Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the clip on the RFC website probably 5 times

apart from the 2 marks at the start he seems to spend more time on the ground than in the air , Falls over after every mark
Alot of big expectations from a Ruckman that was selected at pick #40

guess he fooled everyone

Really like the addition of this kid. He is a genuine ruckman rather than a forward trying to play ruck or an undersized type who battles hard like Nank but doesn't quite give us the type of service in the ruck that allows our midfielders to win easy clearances. IMO if we can start winning clean clearances more often we'll go to yet another level as we won't be relying as heavily on forcing turnovers.

I think we need a welcome to Richmond Mate Colina thread.
Edit: I found it here

Last edited:
Really like the addition of this kid. He is a genuine ruckman rather than a forward trying to play ruck or an undersized type who battles hard like Nank but doesn't quite give us the type of service in the ruck that allows our midfielders to win easy clearances. IMO if we can start winning clean clearances more often we'll go to yet another level as we won't be relying as heavily on forcing turnovers.
When Nank is playing fit we win clearances like we did all finals series. In fact Nank wins a good many of those himself, and he was the leading tackling player against Port which makes him a bit like a midfielder. In 2017, again when he was fit, he was 3rd in centre clearances for Richmond from memory.
Seriously underrated on this board I reckon.

When Nank is playing fit we win clearances like we did all finals series. In fact Nank wins a good many of those himself, and he was the leading tackling player against Port which makes him a bit like a midfielder. In 2017, again when he was fit, he was 3rd in centre clearances for Richmond from memory.
Not underrating him at all. He gives his all but against genuine rucks like Grundy Gawn & NicNat he struggles to win hitouts which generally means our mids need to shark clearances. IMO having genuine 200+cm rucks who can get first hand on the hitout and direct it to our mids will make us even better.

Not underrating him at all. He gives his all but against genuine rucks like Grundy Gawn & NicNat he struggles to win hitouts which generally means our mids need to shark clearances. IMO having genuine 200+cm rucks who can get first hand on the hitout and direct it to our mids will make us even better.
Especially if they can match Nanks output both in the contest and around the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, not so much about Grundy as I reckon Nank has touched up Grundy more often than the other way round, but Gawn and Nic Nat are on another level ruckwise. But Nank evens a lot of ruck contests against bigger opponents and often smashes highly rated ones like he did to Marshall this year. I don't think I have ever seen Soldo ever take another ruck apart like Nank does. That is why I am keen for CCJ to develop and the new lad, because they can both jump and are mobile.... of course I could be going a tad early on Sampson.

Especially if they can match Nanks output both in the contest and around the ground
And how many can do that, maybe Grundy, but he just hovers around the midfield looking for easy stats. Have you ever seen Grundy help out in defence like Nank does, ever take timely match saving marks. Nic Nat can do what he likes when he likes, which fortunately isn't all that often. Ryder is one who I really rate as a complete ruckman, but fortunately he is on his way out.

And how many can do that, maybe Grundy, but he just hovers around the midfield looking for easy stats. Have you ever seen Grundy help out in defence like Nank does, ever take timely match saving marks. Nic Nat can do what he likes when he likes, which fortunately isn't all that often. Ryder is one who I really rate as a complete ruckman, but fortunately he is on his way out.
Rowan Marshall and Riley O'Brien were the ones I was thinking of. Samson is a good 5cm taller than those blokes and with a couple of preseasons, adding 10kgs could very well rival them.

Samson will certainly benefit alot through coaching by Maric as well as being a full time footballer in a AFL team with both football knowledge as well as fitness and weights coaching. Wouldnt surprise me to see him gain another 5-6kgs in muscle and hopefully build his tank to afl level as the 7.38 2klm is not a great time. Would love to know what his 20mtr time and his repeat 20mtr time is if anybody knows how to source this.

Dusty has promised to take him to his barber to straighten that mop up also

Samson will certainly benefit alot through coaching by Maric as well as being a full time footballer in a AFL team with both football knowledge as well as fitness and weights coaching. Wouldnt surprise me to see him gain another 5-6kgs in muscle and hopefully build his tank to afl level as the 7.38 2klm is not a great time. Would love to know what his 20mtr time and his repeat 20mtr time is if anybody knows how to source this.

Dusty has promised to take him to his barber to straighten that mop up also
Don't know his Yo-Yo times but he did a 3.08 20m at the combine. Didn't realise he is already 96kgs too.

Samson Ryan - Aussie Rules Draft Central

Don't know his Yo-Yo times but he did a 3.08 20m at the combine. Didn't realise he is already 96kgs too.

Samson Ryan - Aussie Rules Draft Central
3.08 for a ruckman is pretty good time Thomson Dows was 3.06 from what i remember and this year Finlay Macrae was 3.09
its just his 2klm that was extremely disappointing really with 7.23 being nearly 1 minute off where we would want him to be but hopefully he can improve this part

3.08 for a ruckman is pretty good time Thomson Dows was 3.06 from what i remember and this year Finlay Macrae was 3.09
its just his 2klm that was extremely disappointing really with 7.23 being nearly 1 minute off where we would want him to be but hopefully he can improve this part
I guess at his height he only took 6 steps for the 20m whereas the others would need 8-10 :moustache:

Rowan Marshall and Riley O'Brien were the ones I was thinking of. Samson is a good 5cm taller than those blokes and with a couple of preseasons, adding 10kgs could very well rival them.
I'll give you O'Brien, just won a club b&f and had a great year so he probably gave most rucks a hard time. Nank was great against Marshall in the final.

Last edited:
The 10th place in this years 2km time trial was 6:20.
Callum Coleman Jones ran 7:35.
Charlie Constable 7:58, Raynor 7:57 and Darcy Fogerty 7:33 (all coming of injuries).

Think you are being a tad harsh with your times, a minute off and he is just outside the top 10.

The 10th place in this years 2km time trial was 6:20.
Callum Coleman Jones ran 7:35.
Charlie Constable 7:58, Raynor 7:57 and Darcy Fogerty 7:33 (all coming of injuries).

Think you are being a tad harsh with your times, a minute off and he is just outside the top 10.
Rayner was well known for having a terrible tank and still has which is holding him back from playing significant time midfield even after 4 years
Fogerty - Well hardly a good comparison and looking more like a bust every day again due to his inability to work
Constable - Cant run no speed and was on the market for free with no takers
CCJ not sure what his reason was but looks a good runner and i would be thinking he either had issue's or something else

Ruckman with bad tanks rarely get drafted and Sam Hayes comes to mind going into the 2017 draft he was considered a top 10-15 pick as the best Ruckman in his year but had the same issue with his aerobic base and was a drafted by port late 3rd round.

I think if we had picked him up later it wouldnt have raised many eye brows but at #40 (#36 originally) It was considered too high , Many are saying it was due to brisbane but who would know if thats correct or not and we are probably using that as an reason because they drafted Smith after us and we did bid on eyre prior to that selection.

Good luck to Samson and i hope he becomes a Gun Ruckman for the next 10 years

Bloody oath he is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back