Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

He took a big mark in the goal square against the Pies. Plus he was subbed off before we got our hands on the ball against Suns. Can't judge him off properly off that first half.
Had he taken a mark like that v Gc I’d be somewhat encouraged,,, he didn’t and that’s been a pattern in last lot of senior games

Apparently he bulked up over the off season. I don't see it, still a beanpole that gets shoved aside by small forwards.

I’m getting McBean vibes early . Good at VFL level but can’t make that next step forward to match it with the other big boys and just never seems to put on any size or strength.

Thanks to Laura Kanes contribution to the game we'll never know if he did indeed bulk up. I personally don't see any noticeable change. It's embarrassing seeing blokes clearly a foot and probably 25kgs lighter outbody him. Seeing the improvement in the team when Balta went into ruck, Nank back and Naismith contributing he better really start dominating magoos games. Surely his not gonna just hope for injuries to get a game. He needs to find some mongrel asap because his heights his only true asset.

McBean won 2 Frosty Miller goalkicking awards whilst only playing 60% of the seasons. I wish he was looking as good as McBean in magoos.

This is why you don't offer "not elite potential" players 7 year deals.

Remove the Hopper & Taranto deals ending in 2029, we would had Shai ending in 28 & Short+Rioli ending in 27. A 10 year deal is a realistic proposition if it gets you a potential top 3 for the better part of a decade KPF & a forward line for the next decade of Shai Bolton and JUH makes my bean seriously itchy. That is electric.

I would have much rathered spent 10 years getting JUH than 7 years of both Taranto & Hopper, as players in their positions are always available due to a flux of them. I'm not the biggest fan of massive deals, but if you are doing it to get a player who can impact winning like JUH, Lynch, Franklin, Cameron - you give up what you have to, especially when you are in the position we are in.

It almost always works as a theory.

It worked when we chased Lynch,Cats chased Cameron, Franklin to Swans. Even when it doesn't work, it still words ie Boyd with the Bulldgogs. Its worth the risk as we totally lack young elite prospects and he is certainly that.

Last edited:
Thanks to Laura Kanes contribution to the game we'll never know if he did indeed bulk up. I personally don't see any noticeable change. It's embarrassing seeing blokes clearly a foot and probably 25kgs lighter outbody him. Seeing the improvement in the team when Balta went into ruck, Nank back and Naismith contributing he better really start dominating magoos games. Surely his not gonna just hope for injuries to get a game. He needs to find some mongrel asap because his heights his only true asset.

McBean won 2 Frosty Miller goalkicking awards whilst only playing 60% of the seasons. I wish he was looking as good as McBean in magoos.

I am so out on Ryan at this point. I've never even be "in" on him, but gave it time. He is soft & just doesn't appear to have the Alpha-dog in him to be an effective big. Outside of perhaps the Adelaide game, which he was against basically VFL defenders as Adelaide from memory were undermanned - he has been very disappointing at senior level. Very little potential shown at AFL level.

A replacement future ruck is now added to our "critical condition" list.

No key forward prospects

No immediate Ruck prospects

No elite skilled midfield prospects.

Questionable inside mid talent, depth, prospects

Questionable small forward prospects

Iffy Key back prospects

At least we have the HBF flush....

I am so out on Ryan at this point. I've never even be "in" on him, but gave it time. He is soft & just doesn't appear to have the Alpha-dog in him to be an effective big. Outside of perhaps the Adelaide game, which he was against basically VFL defenders as Adelaide from memory were undermanned - he has been very disappointing at senior level. Very little potential shown at AFL level.

A replacement future ruck is now added to our "critical condition" list.

No key forward prospects

No immediate Ruck prospects

No elite skilled midfield prospects.

Questionable inside mid talent, depth, prospects

Questionable small forward prospects

Iffy Key back prospects

At least we have the HBF flush....
You just need players to fill a need don't need elite all over the ground. In 2017 we had one forward in Jack we had no midfield. We had players that worked their guts off to win it. Look at Collingwood last season is very similar didn't blow any teams out of the water but found a way to win. The reason for us being in this position is we tried to bring in players due to the success rather than youngsters. Kozzi is just another example of poor management. Again apart from Daniel and perhaps Gib which youth has taken the spotlight since 17?

I mean not sure he will ever be a number #1 ruck but there aren't many back-up rucks out there as good as Ryan maybe he does come on who knows still young.

big men are in demand, I guess the 3 years is to starve off interest elsewhere and we were probably pretty desperate to keep him given the age of Lynch, Nank and Naismith
Ryan was OK in his first year and his AFL games were OK too . but seemed to go backwards preseason. Saw him in the flesh at the GC game he's still skinny as. Mostly rucked. Is he first in line to cover Lynch?

contract length inflation I suppose.

3years is the old 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently played very limited minutes against GC?

This confuses me. Injured?

Surely we should be getting as many minutes into him as possible over someone like 31yo Naismith

Apparently played very limited minutes against GC?

This confuses me. Injured?

Surely we should be getting as many minutes into him as possible over someone like 31yo Naismith
I thought they held him out of the second half in case he had to come into the seniors

Happy to give Samson 3 years. While he has put on some muscle this preseason he still hasn't worked out how to use it to his advantage. What is interesting though, is they are seemingly using him more as a forward more than in the ruck at VFL level, which makes me wonder if they're trying to make him more of a ruck/forward, than just a ruck.

Is it 7 goals in 3 games ? a nice patch. His got a few weaknesses like any player, but no way no Kosie should be playing ahead of him give him a block of games.

Is it 7 goals in 3 games ? a nice patch. His got a few weaknesses like any player, but no way no Kosie should be playing ahead of him give him a block of games.
Ryan is doing exactly what you want from guys playing VFL. Lefau does a couple of good things a game but may as well have a look at the 3year club. Kosi and Ryan. Kosi wasn't totally useless vs the aints

Would be ok with Ryan coming in after the bye to provide another marking target inside 50 as well as proper ruck support for Nankervis, even if Balta returns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back