence and growing leadership has enabled him to start to blossom into an AFL player. His ruck understanding and education has enabled him to become a consistent ruck option too.

I'm a huge wrap for this kid and excited for how he is developing in size, skills and confidence. Jack has a year or two left and Soldo seems to be slipping from favour. Give Sam the time he needs and bring him in when he's ready to take the forward/ruck mantle. Next year is looking more and more likely.

I've always rated Ryan for the attributes he brings. He is a great mark, just not for his size, but in general. He is a reliable set shot and understands his role up forward. On top of all of this, he has a determination to win the ball and score. His confidence and growing leadership has enabled him to start to blossom into an AFL player. His ruck understanding and education has enabled him to become a consistent ruck option too.

I'm a huge wrap for this kid and excited for how he is developing in size, skills and confidence. Jack has a year or two left and Soldo seems to be slipping from favour. Give Sam the time he needs and bring him in when he's ready to take the forward/ruck mantle. Next year is looking more and more likely.

He is ungainly but he looked a little Gawnish in his potential. I have no idea with rucks but he is coming along nicely and I think he is a terrific prospect that could come on in leaps and bounds. It looks like his poise and balance is improving as his body develops and matures which is terrific

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jeez he's a massive barrel chested unit, can't really see what Soldo brings us except depth reckon big Sammo is a walk up start in R1 2023.
View attachment 1493744
Looking at the picture SR looks huge and bigger than watching him live playing

* On a side note Ben Miller is the same height as Nank with a bigger leap and agility

Remove this Banner Ad

Back