Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

100% agree with this
Jack Carroll was the slider that many touted as a 1st rounder Ablett,Sheehan were both on the radio saying he is the kid they thought most likely become a very good player due to what he has done in 2020 as an under age player. He was there at our pick and we took a 20 year old project ruck that nobody heard about. and we already have 4 rucks on the list . Rookie pick at best on a 1 year deal . why use a 2nd rounder

Carroll & Rioli + 2021 1st rounder would have been fantastic. Ohh well welcome samson

Carrol sounded alright but he was overlooked 40 times and Brisbane took a ruck a few picks after Samson. So they probably were targeting him (?)

4 rucks isn't that many given dimmas prefers two. Nank is made of glass. Soldo out. Etc

Could be. Or the fact that we don't have high hopes for Colina. Or the rumours that CCJ is gone at the end of 2021 if he doesn't get gametime.
For Soldo's sake i sorta hope its one of the above.

Getting a ruckman does not bother as much as how much our midfield is neglected by our recruiters.

I feel very sorry for Dusty that has to carry such a load as the bigger midfielder.

Do some in the club want to crucify Dusty?

I am feeling back pain from the load Dusty is carrying at the moment!!
You serious or just trolling Magic?

Balta can play ruck in a must win final but idk about balta in the ruck foe the regular season.

Would you play a young Lynch or Rance in the ruck? Probably not cause you don't want them to get battered when they that valuable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few queries on him. We liked him. But apparently clubs feel that his inbetween height and his lack of athleticism may not translate to AFL. Feel he has gotten by by being bigger and stronger than his opponents which will not be the case in the big time.

How things have changed when 206cm is now considered an in between height for a ruck

Ralpsmith is a forward, Dow and RCD could be backs and Ross still has to make it
* here we go again.
Dow is NOT a defender, has never been a defender and won't be a defender.
RCD is NOT a defender, has never been a defender and won't be a defender.

We all saw what happened when Ross was made to lose weight and run off half back. It was a disaster and it won't be happening again.

We didn't choose 18yo untried B grade mids in this draft (despite your protestations) because we have a traffic jam of mids waiting in the wings and frankly they are better than the kids in this draft once we got past Fin McCrae.

We didn't pick Callow (overweight and slow) or Baldwin (2 ACLs) for the same reasons nobody else chose them. Anyone who thinks either if these kids is a Jack Reiwoldt replacement has rocks in their head.

After three flags in four years you'd think we'd trust the club instead of losing our marbles over a bunch of bog average kids (Jack Carroll went at number 40 ffs and Carlton are welcome to him) in the worst draft in history.

100% agree with this
Jack Carroll was the slider that many touted as a 1st rounder Ablett,Sheehan were both on the radio saying he is the kid they thought most likely become a very good player due to what he has done in 2020 as an under age player. He was there at our pick and we took a 20 year old project ruck that nobody heard about. and we already have 4 rucks on the list . Rookie pick at best on a 1 year deal . why use a 2nd rounder

Carroll & Rioli + 2021 1st rounder would have been fantastic. Ohh well welcome samson
He'd be sitting in the queue for two or three years and then be delisted probably like Turner and English. There's a reason we went with this ruckman Gun.

Backing our recruiters in here. They have done a fantastic job in recent years, so have full faith in their ability to not only spot footy talent, but people that fit our culture. We know that we need to shore up our ruck stocks for the future. My only concern is that talls take longer to mature, to be able to contest against the bigger bodied players in the comp, and as he comes from up north, he may get homesick and request a trade back home. That's where our Richmond man ethos will hopefully help us keep him as a tiger. Welcome to Tigerland Samson!
He's already 20 and has two years of senior footy behind him so he's ahead of the game in that respect.

I love this selection. At 19 and already 206 cm he is a capable ruck who can also take a grab. Imagine a bit of one on one with Ivy! Will be a monster ruck for us for years to come. If and when Colina joins us, oppo rucks will be sh*ting their pants trying to work out how to get an advantage at ruck contests. No one saw this coming and I think it's an inspired choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back